Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1999 100 series with 214k miles but looking fairly clean. $16k sell price.

So that's the absolute floor for my 100. $25-30k seems more in line with the other 100s that BaT has sold. Not that I have anything to replace it with or am going to do anything in the near term.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Commencal has their Supreme DH available for pre-order. Any reasons why I shouldn't put in a pre-order in anticipation of actual Trestle time next season? Availability of bikes in general is so slim...

Only the mullet in this color has availability. I'd get a medium, as with 455 mm reach on a DH bike that should be plenty long already.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Commencal has their Supreme DH available for pre-order. Any reasons why I shouldn't put in a pre-order in anticipation of actual Trestle time next season? Availability of bikes in general is so slim...

Only the mullet in this color has availability. I'd get a medium, as with 455 mm reach on a DH bike that should be plenty long already.
That's what S and I are on now, she has a medium if you want to throw a leg over it. Still in the garage for now until I clean them up, service and put away for the winter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ordered it. It'll be a good excuse to log Trestle days next season just to justify its existence :D

They say Jan 2022 for it. Any time before May or so would be just fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, $100k wouldn't surprise me. Edit: $111,111 already as of 9/28!

I subscribe to their Twitter feed. Still's the case that most of these cars that people bet on to be collectibles end up perhaps holding their original MSRP... over 20 years, so losing lots of money effectively.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Finally going to do that RVing vacation:

Booked a spot with electrical but not water/sewer hookup at Golden Gate Canyon State Park and an Apex Nano 208BHS travel trailer rental for March 28-31, 2022.

208BHS.jpg

Hitch Weight: 516 lb.
GVWR: 6,000 lb.
UVW 3,948 lb.
CCC 2,052 lb

Going to use a sway control hitch on my 6,500 lb nominal tow/1,500 payload Land Cruiser, plus it's a short drive. I have my trailer brake controller all set up.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The trailer will still be winterized so we'll have to bring our own separate water. Any other considerations, pro camping people? This date range is because it's Denver Public Schools spring break. May well be snow still on the ground at 9,000'!

@6thElement @Full Trucker

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Early/late in the year we normally resort to jerry cans for water. After camping this past weekend I half winterized our water system - emptied the tank and water heater. To fully winterize I need to flush the lines with RV antifreeze.

If you want something simple pick up a couple of these:

We use one for our grey water where it drains outside the camper. But I've still got hard sided water containers from long before we picked up the truck camper.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tried to pre-order a 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 with the new belt drive/internally geared hub setup, but to no avail. Dealer contacted the rep and couldn't pre-order anything.

So instead I bought something undeniably ugly but functional. Half the price, too.

RipCurrentS-Alum-RtSide.jpg

That's a Juiced Bicycles RipCurrent S.

Juiced is one of the few Chinese e-bike-hawking outfits that uses torque sensors, as opposed to the cadence-sensor only norm. 28 mph class 3, both pedal assist and with a thumb throttle. Cheap-ass componentry (7-speed Shimano cassette, probably square taper cranks). Funky ergonomics by the look of things but that can be fixed if troublesome.

But again it was comparatively cheap. $2,600, $100 off for being in medicine, + tax, free shipping. And no "can't pre-order via the local dealer" garbage. This will be exclusively a commuting machine.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Vacasa dude to me:

Yes I can make those 2 things happen, I’ll create a ticket now to get it on the maintenance guys radar. Let me know as the delivery date firms up and we’ll adjust accordingly.
So what ended up happening was that said Vacasa dude was up in Grand Lake at another property on the day the moving company tried to deliver the recliners. They gave him (and me) a 10 minutes heads up call. He clearly couldn't make it down in time.

Hmph. Not the concierge service I dreamed of.

I ended up rescheduling that delivery for Oct 11, and scheduling the first delivery attempt for the patio furniture on that same date. That's a Monday and I'm on outpatient service so have some flexibility. Therefore I'm going to push that flexibility to the limit on that day and do what work I can't get done before that morning done from the mountains.

Yep: hauling the tower + 4 monitor setup up there and seeing how it fares on 60 Mbps DSL. Worst case is that it is unusable and I end up finishing my "day's" work that evening from Denver at home. Best case is that it's actually decent and I both manage furniture delivery and get my normal work done all in one fell swoop.

E7anXEDXEAA9aHP.jpeg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I scratch my head at the need to have such large tires on a commuter. I
Tried to pre-order a 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 with the new belt drive/internally geared hub setup, but to no avail. Dealer contacted the rep and couldn't pre-order anything.

So instead I bought something undeniably ugly but functional. Half the price, too.

That's a Juiced Bicycles RipCurrent S.

Juiced is one of the few Chinese e-bike-hawking outfits that uses torque sensors, as opposed to the cadence-sensor only norm. 28 mph class 3, both pedal assist and with a thumb throttle. Cheap-ass componentry (7-speed Shimano cassette, probably square taper cranks). Funky ergonomics by the look of things but that can be fixed if troublesome.

