Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
looks like my curiosity will be sated come Monday!

I'm at work until 10 PM, so let's update the math for $300/mo depreciation for a hypothetical $30k net base commercial-trim Lightning, 1000 miles/mo per upcoming year(s) estimates with me driving the kids to downtown for dropoff regularly:

Let's assume that a base model F-150 Lightning would depreciate at $300/month. Said newer vehicle would also cost perhaps $100/mo more to insure.

Current costs: $200/mo gas (1000 miles, 15 mpg, $3/gal) + $150/mo depreciation = $350/mo (+ baseline insurance costs).

Base trim Lightning costs: $300/mo depreciation + $100/mo extra insurance cost + $40 in energy costs = $440
At this point we're getting pretty close on cost, and very handwavey in my estimates of depreciation for each vehicle and extra insurance cost... Show me that grey vinyl interior and the spec sheet on Monday, Ford!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Show me that grey vinyl interior and the spec sheet on Monday, Ford!

We’re going to have a retail one, and we’re going to have a Lightning that’s focused on commercial customers. It will be white, it’ll be very basic specs, and it’s going to be for work customers.
White is ok.

3 across kids would be totally fine. Again this would give up minivan-replacement status with the true 7 seater Land Cruiser.

Instead it would offer 426 hp/775 lb-ft of electric fun and cleanliness, noting the Land Cruiser was 275 hp new by SAE net hp... at sea level, and it has a rather widely spaced 5 speed auto and (my fault) taller than stock tires both in winter and especially in summer. It'd also remain competent as a high clearance 4x4 on Nokians to get me to work during storms. The current 18" Nokians would be of an appropriate size.

Basic cruise control wouldn't be any different than what I currently have. I do hope this trim will have seat heaters, though... Monday shall tell all re vinyl/cloth/how exactly stripped it will be.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Ready to head up tomorrow morning and then spend the first stretch of nights at our mountain house.

Still have some work to do tomorrow when we arrive (putting up blackout cellular shades in particular), and more work yet over the week with CO/smoke detectors and contractors.

(Packing job here by wife and mother in law--thus both rear seats being up in the 3rd row whereas without her one would be down for extra room. I'm at work until 10.)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a utilitarian ev f150.....cloth seats....manual windows....no bluetooth/nav....manual 6 speed......:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

EVSE installed and up and running.

Huge pile of recycling to deal with tomorrow.

"40 Mbps" level longe range WiFi service is a bit underwhelming thus far.

CenturyLink finally showed up as available so I jumped on it. Anywhere near 60 Mbps for $49 would be far better than this monstrosity.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Commercial oriented trim level white-only F-150 Lightning Pro revealed!

That interior looks great, IMO. Vinyl looks fine, 12" screen with physical media and HVAC controls is probably better.

But it's going through Ford Fleet so at this point looks to be inaccessible to individual buyers. Buzzkill, yo

edit: I read it wrong or they updated their info. From Ford PR guy the Pro will be retail as well

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

$100. Refundable, probably will change my mind a dozen times over next half year, etc. etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Best look yet at the vinyl on the Pro trim. Doesn't look half bad, not like the shiny grey stuff in XL trim Fords of yore (and even now like in the nominally 2022 box truck from a few weekends ago).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Huge pile of recycling to deal with tomorrow.
All that recycling fit in the minivan, 2nd row folded, 3rd row stowed:

$23 dump fee, had to buy a $3 hi viz vest to wear there while unloading.

Built this nice king bed frame today.

Got 9 smoke/CO detectors installed. Original ones were all yellowed and had 2014 expiration dates inside their covers, whoops. One of them was up quite high.

That same room has 3 rows of 3 overhead floods. All 3 in the middle row are out and probably are going to stay out since they're on a part of the ceiling that's probably 14' tall. Ain't nobody got time for that, although my Little Giant in fully extended stepladder mode would probably do it.

Still left to do:

- hang canvas prints everywhere (noting the subset of them in the photo above were still in their plastic wrappers thus the wrinkly appearance)
- random coat hanger hooks and the like to mount to studs
- move some furniture between floors, quite possibly via exiting the walkout basement and headed around the house up the grade to the front door rather than going up the stairs
- hunt down painter dude for an interior painting quote
- touch up one segment of prior-dog-damaged wall and then hide it with abovementioned moved sofa
- get leaking-into-wall shower by sauna fixed up enough for Vacasa clean-and-photo purposes
- proper Nest install once they come in, which likely will be delayed until June 5-6 weekend, as the new cheap Nest model that I had procured turned out to be incompatible with two wire thermostats
- set up CenturyLink DSL on Thursday before we leave, and set up a reminder to cancel the quite painfully slow long range WiFi service that's in place now (I'm tethering to my phone now instead of using it, if that says anything)

Whew.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

View while Pelotoning this morning. Altitude is no joke.

