Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mistbox update: it said to not leave it on during freezing conditions. It freezes a lot here over many months. I left it on. It froze up and now leaks like mad. Shall be disposed of once I find the proprietary tool to unlock it from its mount.

Just as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Italian PHEV minivan has occasionally been giving a "Put vehicle in Park to open sliding door" warning on the dashboard, while I'm driving with no one else in the car. (So no kids hitting the button.)

And now I swear that at least twice I've parked the van in the garage, opening one door intentionally to let car wash and/or rain moisture out into the open, and come back to it with the door closed.

Tonight I took a photo of the open sliding door to see who's crazy now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Italian PHEV minivan has occasionally been giving a "Put vehicle in Park to open sliding door" warning on the dashboard, while I'm driving with no one else in the car. (So no kids hitting the button.)

And now I swear that at least twice I've parked the van in the garage, opening one door intentionally to let car wash and/or rain moisture out into the open, and come back to it with the door closed.

Try it now

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is it doing it to save the internal lights from flattening the normal 12v system?
Didn’t used to do this. Door would remain open for kids to clamber in in the morning. It turns its dome lights off automatically on a timer anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have had the oil changed on it once already

perhaps it is time to trade it in (this might actually make financial sense if the trade in offer is good what with Fed, CO, and Chrysler credits/incentives).

DEED94AA-880A-4383-890B-049732E1E132.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am pleased to report to you all a bowel transit time of 20 hours

experimentally confirmed via ingestion of corn

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did zoom walkthrough of Mountain Haus this afternoon. Looks clean. Pool table and TVs were left behind, settling those questions.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Renewed Ikon Base for me, Winter Park only for wife, and got a $30 4-and-under pass for Baby Aya as well.

Mariko and Yuna will get their passes through the comp center.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Closing part 1 of 2 done. KeyBank got their final closing disclosure to me this morning at 8:26 AM for a 9 AM closing. $2,098.40 coming back to me as a refund, which is nice, I guess in that I'm paying that much less in various and sundry fees.

However, they still don't have their shit together for the documents for the second loan part (recall that I have a two loan structure on this one: one at the $548,250 conforming limit and the other to take it to 90% LTV). We waited in the title company's office for an hour but it wasn't forthcoming, so we set up a second appointment at 2:30 PM to go back and finish up the (hopefully complete at that time) paperwork.

I'm on clinical service this day. Outpatient CT/MR, at least, to allow for flexibility, and I'm going to use all of that flexibility as it turns out. Read a few cases last night and will do the rest of my "day's" work after dinner tonight. No sense in going in just for a little bit only to drive down for Closing #2 and then finish up the balance later yet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What could go wrong!
From my perspective or that of the bank? I went through the underwriting wringer and with house #2 (and super low rate student loans still hanging around) I'll be a touch under 31% DTI as I calculate it. Low risk ultimately from both sides of the equation.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Closing 2 is now done. Final figures:

$548,250 (conforming limit) on one note. 30 years fixed at 3.000%, paid a tenth of a point.

Second note is structured as a HELOC as far as I can tell, fully drawn at $137,500 (from memory). 30 year term. Variable. Prime plus 3.249% so not great! This shall be the first one to attack down the road for sure as the prime rate is 3.25% currently.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Put in application for HELOC on Denver place. Proceeds will be used to pay for improvements on the Tabernash place (I know interest will thus not be deductible, not sure if that even is a thing with the current Trump-era tax law anyway) and also quite possibly pay down a portion of the 6.499% second loan on the Tabernash place as well, because much better rate and all.

Also put in a service application for Slopeside Internet, the more homebrew of two long range WiFi ISPs in the area. They have a month to month option for a $200 additional one-time fee, which I elected for since I'm signed up for Starlink, whenever they may touch down in the area. Outside of the one-time fee and equipment and installation fees similarly not waived with month-to-month, it'll be $90/mo for their highest level of service, ~40 Mbps.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good real world review of a Super C 4x4 with its build quality issues (sealing!) and clearance limitations.

