Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1. I call bullshit on 47 minutes to go over the pass.
2. G town would leave you closer to Abasin, LL, Copper, Summit, etc. That was more my point
I’ve found 45 minutes from the Empire/40 exit to Winter Park is pretty fair with lollygaggers.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I know you're not interested in Granby Ranch but I would think your wife and little ones would be content to ski / bike there unless / until they get better at skiing.

I lived in HSS back in the late 90s, and don't recognize "Grabhersnatch" / WP these days.

Unless you're planning to rent it out I think the ski area $premium pricing$ isn't worth the investment...

But I am am one of the "poors" without a monacle on this board

My buddy likes to say HSS is the Banana Belt vs Fraser which is mostly true re: shoulder season and snow.

Similarly Granby doesn't get near the snow that WP gets.

I liked living there but Grand County is very bipolar politically...

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Saw weird house and a conventional condo, in the same greater development.

We kind of like the big house. Terrible finishes as it is (tile on decks with bad plywood underneath, mirrored closet doors, fancy tile vs marble flooring everywhere, bad paint colors). We would eventually do some major configuration changes as well due to the quasi duplex layout currently in place.

But entirely liveable for a few years, and as my cash flow grows more clear (after my 0.13% rate student loans paid in particular and using a HELOC after getting below 80% LTV) we could get everything done via contractors. Or hire @stoney for a month, perhaps.

We did not like the condo. Cramped layout and low end finishes and will end up in a bidding war.

So I think we will offer $745 on the house (to account for the decks needing to be redone soonish) and roll with that.

Edit: the offer is in at $745k now. KeyBank updated their estimate for their low-down two-loan offering for this price, with $85k cash to close.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You should see the cottage traffic shitshow around Toronto. Every weekend in the summer there is a mass exodus out to the boonies. The traffic on the freeways coming back into the city on Sunday afternoons is absolutely bananas.

Luckily, the Friday night rush has slowly moved to Thursdays over the last few years.
Similar thing happens here. 2x the normal trip time if you're lucky. Pretty par for the course in many north american cities.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
annotated.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 3.34.05 PM.png

Thar be a cracked molar. Circled in yellow is bone loss along the back edge of it, which rules out a root canal as the simple fix. There's also bone loss along the apex, down low, which is probably how the infection led to my neck swelling up under the jaw.

Instead of a root canal done today then I get to have it pulled outright (next Wednesday) and then replaced with an implant with cap, an apparently multi-visit, multi-month deal. I shall be paying for several dentists' new mountain bikes, apparently.

View attachment 157100View attachment 157101

Thar be a cracked molar. Circled in yellow is bone loss along the back edge of it, which rules out a root canal as the simple fix. There's also bone loss along the apex, down low, which is probably how the infection led to my neck swelling up under the jaw.

Instead of a root canal done today then I get to have it pulled outright (next Wednesday) and then replaced with an implant with cap, an apparently multi-visit, multi-month deal. I shall be paying for several dentists' new mountain bikes, apparently.
Been there, done that - this is severe bone loss, how long was it acting up?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

:panic: :panic:

And to think I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth out in about 2 weeks. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Been there, done that - this is severe bone loss, how long was it acting up?
Annoyingly, off and on for about 18 months. I go into the dentist every 6 months and would tell them about it, and they'd poke about, take an x-ray, not find anything.

They recently got their in-office CT and that's what showed this…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:panic: :panic:

And to think I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth out in about 2 weeks. :D
I had all my wisdom teeth pulled over Christmas break back in high school. I then played trumpet in a gig on New Year's Eve, 5 days or so out. That was a very painful and stupid thing to do, in retrospect. Do not recommend.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

First image kind of looked like a baby alien head in the womb.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

My dad unearthed and digitized some old family videos. He apparently had a penchant for buying really horrible video gear! Anyway, psychedelic part-coloration aside, here's tiny 8.5 year old Toshi accompanying my 2 year older sister at a recital back in the day, legs a-swingin'

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No word on the buyer’s response to our offer as of yet. They have until 6 pm I believe.
They countered with $767,350 and changing a few minor fees from theirs to pay to mine.

I’m going to come back with $762, I think. Will chat with realtor tomorrow. Have until 5 pm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did you get any idea of what utilities run in that McMansion during the winter?
No, but we will get 12 mo utility bills as part of the pre-closing paperwork per the contract. It is also natural gas + radiant heat (not sure if all hydronics or forced air as well), so at least not baseboard electric as in so many old WP/Fraser condos!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As part of the prep for the mountain house I did what must be done: ordered a second Peloton. This one will be a Bike+ and will live here.

I’ll cart the OG Bike to Tabernash—likely best to rent from Enterprise Commercial as the mileage fees for U-Haul around town rentals would be absurd.

And yes, @jonKranked, I know where I’ll put this Peloton: on the main floor, looking out over the deck towards Winter Park and the rest of those mountains.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As part of the prep for the mountain house I did what must be done: ordered a second Peloton. This one will be a Bike+ and will live here.

I’ll cart the OG Bike to Tabernash—likely best to rent from Enterprise Commercial as the mileage fees for U-Haul around town rentals would be absurd.

And yes, @jonKranked, I know where I’ll put this Peloton: on the main floor, looking out over the deck towards Winter Park and the rest of those mountains.
I thought the point of a second house was to escape such nonsense?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got updated cash to close estimate (overestimate for compliance reasons but close). $86k so 11%. Still better than 20% + fees with a conventional loan.

Primary loan is locked at 3% fixed x 30 years, which is acceptable even if 0.25% higher than how rates were a few weeks ago. Secondary (to make up from conforming limit to 89% LTV) is unknown but really doesn't matter that much since it'll be the first to be attacked when/if I have any extra cash after these new expenses!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Basement has 100% more climbing wall now. More holds coming in the mail. Baby Aya for scale.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
3700 sqf on a quarter acre? :rofl:
It backs up onto an open space/creek. Views are quite lovely.

On that note, things are moving forward. Realtor made a to do list with dates. Checked off so far:

- dropped off earnest money at title company this morning after finding a branch of theirs actually staffed and open (gah)
- booked radon test and home inspection, the latter for Wednesday of next week when I'll be around anyway. I'll see the final bits of the inspection and then ski a bit

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It backs up onto an open space/creek. Views are quite lovely.

On that note, things are moving forward. Realtor made a to do list with dates. Checked off so far:

- dropped off earnest money at title company this morning after finding a branch of theirs actually staffed and open (gah)
- booked radon test and home inspection, the latter for Wednesday of next week when I'll be around anyway. I'll see the final bits of the inspection and then ski a bit
3/4 of a mil for a quarter acre lot is still insane.

around here that much money can get you similar sized new construction on an acre or more depending on how much farther you get away from the city.

i'll give you the views are much better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just poked around zillow out of curiosity, i found a 29 acre lot for $600k less than 30 minutes from me. it has the entirety of a 200' hill on it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is this the same house from zillow with he sun room basement?
Yes, with the super weird layout that's not even half captured by the photos.
3/4 of a mil for a quarter acre lot is still insane.

around here that much money can get you similar sized new construction on an acre or more depending on how much farther you get away from the city.

i'll give you the views are much better.
And it's not 14 minutes from Winter Park ski resort, which is kind of the entire point here.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's awesome, and also explains a lot.
Oh, I thought that part was clear but apparently only the locals got it. This isn't some random house to be in the mountains (although that, too). It's 100% to make skiing a better experience for my family in terms of driving, hanging out up there, weekends, etc.