Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, seems like they are protected as migratory birds. Also seems like the prior owner would just blast their shit with a power washer in defiance of The Man and nature.

: shrugs:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An update on my vaccine-hesitant parents. I told them I'd consider a positive antibody test equivalent to having been vaccinated. With that as background, my mother's email from this morning, excerpted:

Toshi's mom said:
. . . well, Toshi,
Dad's antibody test just came back negative. Such a bummer: he was sure to have contracted and recovered from it. We were SO so looking forward to a positive result.

I will take the antibody test sometime this coming week. If that comes back negative, I wonder if it would be worth taking (a small dose of?) monoclonal antibody therapy??? Supposed to be super-expensive and not really for un-infected healthy people ;-(

Anyway, I hope our too-healthy-to-qualify status somehow changes soon. I do miss seeing you all in person :-)
love
-母
and my reply

Toshi said:
Hi mom

Glad to hear you got/are getting those tests, even if they do not show antibodies.

Monoclonal antibodies are indeed expensive and only for sick people. Plus, being monoclonal, they are ineffective against some variants. They would only persist in the bloodstream for a short while.

Instead you should get a treatment that primes your body to recognize spike proteins and generates your own polyclonal antibody response along with memory T cells waiting to spring into action later. That treatment is called vaccination

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
An update on my vaccine-hesitant parents. I told them I'd consider a positive antibody test equivalent to having been vaccinated. With that as background, my mother's email from this morning, excerpted:

and my reply
That's just your magnets talking

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

making the most of my Land Cruiser’s off road abilities by parking in a slightly off camber spot in the work garage

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Recall that I was planning on doing a financial shell game through taking out a HELOC on my Denver place, paying down the Tabernash mortgage + "second mortgage"-as-HELOC to <80% LTV so as to be able to refinance to one loan, and also paying for some Tabernash house actual work.

Well, that plan is moving forward. Approved for the Denver HELOC at prime - 1.01% rate, so 2.24% as of now. This means I can move forward with the deck!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Recall that I was planning on doing a financial shell game through taking out a HELOC on my Denver place, paying down the Tabernash mortgage + "second mortgage"-as-HELOC to <80% LTV so as to be able to refinance to one loan, and also paying for some Tabernash house actual work.

Well, that plan is moving forward. Approved for the Denver HELOC at prime - 1.01% rate, so 2.24% as of now. This means I can move forward with the deck!
rates will be going up, there is no way they cannot.
why anyone would take a variable rate when lending is at such lows is beyond me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
rates will be going up, there is no way they cannot.
why anyone would take a variable rate when lending is at such lows is beyond me.
Because almost all HELOCs appear to be variable, and this had no fees (as opposed to a cash out refi).

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We are getting rid of two sections of the lawn, yes... we will still have some grass, though. The water we save on the sections we're eliminating will be spread on the garden, however... which I hope to expand next year.
We have similar plans for the post mortgage yard. Xeriscape out front, and a lot less grass and a lot more vegetables in the back. Or maybe vice versa just so we don't have to worry about the chickens getting into the veg.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Grass is stupid. It will grow where I do not want it but the lawn will only survive with all kinds of help fighting weeds, fertilizer, over seeding, watering etc. I have taken a more relaxed stance to my lawn and just accepted it's impossible to keep.

Grass is stupid. It will grow where I do not want it but the lawn will only survive with all kinds of help fighting weeds, fertilizer, over seeding, watering etc. I have taken a more relaxed stance to my lawn and just accepted it's impossible to keep.
One does not need to fight weeds, seed, or fertilize. If one mows, grass dominates. If you're selective when/where to mow, you'll also get wildflowers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
85 octane at my local station was $3.249/gallon today. Got 14.0 mpg last tank in the Land Cruiser after correcting for the 6% greater diameter tires.

The economics of that electric F-150 are looking better and better!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Updating math for 1,000 miles, 14 mpg, $3.249/gal

Let's assume that a base model F-150 Lightning would depreciate at $300/month. Said newer vehicle would also cost perhaps $100/mo more to insure.

Current costs: $232/mo gas + $150/mo depreciation = $382/mo (+ baseline insurance costs).

