Quantcast

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I guess my take is that for a ski that's going to get used 90% on chairs some weight is your friend. And it's not like the Rustlers are that heavy. I've done a bunch of walking on heavier setups. Are they what I'd pick for a dedicated touring ski? For sure, no. But this kind of setup inevitably involves some compromise and if it were me I'd compromise less on the stuff I'm going to do more of.

That said, I don't think they (at least the older 188 that Nick's talking about, I haven't skied the redesigned one) are that much of a step up from the Mindbender 108s in soft / deep snow so they might not be what you're after either.

I haven't skied it but the Elan Ripstick 116 seems promising as a light-ish-but-not-silly option.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Up at house for an appointment with Critter Control. They’ll be closer to 12, taking advantage of that service window. $799 service visit fee, applicable to the actual treatment.

Only 1 (dead) swallow bug visible in the bathroom in question upon getting here. Not sure when the cleaners turned over the place—might have been Saturday or Sunday. Better than before, but I want this permanently fixed.

Critter Control guy over the phone on my slippery drive up over the pass wonders if these are bat mites instead since it sounds like the swallow issue is gone. But this is why I am hiring him.

PHEV minivan charging in the garage and I’m doing an hour easy spin on the Peloton awaiting the Critter Control guy’s arrival.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
He should have another small sacrificial kid that he can send up into all the crawl spaces etc to check for these bats.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So it’s not bats, at least. Blue Tick, who did the initial swallow mitigation, apparently did a sloppy job. No clear source for the mites…

awaiting the Critter Control dude’s proposal. He thinks fixing the flashing can be done with 40’ ladders (vs the $$$$ boom lift last time).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He should have another small sacrificial kid that he can send up into all the crawl spaces etc to check for these bats.
Got a look up there. No creepy crawly monsters visible. A lot of dead flies in one corner: apparently they get in and can’t get out and die, a common thing.

7E42161E-B5CA-4CD3-A416-FF05EF642DAB.jpeg

Once this gets fumigated or whatever he thinks then I should get more insulation put in. ~6” loosely packed in now so maybe R-12 at best.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stucco.PNG

Note the partial exclusion option was zeroed out--doing the 40' ladder, 2 person, complete the work bit. Half of this work is basically to fix shoddy work by the first outfit.

They also do blow-in insulation. Got a quote for $8,789 for 12" x 2,000 sq ft. to add to that already in the attic but that seemed a bit rich... but then again I have no context for this. Getting other quotes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Decided to go a “similar theme but not actually matching” route since I like my Mindbenders and should probably keep them and my Land Cruiser forever and ever.

Anyway, Bob Leisure (scam site? I guess I’ll find out) had 2020-2021 K2 Mindbender 106C in 159 cm still, nicely discounted as NOS. Their color scheme actually thematically fits my yellow ones better than the same-year 2019-2020 model, and the less burly 106C should be a good ski for her when she’s 5’ 4” or so as she’ll still be very thin, I’m guessing.

View attachment 190354

duly ordered up. Shall live in the shed as flat skis until she grows into them, then will put similarly non exact match Look Pivots on them. She was psyched by the prospect, and indulging her interests as steered by me to match mine :D ultimately is the point.
They arrived and aren't of the color scheme depicted, being a year newer (thus nominally 2022). Go figure. Still will be close in theme, if you will, and she's psyched.

Will be at least 2024-2025 season until she's tall enough for 159s!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got the house heated, again, for the swallow bugs. Also will need to have a pest control outfit see exactly what creatures are living where as the swallow bugs clearly are living on some small creature’s tail feathers. Or tails.

Two trailers with 40 kW gensets. Heaters everywhere. House ~130F throughout main and top floors now.

View attachment 190325View attachment 190326View attachment 190327

The structural engineer’s visit to assess the deck for hot tub/swim spa shoring up concerns also coincidentally was this morning. His assessment is basically that the deck is well built (probably to twice code now) but that it’d need reinforcement for either a normal hot tub (about 100 lb/sq ft before people) or a swim spa (about 160 lb/sq ft before people).

For the swim spa he thought it would require multiple posts in concrete caissons plus a metal I beam superstructure. He back of napkined that as $30k of work.

For the regular Bullfrog R8 hot tub he back of napkined it as $5k of work: one caisson, one post centered under it, and then wood beams perpendicular to the stringers that exist to distribute the load to the post. He also recommended adding some metal bolted plates on the facing towards and away from house interface of the outer beams as in this photo (so plates on all four sides ultimately):

View attachment 190328

The story’s not over yet, though: after the engineer wrapped up I was hanging around with the heat treatment guy in the basement and mentioned what I was after, and that my swim spa dream appeared to have been crushed by cost/feasibility. Said guy then mentioned that before getting into the heat treatment business he was a Class A licensed contractor for 25 years, and that he thought it could be done significantly cheaper. He envisioned five or so posts in concrete caissons and a rectangular I beam construct supported on them, again serving the same purpose of relieving the deck proper of load bearing for it.

He took some photos of his own, I emailed him the swim spa specs, and he’s going to get one of his engineer friends to draw up plans that he’d execute as the contractor should I go that route (still paying engineer 1 for his thoughts and to draw up plans for his proposal). So there may be hope yet.
No drawings from structural engineer 1, and no word from heat treatment guy who promised a cheaper alternative from his engineer buddies.

