Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just canceled my reservation for Winter Park tomorrow. I'll be driving up to see that townhouse, but won't squeeze in skiing just to log another day.

Legs will be tired and the snow stake shows absolutely nothing fresh.

Instead I'll see that place and jet home nice and early +/- doing something rash financially.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lamb rogan josh from Durbar (next to the free town of WP parking garage) is quite tasty.

In other news the townhouse was in a weird mishmash neighborhood and it felt cramped. Nope. I also drove to Granby Ranch to see if that’s viable and have deemed it to be too far.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Now *here's* a unique take on why to *not* pay off your mortgage early.

Key quote:

"I stopped aggressively looking for new freelance consulting work. I went from taking on three contracts per month to just one. So instead of working 60 hours, I was only working 20 hours."

:think:
Just read that. Is this guy for real? This sounds like a big joke... on the reader.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Filed taxes on Feb 16. Accepted by IRS on Feb 17. Direct deposit hit my checking account today, Feb 19.

Not bad turnaround time, government, not bad!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sold my Concept2 rower to a med school friend as it was getting used but a pittance what with the Peloton. Just dropped it off at her house, 17 miles northwest of me in Broomfield. Absolutely gorgeous house she has. Four car garage: 1 8’ tall single bay, another 8’ tall double bay, and then a 10 ft tall single bay for a future Sprinter type thing. I envy that garage.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Going to tour this thoroughly weird layout (but apparently unattractive to other buyers as assessed by time on market and price drop) house on Wednesday:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/101-Gcr-5141-Tabernash-CO-80478/2078368852_zpid/

It's in the right location, is plenty big (but again weird layout––3 bedrooms on top floor, open main floor, bottom floor that's basically one big room and an unfinished lower porch/storage area), and potentially could be a bit of a deal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
800k and they cant even hire a decent photog? Dig the sauna and pool table room, too bad no pics of the sun room.
The 3-D walkthrough has that photo. It’s kind of a mess in that area: unfinished and just used as outdoor storage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like a mormon mansion to me.
Not enough bedrooms for that. It was built by some old person with something very particular in mind (probably trying to skirt zoning laws and partition it but busted per the estimation of the realtor).

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Not enough bedrooms for that. It was built by some old person with something very particular in mind (probably trying to skirt zoning laws and partition it but busted per the estimation of the realtor).
Yeah I looked some more and theres also too many windows to be a mormon mansion. What's the appeal location wise? Is this considered a bedroom community for Denver metro?

It appears similar to the Cle Elum/Bellevue commute that is erupting in WA.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah I looked some more and theres also too many windows to be a mormon mansion. What's the appeal location wise? Is this considered a bedroom community for Denver metro?

No, much too far from Denver for commuting, and over a mountain pass that gets a fair amount of snow. Its draw is that it's about 20 minutes away from the Winter Park ski resort, and in the thick of other biking/hiking/summer activities.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

People do that?

I hate that drive. When there isn't a proper traffic jam you are stuck behind a truck struggling with the incline in the right lanes and some space cadet doing 50 MPH in the left lane for no observable reason.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
People do that?

I hate that drive. When there isn't a proper traffic jam you are stuck behind a truck struggling with the incline in the right lanes and some space cadet doing 50 MPH in the left lane for no observable reason.
Oh yeah the Cle Elum/Roslyn/Easton housing markets are reflecting west side bedroom community pricing these days. The rational is "we used to commute from Everett but now that take 2 hours. Now it's just 1 hour and we get to drive 75 mph the whole way!"

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What Bizarro-Land are *you* living in?? :rofl:
You should see the cottage traffic shitshow around Toronto. Every weekend in the summer there is a mass exodus out to the boonies. The traffic on the freeways coming back into the city on Sunday afternoons is absolutely bananas.

Luckily, the Friday night rush has slowly moved to Thursdays over the last few years.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You should see the cottage traffic shitshow around Toronto. Every weekend in the summer there is a mass exodus out to the boonies. The traffic on the freeways coming back into the city on Sunday afternoons is absolutely bananas.
Sounds like I-70 'round these parts... except 70 is mostly a 2-laner for the mountain portion. You folks have larger freeways, don'tcha?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sounds like I-70 'round these parts... except 70 is mostly a 2-laner for the mountain portion. You folks have larger freeways, don'tcha?
When the express lane opens it'll be 3 until Floyd Hill, 2 just for a few miles until the first tunnel before Idaho Springs, then 3 to just past the origin of Hwy 40, 2 to the Eisenhower Tunnel.

This is a big part of why I'm avoiding the Tunnel. That's not getting better. The express lane may actually help things going up...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wish. Toronto has one freeway that has some spots that are like 15 lanes wide, but that is the only freeway which crosses the entire city (besides one very expensive toll road), so it is always fucked up with traffic.

But outside of Toronto there is a lack of freeways - there is only one that goes North. To get to Muskoka which is directly north of Toronto, you're stuck taking this semi-divided road (see below) and it eventually just turns into a normal two lane road. This is kind of like I70 in a way - I always remember getting stuck in traffic next to the dog food factory on I70 when I lived there. :bad:

Other cottage areas here just don't have any highways, only two lane country type roads. Those ones get uber fucked up in the summer.

The cottage areas are super nice and the concept of a cottage sounds good, but having to deal with that traffic and crazyness every time you want to use it, just seems a little loopy.

This picture is kind of funny - I'm guessing its at least ten years old. Those construction pilons were only removed last year - that big rock cliff on the left got blown the heck up.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I wish. Toronto has one freeway that has some spots that are like 15 lanes wide, but that is the only freeway which crosses the entire city (besides one very expensive toll road), so it is always fucked up with traffic.

Other cottage areas here just don't have any highways, only two lane country type roads. Those ones get uber fucked up in the summer.

The cottage areas are super nice and the concept of a cottage sounds good, but having to deal with that traffic and crazyness every time you want to use it, just seems a little loopy.
To keep this on-topic... this sounds pretty much like U.S. 40 from Tabernash to I-70... mostly just a two-lane "country" road. This portion is actually *better* in the winter because this is a major summer thoroughfare to get to a *bunch* of popular places in the summer.

The section of 40 between Granby and Winter Park can be a nightmare...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
To keep this on-topic... this sounds pretty much like U.S. 40 from Tabernash to I-70... mostly just a two-lane "country" road. This portion is actually *better* in the winter because this is a major summer thoroughfare to get to a *bunch* of popular places in the summer.

The section of 40 between Granby and Winter Park can be a nightmare...
I looked at that road and yeah that is what a lot of "main" roads out to cottage country is like.

Its amazing how one simple stop sign or slow traffic light can fuck up traffic for hours. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I looked at that road and yeah that is what a lot of "main" roads out to cottage country is like.

Its amazing how one simple stop sign or slow traffic light can fuck up traffic for hours. :D
There are two poorly times traffic lights in the two stop light town of Sultan Washington that backs up Highway 2 for a good 20 miles every weekend.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Meanwhile Toshi is probably twirling his monocle mustache while having his Tesla* chauffeur him around all willy nilly.

*hasn't actually read enough recently to know if even still owns that thing or not. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sold it in July. Too small for family ultimately. PHEV Minivan and almost always parked Land Cruiser these days