Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
$12,000: Hybrid and Electric Trucks

This might help me for a future electric pickup or van. Highway capable, GVWR > 8,500 lb, >= 4 kWh battery, new purchases or >= 24 mo leases alike. Light duty vehicles as well as buses that seat at least 33 (?! random) qualify.

credit amounts scale by year and GVWR. gravy train ends in 2025 for class 3-6. class 2 is treated the same tax-wise as non-truck passenger vehicles, which is fair enough.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 10.10.28 PM.png

so I should angle to purchase a class 3-6 electric truck in 2025, eh
Too bad I don’t operate a fleet in California. $45k incentive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Finding an actual price tag is quite tough.

I did find that Loveland based Lightning can repower low floor 40 ft buses

and that the electrified class 3 Transit is Buy America certified

Lightning eMotors has announced that its Class 3 Lightning ZEV3 all-electric passenger van is Buy America certified. This certification, along with Lightning eMotors’s Altoona Testing certification, makes the Lightning ZEV3 fully eligible for funding through the $4 billion Federal Transit Administration Low- and No-Emissions grant program, and positions Lightning’s products for other incentives such as the Federal Aviation Administration’s zero-emission airport shuttle program (Buy American).
can I establish my own private fleet for this grant program?! :D boo, apparently not

Eligible Applicants
Eligible applicants include direct or designated recipients of FTA grants; States; local governmental authorities; and Indian Tribes. Except for projects proposed by Indian Tribes, proposals for funding eligible projects in rural (non-urbanized) areas must be submitted as part of a consolidated state proposal. States and other eligible applicants also may submit consolidated proposals for projects in urbanized areas.
I’m fairly certain I’ve looked this up before, too, heh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
opened up a $30k card with some random Cleveland credit union because 0% APR x 12 mo with 0% transfer fee intro offer
ended up applying for and getting extended another $22k in credit
And that's saying something coming from you!:D
for the record, I have all of 2 cards with annual fees now. well, at least that I know of :D . both garner benefits well beyond the fees.

and I've paid credit card interest once in my life, iirc: when I was floating moving costs for a month before getting reimbursed for them when coming here to my current employer from Seattle. was something like $60 maybe?

all other bills are settled up in full each month, winning bigly from the credit card companies by making them float my spending each month.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Back in Denver. Land Cruiser is one^Htwo or four catalytic converter(s) lighter

Video of straight pipe roar

IMG_0782.jpeg
IMG_0780.jpeg
IMG_0770.jpeg
IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0765.jpeg
IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0747.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stolen at the airport parking or from your driveway?
Train station parking. Central Park Station along the A Line. We’ve found that’s more convenient than running the gauntlet of airport parking + their shuttles. Well, at least when my cat isn’t stolen. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
45 60 min of massage chair action and a clean butt via my Washlet. Life is good even with the minor inconvenience as above.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
$120k was too low

Lightning eMotors said:
Toshi, I’m writing as a follow-up to your interest in our ZEV3 Passenger Transit vans. Our current inventory is at 5 vans and we will not have more available in that style until probably late 2024, so you’ll need to act quickly if this is a good fit for you. I’ve attached a spec sheet and within it you’ll want to look at the column and specs for the 120kWh (10 +Driver) variety because that’s what we have in stock. The price is $143, 950 and would be eligible for a $12,000 tax credit from CO and $3,200 from the federal government. Your operating cost will be 80% less than for a gas version, and if you drive enough, you’ll breakeven probably within 1.5-2 years. After that, it’s a money maker for you and an extremely sustainable vehicle to own.

Let me know if your[sic] still interested and if you’d like to look at financing option. Also, do you already have level 2 AC charging at the depot?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Back in Denver. Land Cruiser is one catalytic converter lighter
Went down to Exhaust Pros on Colfax—they'd replaced the muffler on the Land Cruiser a year or two back.

Turns out I have either 2 or 4 catalytic converters. Aftermarket is $1600 per and that vendor insists I need 4. OEM is $2000 per and per their fitment I need just 2. Add in the O2 sensors also swiped (as they're screwed into the cats), heat shields, labor and this is well over $5k.

So it'll warrant a comprehensive claim, duly filed. I'll have to go back to Exhaust Pros at some future time to have both them and the adjuster pore over things again. Then they'll order the cats, apparently living in a warehouse in Kansas City. Then back yet again to get the job done.