But in the interim, at least, the HOA approved my application for putting an S150 on the deck. :lol: which I'm not going to do because of the above. Will amend it for an R8 once I get the plans. Very slight differences in finish and clearly the size change so I'll have to amend my application.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 5.58.05 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 5.58.25 PM.png

Thinking Driftwood so as to be bland. Snow inside, Dusk cover to match the S150 application and because they're also inoffensive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Acoustic biked with elder two kids to their gymnastics class since the weather's beautiful for the moment.

90 cm chain just barely fit through all 3 frames and front wheels, but it did.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I meant to message you, if that's the resource you recommended to me he came out last week and I had my simple report by Sunday - thank you.
I got the simple report, too. Awaiting architectural drawings that a contractor could implement.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
looks like my code works

:)

(code in question was to generate the underlying data, then also to parse out the individual scenarios—like this one is full width half maximum metric as applied to the stenotic area of the third of five modeled fake vessels—and then interpolate a grid and make the pretty surface map and all.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They also do blow-in insulation. Got a quote for $8,789 for 12" x 2,000 sq ft. to add to that already in the attic but that seemed a bit rich... but then again I have no context for this. Getting other quotes.
Got another quote for $3,700 + a $250 service area fee. (And attempts to upsell on attic fans etc.)

That sounds much more reasonable. It’ll be ~$2k in materials alone as I calculate it.

No swallow bugs visible today upon getting up here, but then again a group rented it from Tuesday-today iirc so it was turned over during the day.

Edit: two swallow bugs spotted in the culprit bathroom today. Shall proceed with the nuclear option fogging of the attic. Would rather have less money and no bugs.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My girls getting their various degrees of lean angle on. Still trying to get Mariko to get her upper body more upright. Her and Yuna’s left turns are better than right, go figure. /Zoolander

B10A0F21-EB3B-4EF4-9F61-6D748C08D596.jpeg
6BFF61E4-EB7A-4BDF-9491-BB28C03B7C69.jpeg
3FA351EE-5495-44E7-B5FA-02991A310C57.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My right knee is twinging medially a bit this morning after skiing Sat/Tues/Thu/Sat.

It’s a sign of my advanced age that I actually had to go look up my MRI results to confirm that it indeed is my right sided medial meniscus that I tore, and that this is not some new malady.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Outside of Aspen. Multiple skiers caught in it per the last post I saw.

FFDBFA02-DBE3-44A4-A947-47171450F739.jpeg

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Make of this what you will:
That's a good article. I'd read parts of that tale before but it tied it in well.

The (cheap off brand "Logan" hydraulic) discs on my commuter indeed do suck for a heavy thing that can do 30 mph if pedaled briskly. It does have a throttle but that's only until 20 mph and I only use it to get off the line at intersections now and then. Thus my pending XT 4 pot swap.

Probably will end up with a similar setup on the RadWagon, I imagine, as it has "Radius" brand mechanical discs now. I'll let a shop sort that one out since that'll be one long-ass run for the rear brake. Perhaps its lower speed and greater leverage via 22" wheels (vs. 26" fatbike wheels) will make this unnecessary.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the HOA approved my application for putting an S150 on the deck. :lol: which I'm not going to do because of the above. Will amend it for an R8 once I get the plans. Very slight differences in finish and clearly the size change so I'll have to amend my application.
I went to the Costco Bullfrog event down in Littleton and it was worth my time. (They have an old-ass parking setup there! Do not like. And everything is laid out all weird, with the separate dairy cooled area and all. Anyway.)

These don't mean much without context, but they're $1,600-2,000 off of normal prices, and have a few extras as in the fine print on the left. $125 delivery fee by my perusing of Google Maps and some rudimentary math.

@stoney this may be of interest to you depending on what size etc. you're after. Mike Freyler, Bullfrog Spas, 5435 Boatworks Dr, Littleton. 303-721-7727. This Costco-subsidized deal is good until the 25th.

update: going forward with an R8L (same price as the A7L on the list, an off-list option). Still waiting on the structural engineer's drawings (promised as soon) but the deck as it sits now will support the empty hot tub easily. It's the water and the people within it, to a lesser extent, that's the real load. Will charge it and draw down on my slush fund/taxable account to pay it off immediately.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Maiden voyage. Handling kinda weird with kids on back! Standing up not recommended. Brakes are actually fine in terms of power. Rubbing a bit up front out of the box, as it were.

Raising assist speed limit to 25 mph from stock 20 mph as that felt a bit low. Wouldn’t want to go more than 22-24 mph loaded up with the handling but bouncing off 20 mph in assist level 4 of 5 fairly easily with how it’s geared.

EA590139-2F03-42F9-A398-D5035539DC20.jpeg

CF1A5DC3-015A-4945-B75D-0FEB2A676DBE.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Note dinner chair booster seat as the second Deck Pad butt pad thing isn’t here yet.

Maiden voyage. Handling kinda weird with kids on back! Standing up not recommended. Brakes are actually fine in terms of power. Rubbing a bit up front out of the box, as it were.

Raising assist speed limit to 25 mph from stock 20 mph as that felt a bit low. Wouldn’t want to go more than 22-24 mph loaded up with the handling but bouncing off 20 mph in assist level 4 of 5 fairly easily with how it’s geared.

View attachment 191331
View attachment 191330
Dangerous