Some of the canvas prints now hung properly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TIL that the CO tax credit on the Lightning will be $3.5k through the end of 2022. (Cars are $2.5k. Light duty trucks up to 10k GVWR are higher.)

:notbadobama:

edit: if GVWR > 8500, that is. It'll be close given 2k payload and what the thing should weigh.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
totally normal amount of sheer junk left behind by prior wood- and old stereo-gear-packrat prior owners

Few more items added to garage pile yet.

Going to hire a dude to haul this away with his pickup + trailer as U-Haul in Granby has no trucks available through next week, I may well have gotten it stuck driving it around the house to the basement entrance anyway, and time == money.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Needz moar outletz

from their attempted-zoning-skirting kitchen planned for that room

Now it has that king bed (that we put in), an L-shaped sofa, and a projector setup that we verified actually functions! Projector is some 480p crap (but nicely mounted to the ceiling at least) and the receiver and DVD player of that same era, but there is a center channel and side speakers built into the wall, a decent looking projector screen permanently mounted on or in the wall, and 6 additional functioning speakers + a sub.

I expected all of that crap to be non-functional but go figure. As my kids get older and can actually watch movies instead of being shunted off to bed an hour after dinner (but before we redo that area into a master suite) I may throw in a 4K Blu-Ray player, an appropriate 4K/HDCP-compliant receiver, and a 4K projector. As the wiring is there it should be pretty straightforward, assuming the in-wall HDMI (composite?!) cabling is up to snuff… hmm

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

from their attempted-zoning-skirting kitchen planned for that room

Now it has that king bed (that we put in), an L-shaped sofa, and a projector setup that we verified actually functions! Projector is some 480p crap (but nicely mounted to the ceiling at least) and the receiver and DVD player of that same era, but there is a center channel and side speakers built into the wall, a decent looking projector screen permanently mounted on or in the wall, and 6 additional functioning speakers + a sub.

I expected all of that crap to be non-functional but go figure. As my kids get older and can actually watch movies instead of being shunted off to bed an hour after dinner (but before we redo that area into a master suite) I may throw in a 4K Blu-Ray player, an appropriate 4K/HDCP-compliant receiver, and a 4K projector. As the wiring is there it should be pretty straightforward, assuming the in-wall HDMI (composite?!) cabling is up to snuff… hmm
people still use blu-ray?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
people still use blu-ray?
Good point re streaming…

except that the internet service here is absolute crap. See a few posts back. Maybe when Starlink hits and I can actually get 200 Mbps+.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Going to hire a dude to haul this away with his pickup + trailer as U-Haul in Granby has no trucks available through next week, I may well have gotten it stuck driving it around the house to the basement entrance anyway, and time == money.
Seems like he'll take his 26' box truck instead of the pickup + 20' trailer to do the job. He estimates $400-450 including the dump fee, and that's totally reasonable in my book as the alternative would be my time x solid half day, ~$100 in rental, $60 in gas, $100 in dump fee.

Sold (and this way if he gets his box truck stuck it's not my headache!).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seems like he'll take his 26' box truck instead of the pickup + 20' trailer to do the job. He estimates $400-450 including the dump fee, and that's totally reasonable in my book as the alternative would be my time x solid half day, ~$100 in rental, $60 in gas, $100 in dump fee.

Sold (and this way if he gets his box truck stuck it's not my headache!).

He will probably sell the scrap lumber for $400. Guessing little of that will actually make it to the dump, well hopefully.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And if he does I will not begrudge him one cent of that!
When I lived in Cleveland anything placed on the curb that had any perceived value would disappear in hours. I kind of appreciated being able to get rid of potentially useful stuff without having it go to the dump or dealing with people.

Someone actually took an old mattress I threw away before the garbage truck arrived, that was pretty creepy. By mass it was probably 40% dried solids form bodily fluids.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The range estimate shown for 80% SOC and the claim of calculation of range with 1k in the bed are news for sure. If Ford over-delivers that'd be fantastic. edit: turns out he was wrong. See TFLtruck video below.

His estimate of most ending up $50-55k is quite wrong. (An XLT with the big battery will be $63k to start, before any options, for instance.)