I also filed a police report online, and to thwart this in the future also ordered a skid plate. All the off-road centric ones from Slee and the like either replace or require a specific aftermarket crossmember. Per an IH8MUD thread I found an Israeli (!) company, Asfir 4x4, that makes a bolt on fitment for the 100 series that should give the cats some protection. $482, no tax collected, free shipping from Israel. Given the lag time inherent in the above process it should be here in time, and in the meantime I'll be e-biking about this joint as usual.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
EQB has left the building. Was paid the last $1k, turned over the key fobs, ChargePoint RFID tiny card that should still get them free charging sessions under nominally my account, Stealth hitch keys.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
EQB has left the building. Was paid the last $1k, turned over the key fobs, ChargePoint RFID tiny card that should still get them free charging sessions under nominally my account, Stealth hitch keys.
So what's next?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
New misting giant cantilevered patio umbrella is nice

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

should provide cover for hot tub, and can be easily swiveled on its base to shade the patio as well

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
going to check the dates on the Land Cruiser's KO2s and Nokians but both have likely aged out by many reasonable measures.
Minivan 2 Nokians (2 discarded last changeover for worn out tread):

IMG_0807.jpeg

26th week of 2018. So good for another season or three yet if tread holds up.

Land Cruiser’s still good tread life Nokians, on the other hand, are from the 46th week of 2014. That’s old. I should replace them either this upcoming season or the next certainly.

So what's next?
Nothing in near future: Land Cruiser frugality, saving for traveling, paying down my ample debt here and there. Then later, after the electric minivan for my wife and high rate debts tamed, maybe something.
Don’t want something too fancy to get dirty. I like the concept of a Ram BEV in a few years. Or maybe just Land Cruiser forever + e-biking as much as possible.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went down to Exhaust Pros on Colfax—they'd replaced the muffler on the Land Cruiser a year or two back.

Turns out I have either 2 or 4 catalytic converters. Aftermarket is $1600 per and that vendor insists I need 4. OEM is $2000 per and per their fitment I need just 2. Add in the O2 sensors also swiped (as they're screwed into the cats), heat shields, labor and this is well over $5k.

So it'll warrant a comprehensive claim, duly filed. I'll have to go back to Exhaust Pros at some future time to have both them and the adjuster pore over things again. Then they'll order the cats, apparently living in a warehouse in Kansas City. Then back yet again to get the job done.

I also filed a police report online, and to thwart this in the future also ordered a skid plate. All the off-road centric ones from Slee and the like either replace or require a specific aftermarket crossmember. Per an IH8MUD thread I found an Israeli (!) company, Asfir 4x4, that makes a bolt on fitment for the 100 series that should give the cats some protection. $482, no tax collected, free shipping from Israel. Given the lag time inherent in the above process it should be here in time, and in the meantime I'll be e-biking about this joint as usual.
If insurance is covering it why not take it to Toyota?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0851.jpeg

expensive milk frother: obtained. Classic Pro Evo.

had to learn how to un-clog the Encore: friends using it at mountain house clogged it up. Cup of French press next to me now. Will try an amateur espresso pull next with the single hole portafilter and the cheater plastic fake crema thing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got this intriguing letter in the mail

IMG_0865.jpeg

I am signing up to participate if they pick me. New loaner vehicle to drive for 3 weeks, $500 for the hassle, and contributing to emissions testing research? Relevant to my interests indeed.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0887.jpeg

pooled as promised. took the RadWagon, unassisted as this was at kid pace

IMG_0888.jpeg

spotted this setup on the ride back. the trailer was indeed hooked up via a sliding 5th wheel hitch. that's a current gen F-150, SuperCrew, 5.5' bed. at least in prior years one couldn't get the Max Trailer Tow Package with the 5.5' bed but per the 2023 info it does appear to be available (see page 4 here).

various unicorn combos of the SuperCrew short bed 4x4 F-150 can be rated for bumper pull towing as high as 13,800 lb (EcoBoost, 3.55 gears) or 13,000 lb (5.0 V8, 3.73 gears) if the Max Trailer Tow Package is specified. the PowerBoost hybrid is close behind at 12,300 lb with the same package.

that's bumper pull. for 5th wheel towing (pages 6 and 7 in that PDF) the PowerBoost 4x4 is 8,500 lb, the Coyote 10,800 lb, and the normal 3.5 liter EcoBoost 9,800 lb. oddly the small 2.7 liter EcoBoost can do 10,000 here. pin weight of 15% should be fine if only just so with any of these with said Max Trailer Tow Package (see page 10, which assumes 150 lb passengers x each seating position instead of just giving one payload).

anyway, time to figure out what that trailer is. from the slides that would be a Rockwood 281RK.