But again it was comparatively cheap. $2,600, $100 off for being in medicine, + tax, free shipping. And no "can't pre-order via the local dealer" garbage. This will be exclusively a commuting machine.

Also

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I scratch my head at the need to have such large tires on a commuter.
Poor man's suspension. And weight/rolling resistance are irrelevant when there's a beefy electric push behind one's back. More is getting concreted-over at the moment, but my commute route along the Sand Creek Greenway also has some unpaved sections.

750W nominal steady state as to be legal, 1,300W peak. It should propel me at its 28 mph assist limit just fine, with me titrating my efforts to what I want to put out on that day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Poor man's suspension. And weight/rolling resistance are irrelevant when there's a beefy electric push behind one's back. More is getting concreted-over at the moment, but my commute route along the Sand Creek Greenway also has some unpaved sections.

750W nominal steady state as to be legal, 1,300W peak. It should propel me at its 28 mph assist limit just fine, with me titrating my efforts to what I want to put out on that day.
I just find a 2.4" or so tire to be more than sufficient for even the shittiest of pavement and probably more durable.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

There is a comfort factor no doubt, but I have to wonder if people see it as “more stable/solid”. See so many of these kinds of things zipping around w/o pedaling.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just find a 2.4" or so tire to be more than sufficient for even the shittiest of pavement and probably more durable.
I don't disagree. In this company's lineup my choices were 4" or 47 mm. I'd rather have 4", as she said

There is a comfort factor no doubt, but I have to wonder if people see it as “more stable/solid”. See so many of these kinds of things zipping around w/o pedaling.
True, there definitely will be a ton of gyroscopic stability with a super heavy wheel/tire combination, and that's likely reassuring.

I'll pedal along for sure. I'll just pedal at a 14 mph effort while going along at 28 mph.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I don't disagree. In this company's lineup my choices were 4" or 47 mm. I'd rather have 4", as she said

True, there definitely will be a ton of gyroscopic stability with a super heavy wheel/tire combination, and that's likely reassuring.

I'll pedal along for sure. I'll just pedal at a 14 mph effort while going along at 28 mph.
Curious, these bikes that dont require pedaling… let’s call them mopeds :) … do they have a twist throttle, thumb throttle, or what… wondering what it looks like. Haven’t been able to tell in the wild.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Curious, these bikes that dont require pedaling… let’s call them mopeds :) … do they have a twist throttle, thumb throttle, or what… wondering what it looks like. Haven’t been able to tell in the wild.
The bike looking ones have a thumb throttle. The moped looking ones go right to a twist throttle, I believe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rode Mule Deer. First time in a while. More fun than I remember, and the e-bike makes the long boring sections quick work.

Trees were nice to peep at

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@6thElement I rechecked my brake job invoice after your skepticism re calipers. It indeed included remanufactured Raybestos calipers at both front corners + pads (and clearly fluid given the calipers). $573 including tax.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Availability of bikes in general is so slim...
Cars seem to be of similar low availability, especially for the electric ones that I like.

On that note, ordering for the F-150 Lightning is purportedly opening up on October 26.

Lightning2.png

My local dealer that I designated as my dealer of choice when making the reservation on ford.com was Schomp Ford. They never got back to me whether they're planning on applying additional dealer markup over MSRP for Lightning sales. As there are numerous dealers that have pledged to stick to MSRP (such as Ken Garff in Greeley amongst other states/locations) or even under ($1k under invoice at Granger in Iowa, not worth it for the travel) I am switching my dealer choice in the system to Ken Garff.

October 26 will thus be the day of truth with regard to final pricing for the trims + the option packages—what was posted before was just from a survey and thus wasn't final—and possibly will also have more definitive news from Ford regarding production numbers. Will I even be allowed to order on that day, having been late to the reservation game since I'd waited out the Pro trim's introduction?

Anyway, what I'm saying is that on October 27 there's a non-negligible chance that I'll have canceled my $100 Lightning reservation, for what little that's worth. I'll hold off on making a Rivian reservation until they announce pricing on the 250 mile small-pack version.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Attn @Nick

That's nice.
Watch the auction. I bet it sells for more than $90k.
Yeah, $100k wouldn't surprise me. Edit: $111,111 already as of 9/28!

I subscribe to their Twitter feed. Still's the case that most of these cars that people bet on to be collectibles end up perhaps holding their original MSRP... over 20 years, so losing lots of money effectively.
Finished at $143k.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Context for that $143k:

$73k base price in 1997. They probably added at least $5k in options so let's call it $78k.

(review is of a 2S, not a 4S)

$78k in 1997 is inflation-adjusted $133k today. So not bad but not an investment, either, per se.
Wonder how much an “investment” of 73k in 1997 would yield today.