Also re price bringing up that Tesla isn't tax credit eligible whereas Ford (and Rivian and Workhorse if they ever materialize) is tax credit eligible is kind of a big deal.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yes, my interest is piqued again, as Wifey isn’t interested in the Bro-Sprinter for now...but my Chevy is still chugging along fine, and that money is kicking ass right now.
TCO for the $40k-before-credits F-150 Lightning Pro model will be super low. (Not so much for an XLT, Lariat, or Platinum!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Search appears to be borked, but I posted earlier about how a person down the street tows a Taxa Mantis. He first had a VW Atlas, then that disappeared and a Land Rover LR4 took its place.

As of this week the LR4 appears to have been given the boot, a Suburban High Country with temp tags in the same spot. (Meanwhile they also have a New Beetle that has stayed constant through all this.)

So that means the 6.2 liter gas V8 standard, 3.0 liter turbodiesel optional, 28 gallon tank and 14/19 mpg on the gasser. Low range on the 4x4 assuming he picked it. 10 speed auto. Magnetic ride control standard and air suspension optional.

7,700 GVWR with 1,612 lb payload/6,016 lb curb weight (math, GM?), 14,500 GCWR with Max Trailering package (500 less sans it). 14,500 - 7,700 == 6,800.

It should tow better than the Land Rover despite a similar nominal towing capacity since it's so long and heavy. Still largely a lateral move on paper. Maybe the Land Rover was unreliable?!
Said Suburban was hooked up to a travel trailer today. They must also have a friend or relative with their Mercedes GLE and its own travel trailer as I've seen that in front of the same house before, including today.

Anyway, both the Suburban and the GLE were sagged way down low into their rear travel. I'm guessing they're both significantly above their payload capacity (and thus likely rear axle weight rating).

meh

edit: old context on the GLE and its payload re their chosen trailer and its tongue weight, with the above observations apparently proving me right

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The range estimate shown for 80% SOC and the claim of calculation of range with 1k in the bed are news for sure. If Ford over-delivers that'd be fantastic.
TFLtruck did a video in response to this claim.

They asked Ford… and Ford said: "As per at [the] reveal, we are confirming that we have a targeted EPA estimate of 300 miles for the extended range derivative. No further detail[sic] to add at this point."

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Updated tech specs sheet. Some amusing typos given that Ford is a beast of a company and it's presumably not some intern making these: "whishbone", "compatability".

Things I have gathered from it:

1) No 300 mile Pro for retail customers.

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 9.51.45 PM.png

Confirming this tweet linked below, no retail availability of the Pro base trim in extended range. Luckily for me, I wasn't hoping for that configuration anyway.

2) No Intelligent Access on the Pro even though there is a push button start. So need the button on the fob to enter but then the fob goes back in one's pocket? A petty omission.

3) The 360 degree camera will be an option on the Pro trim! And a good thing it shall be given its bulk.

4) 2 way adjustable vinyl buckets with no heat. Sacrifices must be made for that $39,974 price. But at least the shifter will fold down even though the interior work space isn't included? Again confusing here.

5) Optional 9.6kW Pro Power Onboard doesn't seem tied to battery pack size, which is nice.

6) No archetypal Ford B-pillar keypad on the Pro!

7) Tow Technology Package and Max Trailer Tow Package both confirmed as options for the Pro trim.

What I'm thinking at this point for a fall 2021 order/spring 2022 delivery assuming my local dealer doesn't play games with markups:

- Pro trim
- standard battery
- 80A EVSE for the house backup, and mount it on the outside of my garage, assuming this will live on the driveway unless snow or hail is forecast
- 360 degree camera
- unless super reasonably priced (or necessary for the house backup power for the former) skip the 9.6 kW enhanced Pro Power Onboard and the two towing packages alike

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

The range estimate shown for 80% SOC and the claim of calculation of range with 1k in the bed are news for sure. If Ford over-delivers that'd be fantastic.

His estimate of most ending up $50-55k is quite wrong. (An XLT with the big battery will be $63k to start, before any options, for instance.)

Also re price bringing up that Tesla isn't tax credit eligible whereas Ford (and Rivian and Workhorse if they ever materialize) is tax credit eligible is kind of a big deal.
cool that you can power your house with it in case
power is out at your house...

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool that you can power your house with it in case
power is out at your house...
Yeah, I'm definitely opting for that feature (by getting the 80A EVSE and house management panel). It's confirmed to work with the small battery version even though that version doesn't get any extra charging speed over a 48A EVSE because it's limited by its single on-board charger.

See bottom left text:

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

update of this scene with the front trunk in a commercial would be funny as shit....