Base trim Lightning costs: $300/mo depreciation + $100/mo extra insurance cost + $40 in energy costs = $440
Getting awfully close assuming my depreciation and extra insurance cost estimates are in the right ballpark. Breakeven at 14 mpg would be at $4.06/gallon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Note y axis. Negative from March through now: solar array generating well more electricity than we use, even with ample (very high SEER) AC use.

This is basically a sign from the gods that I should get another electric vehicle, ideally one that uses many kWh.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
One does not need to fight weeds, seed, or fertilize. If one mows, grass dominates. If you're selective when/where to mow, you'll also get wildflowers.
I am not expert but not my experience. Especially clover and dandelions will take over if not kept in check. Maybe I am not selective enough but I am relying on a robot mover to do the job.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Note y axis. Negative from March through now: solar array generating well more electricity than we use, even with ample (very high SEER) AC use.

This is basically a sign from the gods that I should get another electric vehicle, ideally one that uses many kWh.
Especially one that could send back power to the house when the sun goes down.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Clover and dandelions are just fine in a lawn. Clover, in particular, adds needed nitrogen to the soil.
I think you forget where we started. I just talked about what i required if you want to maintain a lawn. Where a lawn is defined an area of regularly mowed grass. I think what you talk about is more a wild meadow type lawn where many other plants besides grass are a must of course.

I think you forget where we started. I just talked about what i required if you want to maintain a lawn. Where a lawn is defined an area of regularly mowed grass. I think what you talk about is more a wild meadow type lawn where many other plants besides grass are a must of course.
I have forgotten nothing. A lawn as grass by itself is an environmentally destructive and wasteful abortion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Especially one that could send back power to the house when the sun goes down.
We're grid tied so the meter runs backwards, as it were.

What'll be super cool if I get that electric F-150 as threatened is Ford's Intelligent Power. (Intelligent Backup Power is the vehicle-to-home-as-generator functionality. This is distinct from it.)

Intelligent Power would be true vehicle to grid. The vehicle would help the grid buffer demand, actively trading power back and forth. It would also be set up to take advantage of time of use pricing arbitrage.

That kind of system + large fleet of installed BEVs with 100+ kWh packs would be amazing, potentially keeping those NG and coal powered peaker plants offline.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Put down 50% just now on the deck resurface + water damaged adjacent wall + potential shoring up if necessary for hot tub on deck project.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Clover and dandelions are just fine in a lawn. Clover, in particular, adds needed nitrogen to the soil.
My "lawn" :D

20210617_095623_resized.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Trim and option pricing for F-150 Lightning revealed, at least as teased in an email survey. It may well change later on before release.

Pro at $39,974 as per the intro. All pricing pre-credits.

XLT at $52,974 again as per the intro.

XLT+ with adaptive cruise, 9.6 kW Pro Power Onboard, 20" wheels for $56,774.

Lariat for $67,474 with standard range battery. Adds 15.5" screen, leather heated and ventilated seats.

Lariat+ for $79,474 but includes extended range battery. Adds BlueCruise, phone as key, towing technology package, panoramic moonroof.

Platinum for $89,874 with 22"s, fancy leather, B&O stereo, Max Trailer Tow Package standard.
Interestingly the option pricing varies a bit dependent on starting trim:

So for me with the Pro standard range in mind my options are:

Tow Technology Package for $1,948 to get the 360 degree camera and all the towing related stuffs. Will be hard pressed not to do this one for the camera, but at this price I'd opt for just the camera if they had it as a standalone.

Max Trailer Tow Package for $865. This seems like a no-brainer to do at this price, plus better cooling for the battery and motors is good in any situation.

9.6 kW upgrade for Pro Power Onboard from the stock 2.4 kW for $1,070. This doesn't seem worth it given that 2.4 kW via 120V outlets is probably just fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got this quote from Critter Control for remediation of the swallow issue. Its pricetag seems rather insane.

Getting some more quotes: emailed a bunch and this company is going to come out for another formal in-person quote (also at my expense, which is fine).

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Were the 1000 included birds not listed on the closing items?
Technically I probably have a small claims court case since there were explicit disclosure statements, and he clearly knew of it.

But practically it's not worth it what with finding/serving/showing up in Grand County/trying to collect. I sure hope the other quote is under $10k, though. $18k is rich.