Also see discussion in there re OCCC, super low on these F-550 based 4x4 Super Cs with big houses. To solve that Thor has finally grudgingly gone to the F-600 chassis for one 2022 floor plan, as I had speculated about a year or so ago here:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, that’s pretty shitty.

But if I’m approved to draw out $140k equity @ prime - 1.01% from the Denver house as I applied for (which is very reasonable given what it’s worth on paper) then I could, say, pay down the 6.499% second note on the Tabernash house by $100k and put the rest towards the house itself (deck/wall, painting, various).

Take $100k off the Tabernash balances and then I’m in non-conforming but << 80% LTV territory and thus could immediately refinance to one note ideally still at less than 3.000%, getting rid of the rest of the bad-rate debt in one fell swoop.

A shell game, I tell ya! But I think this could well work. Lack of deductibility of interest on the 2.24% Denver HELOC given what its funds would go to is true but also doesn’t bother me at all in the face of the alternative.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For @Pesqueeb 's shuddering benefit:

As of 5/6/21, I'd gotten debts down to about $609k, about 23% below baseline of July 2019.

As of 5/7/21 that debt is up to about $1.3mm. But a new asset as well, to be fair. Million-plus-debtor club.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If y'all need help sleeping, here's what I wrote up for the house info binder that'll be on the counter.

Welcome to Sakura House!

Here is some information that we hope is useful to you during your stay here:

- WiFi info (SakuraHouse / SakuraPassword)
- Vacasa local contacts
- House quirks
- Local information (food, activities, ski area info)
- HOA rules and regulations
o Cliffs Notes: Quiet hours from 10 PM-7 AM, no open fires save for in an attended BBQ, no trash outside (bears!), no RVs/trailers/motorcycles parked on the driveway (inside garage is ok)

WiFi info

SSID SakuraHouse, password SakuraPassword.

For the Rokus attached to the TVs, feel free to use the logged-in accounts for Netflix, Disney+, etc. if you wish, or log in as yourself if you prefer.

The Klipsch vintage-looking speaker on the main floor is a Bluetooth speaker: toggle switch for power, the knob next to it lets you select Bluetooth as the source, then push in the source select button for 3 seconds to enter pairing mode. Once paired you shouldn’t have to do that last part again.

Vacasa local contacts

In case you run into any issues during your stay, please contact Person 1 at phone number / email, or Person 2 at phone number / email.

House quirks

To lock the deadbolt when you leave the house via the front door, hit the Y (for Yale Locks) icon on the touchpad outside once you’ve shut the door firmly. It’ll make a little electrical motor noise at you and the deadbolt will engage.

The heating is all via radiant floors. There are 9 thermostats controlling 8 zones scattered about the house. It’ll take a bit of time for the perceived temperature to change. Please close all windows and leave the thermostats at 60 degrees at the end of your stay!

Sauna instructions: The sauna is in the basement. The door handle doesn’t rotate, just pull it. The light switch is the round pad—touch it to toggle between three light levels. Please turn the heat off in the sauna when you’re done!

Vacasa will take care of all the linens you use during your stay. Please leave used towels on the floor when you’re done with them. Don’t worry about the bedding—they’ll take care of that, too.

There’s a trash bin in the garage. The trash company will come in via the garage and empty it every other Friday, so if you’re staying here on a Friday don’t be surprised if the garage door is opened briefly for this! Unfortunately, recycling and food waste service isn’t offered curbside out here in Grand County.

The key code for the left garage as you face it from the street is 12345. The righthand garage is fine to use for motorcycles or very small cars, I suppose, but the fridge is kind of in the way. Feel free to help yourself to snacks and drinks from the garage fridge, by the way! This is your treat for reading this far.

There’s a 10 kW level 2 EVSE in the garage. Please do charge your PHEV or BEV vehicles from it while you’re staying here! There are also two 6 kW level 2 EVSE in the lower level of the town garage in Winter Park (just off 40 on Vasquez), but those spots are often taken and you’re only supposed to charge there for two hours, I believe. There are no EVSE at Winter Park or Mary Jane parking areas as of this writing. (Copper Mountain, not that we’re particularly close to it, has two level 2 EVSE in one of their outdoor parking lots—they used to be listed on ChargePoint but now are semi-secret and almost always occupied.)

