Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Starting at 59990. :dead:

I know it's come up before, but we clearly have different aesthetic tastes. That front end is hideous.
Ah, and since GM umbrella no Fed tax credit. I agree the grille is huge but such are the ways of cars nowadays.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Starting at 59990. :dead:

I know it's come up before, but we clearly have different aesthetic tastes. That front end is hideous.

It's even worse when you realize they took that front end shape, made it the "design language" and tried to reproduce it ad nauseum in the interior. Much like in the late 90s when Ford realized their logo was an oval and then attempted to make everything an oval.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Baby Aya finally got her own Giant Costco Bear(tm) today, as she recently moved to the floor bed. (Her prior baby cage was too small for such company.)

I've had this bear for years in preparation for this day. Other two kids have their own, and Mariko still sleeps with hers. Yuna instead sleeps with a similarly brown and fuzzy pillow that she stole from me.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The fuck are you talking about? Living next to me adds a solid $1.75 to your home value. :fancy:

Edit; on a related note, this house had a "coming soon" sign go up in front of it two days ago. Just a couple doors further down from the aforementioned home. Much more similar in layout and square footage to our house. I believe it's been pretty significantly updated since the pictures in the Zillow listing were taken. I will watch it's sale with great interest.
Officially on the market some time this afternoon. It's already parade of home. First couple I saw was retirement age couple in a tesla with WA plates, car parked out front right now is a CTS.

I got a bet with my neighbor on final sale price. I'm betting 375k. I owe him a beer for the place next door.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The Delica L400 (so 1994-2006, not that any but the first few years are 25 year eligible at this point) in high roof Crystal Lite flavor is amazing. A tall minivan, about 81" tall, diesel, 4WD with low range, fold flat seats.

Why did we not get such awesome vehicles on these shores? The Japanese knew what's up with #vanlife way before our bro-dudes caught on.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The Delica L400 (so 1994-2006, not that any but the first few years are 25 year eligible at this point) in high roof Crystal Lite flavor is amazing. A tall minivan, about 81" tall, diesel, 4WD with low range, fold flat seats.

Why did we not get such awesome vehicles on these shores? The Japanese knew what's up with #vanlife way before our bro-dudes caught on.

#solar oven

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
NG, electric, water (automatic) switchovers all set up for the Mountain House.

Internet service has an unexpected hitch. The current owners have CenturyLink DSL. Their availability tool showed 60 Mbps service available when I checked a few months ago.

Now it shows no availability. I thus called their customer support people to see if it is some address lookup snafu, and it’s not. Instead they have a certain amount of bandwidth allocated to the neighborhood and they’re at the cap.

Until someone else drops their service I thus can’t sign up for internet service! In theory I can time it with the current owners, I guess. In reality I’ll be checking their website every day to see when it lets me through—the automatic gatekeeper for that was something the phone reps couldn’t get around either.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How much does an unlimited mobile data only plan cost?

Could just use that instead of a land provider and build it into the cost of the rental or something?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How much does an unlimited mobile data only plan cost?

Could just use that instead of a land provider and build it into the cost of the rental or something?
Going from two lines on Visible as we currently have for my wife's and my phones to three, the third being a jetpack, would be about $200 fixed costs and $20/mo increased net cost.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Checked the clearance sign on my work garage when leaving yesterday. 7’ 6”, 90”. Home garage clearance is 96”.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Internet mini-saga updates:

Still no luck on CenturyLink's site to sign up for DSL.

The eBayed CradlePoint MBR1400 is slated to arrive this Friday. Its associated Visible SIM arrived yesterday. I activated it and its account on my iPhone, got it set up with Party Line billing (so now at $90/mo for three lines from $70/mo for two lines before), and then swapped back to my real-number SIM without issue.

I've got the APN settings from other posters who claim to have gotten similar non-approved devices to work on Visible. The settings boil down to these 4 APNs:

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 4.39.26 PM.png

I also chatted with the people (person?!) at Slopeside Internet. They're a local long range WiFi place with gigabit fiber connection(s) at Fraser and several repeater (?) towers in the local neighborhoods. The Mountain House is apparently close to one such tower.

Slopeside certainly doesn't advertise their wares. Their site just has a logo, a phone number, and an email address. From speaking with the dude on the phone what I'll be able to sign up for now is 40 Mbps service @ $95/mo or so. Later in the summer when they get equipment upgrades they anticipate offering up to 100 Mbps service at an unknown correspondingly higher price.

The Slopeside dude also mentioned that CenturyLink DSL service in the area isn't thought of favorably, likely because they're oversubscribed for their shared bandwidth. He was surprised to hear that CenturyLink wasn't letting additional customers in the neighborhood sign up, and guessed that was because some local heavy hitters in the neighborhood had complained about the level of service.

Cliffs Notes: The Mountain House shall have internet services when all has been said and done. It'll have Visible LTE tethered to the CradlePoint as a backup, assuming the APN settings work, and I'll most likely be using a local long range WiFi outfit as the main connection.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, peanut gallery:

What should the official Vacasa-kosher name of the Mountain House be?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.46.46 PM.png

Modern necessities for the Mountain House. Wife likes Sakura House as the Vacasa name so it probably shall become so. Getting to the end of the list of things to buy save for comforters, and that needs to wait until closing so that we can verify bed dimensions.

One of the chargers is for here in Denver in the basement guest bedroom that currently only has a Qi pad. The other 6 are for the 4 upstairs bedrooms, the loft, and the basement. Each of those can charge two phones and one Watch simultaneously (the second phone in the AirPods spot in the product photos) so will cover a whole bedroom just fine.

The charging station will be for the kitchen. 60W USB-C port for charging a modern laptop or iPad Pro, 5 low power USB ports to charge miscellaneous phones/Kindles/what have you.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Starlink order placed, for internet service at the mountain house. "Late 2021" vagueness so there well may be some time of overlap with the local wireless outfit. That's ok by me.

2) CradlePoint router arrived, which was in theory for tethering via a Visible SIM. I tried all of the suggestions on the interwebs to try to get it to work, and it didn't. It shall be donated to Goodwill in turn. I'm not going to mess around with a jetpack and further such cell-based business since it seems like between the local wireless company and/or Starlink I should be set.

3) Got my closing disclosure. Estimated cash to close was $66,600 (above the $20k earnest money). Final cash to close came in at $66,469.61. 0.102% to be paid as a point-fraction, 3.000% x 30 years fixed on the main loan, funky two loan setup to bring up to ~90% LTV.

I set up 9 AM on May 7 for closing at the title company. Since I set the time and it's in Denver, not up in the mountains, I imagine no one from the seller's side will be present.

I'm going to call the title company tomorrow to verify that I can pay with a cashier's check instead of wire transfer ($3 fee at my shared branch credit union instead of $30); and that the cashier's check for cash to close should be made out to the title company.

4) Given the whole closing-in-Denver/house-in-mountains deal I'm going to do the walkthrough via Zoom with my realtor. Time is tbd. Not sure if this happens, say, the night before, or after I've signed or what. I've clearly never done this before.

Shit's getting real, yo.