Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And let strangers secret bodily fluids all over your softgoods.
Secrete, albeit possibly in secret

We're doing the Vacasa Linens Program. So it'll be their sets of linens (ok, purchased by us through them) and them cleaning 'em.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 158726

In case y'all were wondering, if I elected to drive a Ford Transit I'd probably configure it something like this

XLT Long 250 High Roof, EcoBoost, 3.73 LSD, AWD. Wouldn't fit in the garage (or the work garage!), sure. But the headroom!
#vanlife dreaming, figures looked up as wife FaceTimed with her mom

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 4.15.02 PM.png

I like spreadsheets

extended rambling elided, nothing actually nsfw
Thoughts:

That 235" length for the Transit is for the long variant. Transits come in regular, long, extended in theory, but the passenger wagon is not available in the regular length so that's that. That length would mean that it'd be a driveway-only vehicle at home, which makes it much more difficult to potentially replace the Land Cruiser. I'd also have to downgrade to a surface lot at work or get a tiny EV or the like. Much complications abound, in other words.

Passenger volume wasn't reported for my 100 series Land Cruiser so that's the figure from the 200. The 100 actually probably was a few cubes better, actually, as its passenger compartment is/was taller. This figure, as per its name, excludes cargo volume behind the last row so that's why the Yukon XL (Suburban) and Yukon (Tahoe) are nigh identical. The Transit's figure is cheating since it's a volume, the roof is high (by definition), and it's covering 4 rows, not 3. Ultimately not a super useful metric, it appears.

The cargo volume behind the 3rd row data are amusing. The non-XL Yukon is actually pretty comparable to a minivan these days, and the XL/Suburban is more capacious at the expense of 15" extra length, 20" over the minivans. My Land Cruiser isn't very useful with all 3 rows in play. The Transit would be a tremendous (likely loud, echo-y) box behind the 3rd row, with the 4th row pulled and stowed somewhere.

Ultimately this quarter-baked idea isn't going to go anywhere beyond looking up spec sheets and playing with configurators. While moving, seated, and belted within a Transit it wouldn't be any better for passengers, which negates the ability to stand and walk about when not belted. For me driving it it'd be faster (EcoBoost + 10 speed) and would have non-full speed range adaptive cruise, but being too bulky for my and the work garage would be a deal killer and a half. And speed + adaptive alone in a similar package to what I have pale in the face of the cost of anything newer than my 2007 beast.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Married 12 years ago today. Derek (@BAH, right?) did our wedding photos back then.

78FFB665-9FDD-443D-B681-79088F8439B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Happy Anniversary. Have you kept up with Derek? Wondering if he keeled over from only eating raw food.
Yeah, he’s active on Facebook. Driving class 8 trucks delivering paper goods around Montana, and riding fatbikes and sitting in folding camp chairs in front of nice views (carried on rides) with SSW, aka his wife Sara. Or Sarah. One of the two

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, he’s active on Facebook. Driving class 8 trucks delivering paper goods around Montana, and riding fatbikes and sitting in folding camp chairs in front of nice views (carried on rides) with SSW, aka his wife Sara. Or Sarah. One of the two

Why not both, he seemed pretty open minded.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
7912BE57-BD56-4802-AF05-4D45D5778CBD.jpeg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
being too bulky for my and the work garage would be a deal killer and a half
After clearing off heavy snow from the south-facing Land Cruiser in the driveway this morning I can attest that not fitting in my garage will indeed be a deal killer for any future vehicles. There was more snow on the car than on my patio. Probably a solid 5" and super, super wet and dense. Gross.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Clearly you need another home with a larger car haus
You jest, I realize, but that's not really a thing in my neighborhood (Stapleton-renamed-to-Central Park, because Walker Stapleton was in the KKK).

We have a 2.5 car garage, 8' garage door height.

Two other builders build bigger, fancier houses with 3 car garages (3 wide or 2 wide, 1 bay doubly deep) but those builders don't use the crazy energy efficient construction that we wanted. Plus a 3 car garage isn't that much more useful than a 2.5 for us, since we have sports crap and the like for that 0.5 side that'd be displaced elsewhere. And still 8' height.