There’s a Peloton Bike in the office on the main floor. Feel free to log in with your own Peloton account on it. If you don’t have a Peloton account yourself it’s still usable as a non-smart exercise bike, if you will. The red knob controls resistance. The pedals are two-sided, with one side flat for running shoes or the like, and the other SPD.

Local information

Tabernash Tavern is the only real restaurant in Tabernash proper, but there are many options within a short drive. The restaurants up at Devil’s Thumb Ranch are nice, but beware that their macaroni and cheese is kind of weird for little kids’ palates. Fraser has the Safeway deli section for more inexpensive prepared foods + the grocery itself, Elevation pizza, and an Azteca. In Winter Park we like Volario’s, The Peak (try the jalapeno fritters!), Durbar Nepalese & Indian, and Smokehouse BBQ.

For activities there’s skiing, tubing, mountain biking (both at Trestle and on local trails—check out Trailforks), fishing for trout in the stocked stream right in the neighborhood here, Devil’s Thumb Ranch (horseback riding and petting goats are perennial favorites), Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA activities (including crafts and cross-country trails), and just sitting on the porch and enjoying the view of the mountains. Again, feel free to help yourself to drinks and snacks from the garage fridge!

The main skiing options are Winter Park/Mary Jane and Granby Ranch.

Granby is a small area about 15 minutes north of Sakura House. It is said to be good for young kids, but my kids grew up skiing Winter Park so I can’t tell you if that’s true!

Winter Park and Mary Jane are the same resort, accessed from two sides of the base, more or less. Winter Park Resort is about 14 minutes south of Sakura House, with the turnoff to Mary Jane just a mile or three further south on 40.

Mary Jane parking is free, and some of the lots either are right at the base area by the Super Gauge or bunny slope lifts (yes, Mary Jane has some beginner terrain, albeit accessed with somewhat terrifying-if-you-have-young-kids old school two person lifts). Some other Mary Jane lots are right off of Corona Way, which is a cat track that goes from the Sunnyside/Panoramic lift bases down to the main base area at Super Gauge’s base. That cat track gets icy quicker than anything else! Another thing to consider is that the Mary Jane access road and lots can be treacherous in snowstorms—I’ve gotten stuck at Dotsero Junction in a FWD vehicle before, so don’t repeat my error!

Mary Jane’s terrain has bump runs available, yes, but you can also ski groomers on that side of the mountain if you want (like Mary Jane Trail itself, Edelweiss, Bluebell). If there’s fresh snow I advise waiting out the inevitable crowd to head up Panoramic, head down straight under the lifts until you hit the trees, then cut left into the trees after about 1000 more feet.

Winter Park parking is more complicated. If you are down with paying for the day the most convenient option is the village garage, $30/day as of this writing but quite possibly more expensive now! It’s a short walk to the gondola from there, past the rental shop and Starbucks so that your kids can extract a hot chocolate from you on the way back to the car. The other lots are either a short-to-long walk or a shuttle bus ride away.

Winter Park’s terrain spans the gamut. There are trees, bumps, groomers, and, as you’ll find out, a million oddly off-camber runs with a flat section here or there just to infuriate snowboarders. I like ripping carved turns down Cranmer and playing in the trees personally, but there really should be something for everyone. It’s like 5 mountains in one.

For better or worse, Tabernash isn’t on the Winter Park town shuttle routes, so you’ll have to use your rental car to get around.

[then a copy of the HOA rules]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I do love that the house has a level 2 charger. That should be a searchable option.
Yeah, I'll prod Vacasa to include the EV charging, Peloton, and forthcoming hot tub (which Vacasa will put in but needs to await repaneling and possibly reinforcing the deck(s)) front and center in the ads!

The EVSE isn't in yet, as the outlet isn't in. But I have a responsible electrician contact who said he can stop by this week to figure materials and do it next week. Trying to coordinate everything via text and that keypad lock.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

finally caught a photo of the message popping up while driving, indicating the car is attempting to self-actuate the power sliding door

Last edited: