Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

That is pointless for music, could be amusing for movies however I hope you have a large dedicated space for such an environment or your living room will sound like someone in a honda civic with a giant subwoofer making just as much noise rattling body panels and trim. I have to high pass my sub or at some inaudible frequencies I just hear the dishes rattling in the kitchen. In the long run you may be happier with something more focused on fidelity than power.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is for the basement setup. Fairly open ~750 sq ft main room x 8-9’ ceilings (9’ with dropped sections for ducts under the floor above) so some volume to fill.

And I’m aiming for punch, plus the reviews are strong. Maybe even keep it in the THX Ultra calibration.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That is pointless for music, could be amusing for movies however I hope you have a large dedicated space for such an environment or your living room will sound like someone in a honda civic with a giant subwoofer making just as much noise rattling body panels and trim. I have to high pass my sub or at some inaudible frequencies I just hear the dishes rattling in the kitchen. In the long run you may be happier with something more focused on fidelity than power.
Maybe he (or someone else) plans on sitting on it? :busted:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
praise be to the real estate gods (this my Denver house)

E516A56A-0C07-4ADF-BD75-2584F35C3DF6.jpeg
A9D04A18-65BA-4C34-976B-34BA8B703987.jpeg

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
praise be to the real estate gods (this my Denver house)

View attachment 167328View attachment 167329
Housing market in Copenhagen has been crazy. We bought at 1.65 and the with the current sales around here house is now above 3 million. I could basically retired with the equity we have made and everything you make on the house is tax free but does not seem like the increase will stop.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@6thElement

would make an easy lateral move from the Crosstrek, assuming they have a factory hitch option

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@6thElement

would make an easy lateral move from the Crosstrek, assuming they have a factory hitch option
Yeah, saw it the other day and the 2" hitch was my first question.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
that’s what’s keeping me from an Audi e-tron GT, honestly

View attachment 167378

that’s a gorgeous design. Too bad the price and practicality!
Styling looks fairly pedestrian to my eyes. The way these guys (and porsche) do pricing and options is infuriating. You want how much extra on top of the $120k for things that are included on a 30k golf?!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Styling looks fairly pedestrian to my eyes. The way these guys (and porsche) do pricing and options is infuriating. You want how much extra on top of the $120k for things that are included on a 30k golf?!
In the age of the EV and where good computer interface drives such a big part of the car what they offer becomes more and more irrelevant. Look at the ID4 which is then made into a Etron Q4 vs the new Hundai Ioniq / Kia Ev6 which I find much more interesting at a better buy. My friend has the Ev6 on order and still had some badge qualms but I think that will quickly go away.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's never stopped you before.
Things that I must have:

- four driven wheels
- room for all 3 kids if not an extra person or two
- 2” hitch

I may compromise on anything else to fit whims but these are necessary.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Things that I must have:

- four driven wheels
- room for all 3 kids if not an extra person or two
- 2” hitch

I may compromise on anything else to fit whims but these are necessary.
the back seat of that thing is kind of an afterthought fwiw.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Contractor says the deck surfaces are all done (as is the rebuilding of the deck with new joists and shoring up the side for a future hot tub). Drywall is done, and painter will get to it in the next few weeks.

Just waiting on the replacement railings to come in and it'll finally be ready for its Vacasa glamour-shot day... in hopefully early December.

Long process is long, but assuming the story's on the up and up (and the door logs do show that people were in and out of the house consistently over the past few weeks in keeping with it) then the decks indeed got rebuilt before the snow really set in up in the mountains.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I really like Porsche, but they are the king of the options list. Maybe Ferrari up there too?

The best is when they charge extra to DELETE stuff from your car. LOL

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think the time has come to look for a new practice.

Background:

I've been at my current employer since 2014. In the first few years we had a big problem with unequal amounts of work being done by (equally paid) section members. One person was particularly bad, and she eventually was encouraged strongly enough to retire that she did so.

We fixed this per my suggestion of having cases (on services with more than one attending--if just you then that's that) assigned on the worklist to each attending in succession. I'd still end up reading more than most people because I'd help out those behind at the end of the day, but it felt more fair and was an acceptable situation.

Current situation:

Since then we've added multiple new hospitals and freestanding EDs. Our staffing has not gone up in proportion to this, so we're busier at baseline, even if everything were still distributed evenly. During COVID we also added in 5-10 PM coverage, again without extra compensation for this extra burden.

But it isn't distributed evenly. We end up bending over backwards to help staff at one of the outlying hospitals, in particular, often reading their cases until 5:30 PM or 6 when they've fled the coop before 5 PM. This isn't fair, and is infuriating. We also added new positions for a second overnight radiologist (always had a first, doing primarily emergency work). There's no workload expectation for them, so they're slacking... and again getting paid the same as us, for much less work performed than what we're doing in the daytime.

Meanwhile we're the only ones with a defined expectation, that we read all cases through a certain timestamp dependent on if it's a day or a 5-10 PM shift. We are the only adults in the building, whereas the outlying hospitals and overnight services work as much as they feel like and then let everything slide to us daytime people.

Radiology is a hot job market now, so there's no excuse for this. Our chairman and section chief both seem entirely ineffectual at getting these problems resolved, and from their perspective yes, us daytime people have been shouldering the extra burden.

But it's an extra burden and this situation isn't getting better. If I'm going to work at this increased pace then I want something for it. So I'll poke my nose around. What I'd like:

- 100% remote daytime work
- cases all within my subspecialty
- productivity-based compensation, such that I make at least as much as I do now from day 1
- not horrible call schedule for weekend coverage, ideally none at all if I can swing that