Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not sure about that whole integrated goggle horseshit.
Yeah, I never really had issues worth complaining about with the normal setup. But for my kids it actually makes sense, as half the time it seems like the goggles are riding somewhere they shouldn't be relative to their helmets.

And for me it makes sense in that the Vantage didn't fit my skull but this one does, with a similar quality of construction.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
03C8A771-A084-4127-9E98-4ED1DCBE90A1.jpeg

our Tabernash house is stupid in many ways. But not as stupid as this over in Summit

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yea, those can't be snug to your face. Are they??
Yeah, that may well turn out to be their downfall. Was snowing and very windy up on Pano (big surprise) and the bottom inside edge and eventually the whole inside iced over, probably due to the insufficient sealage.

I also thought the audio setup wasn't worth it: makes the ear flaps more bulky and uncomfortable and sound quality was nothing to write home about.

So I may well end up returning all of it, Giro included, and sticking with my comfy non-MIPS helmet, dealing with the embarrassment of having matching gear to Watz

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah, that may well turn out to be their downfall. Was snowing and very windy up on Pano (big surprise) and the bottom inside edge and eventually the whole inside iced over, probably due to the insufficient sealage.

I also thought the audio setup wasn't worth it: makes the ear flaps more bulky and uncomfortable and sound quality was nothing to write home about.

So I may well end up returning all of it, Giro included, and sticking with my comfy non-MIPS helmet, dealing with the embarrassment of having matching gear to Watz
Wait - you have a gargantuan Leedom currently? :D

...audio...

jesus.fuck

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyway, today was quite good save for the visibility issues (and I wasn't the only one complaining--just was wetness in the air)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
...audio...

jesus.fuck
Personal audio, not a bluetooth speaker directed outwards to annoy others. Tiny drivers that go in the ear flaps.

I listened to one music track with it (Bach cello suites because why not) and then used it for the on the lift Carv advice. The Carv is being returned, too--big surprise. Didn't really find its advice to be actionable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, for the record, @kidwoo, I do not* own a Tesla

* I did for about 18 mo. Sold it to free up cash flow for the mountain house. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The ID.Buzz is still definitely in the running as vehicle 2 in the garage besides that Merc. Its size seems perfect. I just hope they don't screw the pooch with stupid capacitive controls and the like a la the ID.4. Other contenders for EV #2 in the future garage are the EX90, Ioniq 7/EV 9... and I have an Aptera refundable reservation once again since I'm forever an optimist. An Aptera would live on the street 24/7 soaking up photons via its PV array.

(Upon discussion with my wife she doesn't want to get rid of the PacHy just yet, and I don't want to get rid of the Land Cruiser because big and AWD alike. So we may well have 3 cars around from May or whenever the EQB hits until ski season to see how the small EQB does with all our junk. Might be getting a roof box a la @stoney )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So as was discussed in the industry gripes thread my commuter e-bike, a Juiced Bicycles RipCurrent S, has stupid 26 x 4.0" tires. Per Cateye's calculator that's a 239 cm circumference.

Said tires kind of suck. No options and even with a Tannus Armor insert wedged in there I managed to get a flat today, which resulted in a very lumpy and slow ride home on the insert and tire since I was a solid 3 mi from home by the point when it went completely flat.

I am going to have the wheels rebuilt as 29ers in response to this, so that I can run proper Schwalbe tires for commuting. Their GT 365 model in 28 x 2.15" looks to be the best option, with a circumference that should be around 233-234 cm. They claim it's a "4 season" tire, it's rated up to 128 kg load, and it's even E-50 rated.

Anyway, on my acoustic commuter with 29"/28"/700c x 47 mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires I run DT XR 331 rims: welded, 20 mm inner diameter. I'd like to go a bit wider for this 2.15" tire and heavier bike, so an XR 391, XM 421, or EX 471 at 25 mm inner would work. Probably will go for the EX 471 for some extra beef assuming no spoke count issues or other stupidity.

Would have been a lot cheaper to have bought a CrossCurrent X instead in the first place instead of going this route with the rebuild. Whoops. Live and learn, and this way I'll have stupid wide fenders to cover those tires at least, and a very nice wheelset!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thus I ended up with this for her:

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 4.37.55 PM.png

Yellow bindings to be like my yellow Look Pivot 14s.
Mariko expressed interest again in having a ski/binding setup exactly cosmetically the same as my yellow 2020 era Mindbender/high viz Look package, so I looked around.

Unfortunately this isn’t in the cards: can’t find any NOS hi viz Pivot 14s any more (mine were 2018 era iirc), and the yellow Mindbenders are both too old to be easily available now and also only come in 172 cm on the small end. Mariko will probably end up on 162-165 cm skis when fully grown but not 172s, I think.

I also can’t find a NOS 179 cm set of yellow Mindbenders for me to have as a backup when I wear these ones through.

Therefore I’ll put off coordinating with her until she’s outgrown her current Rustlers and the Blizzard Black Pearl 98s that we have in the garage in 152 cm. By then I’ll be ready for a new setup probably, and we can figure out something that’ll let us be matchy matchy, like with our sandals:

1B1A9A7D-91B7-4A7C-AF46-4D71DA000DEE.jpeg
C9571AFE-5D2B-41E8-B0CA-79B10C4A08BF.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am going to have the wheels rebuilt as 29ers in response to this, so that I can run proper Schwalbe tires for commuting.
I shall update the cockpit, too, with much lower rise bars (probably 6" rise now!) and new grips to go along with my Universal Cycles tire order:

- Schwalbe Marathon GT 365 in 28 x 2.15" aka 700 x 55c
- Salsa Rustler Deluxe alloy, 20 mm rise x 800 mm width should do nicely to lower that front end
- let's go for some weird-ass Ergon GP1 grips because it's a commuter and I like weird things

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The chain must weigh as much as the bike.
It does weigh down the pannier for sure.

The bike is solidly built: Soma Wolverine so Tange chromo iirc, XT calipers with 105 hydro levers, nice DT wheelset shod with 47 mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Tubus rack.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I initially read JBP's statement and thought, but it's a carbon belt drive :D

If you've using a chain that long, why aren't you also looping it through the rear wheel?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I initially read JBP's statement and thought, but it's a carbon belt drive :D

If you've using a chain that long, why aren't you also looping it through the rear wheel?
Yeah, I could with this bike. It’s the right length for front wheel, rack, through frame for the bulkier e-commuter.