Our builder did make a later, larger series of houses with the same efficient construction and 3 car garages... but their prices are Seattle-level insane, more or less.

Ain't nobody got time for that--got second houses to pay off.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Updates on houses mentioned the last few months in this thread:

Going to see this place on Friday:

If it's a sane layout then I shall put in an offer, and probably be promptly overbid since I don't plan to escalate.
In other news the townhouse was in a weird mishmash neighborhood and it felt cramped. Nope.
1st up, the cramped condo in Fraser. Sold for $710k at 1,499 sq ft with a $190/mo HOA.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.44.08 PM.png

Saw weird house and a conventional condo, in the same greater development.

We did not like the condo. Cramped layout and low end finishes and will end up in a bidding war.
Second is the conventional condo in Tabernash (the weird house as above the one we're closing on on May 7). Sold for $700k at 2,146 sq ft with a $42/mo sub-HOA.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.46.09 PM.png

Check out this horror show next door.

Chick who lives in it bought it 7 months ago, for 270k and it's been a non stop parade of contractors ever since, It's now back on the market for a 300k asking. It's 2 bedrooms and fucking TINY. There is absolutely nothing rational about what's happening to the market here.
Next is 'squeeb's neighbor. Sold at $323.5k at 955 sq ft, flipped from $270k 8 months before. No HOA, at least. Not sure if neighbors add or detract value. :D

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.49.34 PM.png

Given all this above fuckery, my "extreme value" pink Tabernash box at $206 sq/ft with a $250/year HOA doesn't seem that insane at all, IMO.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Next is 'squeeb's neighbor. Sold at $323.5k at 955 sq ft, flipped from $270k 8 months before. No HOA, at least. Not sure if neighbors add or detract value.
The fuck are you talking about? Living next to me adds a solid $1.75 to your home value. :fancy:

Edit; on a related note, this house had a "coming soon" sign go up in front of it two days ago. Just a couple doors further down from the aforementioned home. Much more similar in layout and square footage to our house. I believe it's been pretty significantly updated since the pictures in the Zillow listing were taken. I will watch it's sale with great interest.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All that wasted space for the driveway and a front lawn that’s not all that useful (my house definitely having the latter problem as well).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Garage door spring has slowly been getting weak or maladjusted or whatever. Gave up the ghost today, possibly egged on by increase stiction in the tracks in the cold weather.

So now the Land Cruiser, moved to the garage to be the uncovered-by-snow ride tomorrow, is stuck in the garage and I shall have to clear off and take the FWD minivan on all seasons tomorrow. Hmph

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Garage door spring has slowly been getting weak or maladjusted or whatever. Gave up the ghost today, possibly egged on by increase stiction in the tracks in the cold weather.

So now the Land Cruiser, moved to the garage to be the uncovered-by-snow ride tomorrow, is stuck in the garage and I shall have to clear off and take the FWD minivan on all seasons tomorrow. Hmph
Pull the release on your opener and HTFU, princess.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pull the release on your opener and HTFU, princess.

:D
There's something more jammed up in there. I could get it about a foot open but then it just wouldn't budge past there, with all manner of ominous creaky-cracky noises.

Ankmar shall deal with it this afternoon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Garage mystery solved: two broken springs.

One must have broken a while back, yet our fancy battery-backup garage door opener was strong enough to still pull up the door (albeit slowly).

Both shall be replaced thusly. Ankmar dude is here. Even with him and me both pushing up we couldn’t lift the door even with the emergency release pulled.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Garage mystery solved: two broken springs.

One must have broken a while back, yet our fancy battery-backup garage door opener was strong enough to still pull up the door (albeit slowly).

Both shall be replaced thusly. Ankmar dude is here. Even with him and me both pushing up we couldn’t lift the door even with the emergency release pulled.
Who was it that tried to replace his garage door spring(s) and lost a finger or two?