2023-RW-Sig-5W_2442BS_2023.jpg

7,950 lb unladen with 1,252 lb hitch weight at that same unladen state, 1,902 lb carrying capacity. so 9,852 lb fully laden so about 1,580 lb max hitch/pin weight. per page 10 of the Ford spec sheet that should be fine but only barely so if filled with normal size passengers.

the long and short of it is that that F-150 + small 5th wheel combo is within the vehicle's specs but only barely so on all accounts (and if he got the PowerBoost then he's quite a bit over the limits).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 198779

expensive milk frother: obtained. Classic Pro Evo.

had to learn how to un-clog the Encore: friends using it at mountain house clogged it up. Cup of French press next to me now. Will try an amateur espresso pull next with the single hole portafilter and the cheater plastic fake crema thing.
so far have been using the single hole portafilter and cheater plastic thing. and that, with probably quite wrongly ground and improperly pull timed double shots of non-espresso roast ground on my unclogged Encore, actually tastes quite fine as mochas as is my wont.

so perhaps I will not go down the grinder rabbit hole at all, and instead relish in my unsophisticated espresso(-based drink) palette.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
were I a dentist in Colorado, I simply would not be thick enough to name my practice DICC

IMG_0892.jpeg

it’s on 1st Ave between the Cherry Creek Mall and Colorado Blvd.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 177547

Financial shenanigans proceeding as planned.

Again, this chunk of money is 0 fee, 0 interest x 15 months via a Union Bank promo offer. I'm using it to invest more this month and next, whereas I would have had to make an untimely withdrawal from my taxable account otherwise. At the worst it'll have financed yet more investments that Betterment will reset the basis on via tax loss harvesting, and at the best it'll have financed some nicely on sale investments that earn me actual money instead of tax writeoffs.

Free money is free money, and once I repay this at 15 months this account's fee-free existence will only serve to lower my credit utilization ratio even more. (Normally I'm in the 1-3% utilization range each month.)
credit score gods were appeased a bit even mid month in June. but now angered once again: opened up a $30k card with some random Cleveland credit union because 0% APR x 12 mo with 0% transfer fee intro offer. if I can float $30k for free for 12 mo then yes, I'll take the transient credit score hit.
all other bills are settled up in full each month, winning bigly from the credit card companies by making them float my spending each month.
15 months later: Union Bank was shut down by the FDIC in the small-banks-insolvency sweep, bought by US Bank. I also did another 0% APR, 0 fee balance transfer of another small pile of debt in the interim to my existing BECU account.

as the 0% can-kicking for Union-turned-US Bank was near the end of the road I thus opened the extra account with that Cleveland credit union, First Tech. and now I've transferred $29.9k of that debt pile to First Tech.

0% APR x 12 more months. can successfully kicked. no fees, no interest == me winning in the face of inflation.

at the end of this 12 month road I'll either finally pay it off with money stashed in my taxable account in the interim, or will kick it further yet with a(nother—had one in past but closed account due to inactivity) Citi Simplicity: 0% APR x 21 mo on the promo balance transfer offer. 3% fee for this, but over 21 months that's a quite acceptable amount of interest, effectively a 1.6%ish rate. still well lower than inflation.
requoting these old pics because in a few months I'm downsizing. tires, that is.

the above are 33" KO2s and 32" Nokians. stock diameter is 31" flat. I'm going to go with 30.5" meats for Nokian and four-season tires alike since I'm not off-roading. lighter and smaller circumference, which will make the old beast jump at commands a little better.
Then I'm at Colorado Center next Wednesday. RTD fares are free July and August so I think I'll take the acoustic commuter bike, ride to Central Park Station, then A + E Line to Colorado Station. Easy mile long ride up Colorado at lunchtime for Thai food. Reverse train ride + acoustic 3.2 mi ride back home from Central Park.

View attachment 196977

Longer than in the car, yes, but not in the car, not being traffic, and riding trains. :) This route has a Union Station to Union Station (different track) easy transfer.
Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.02.56 PM.png

traveled to Colorado Center today. unlike the proposed plans above (acoustic bike - train - train - at destination) I did e-bike - train - e-bike on the way down, and rode/"rode" back the whole way up past Suncor and all.

31 miles in the saddle (paused activity while on the A Line), 2/10 (?) bars left of charge noting that I lowered assist and my speed a bit on the crowded Cherry Creek Trail in deference to other trail users. I shall do some variant of this when I'm at Colorado Center in the future, as I am periodically.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Final Costco summer sale purchase finally arrived: Sunbrella patio furniture for the back patio, to live behind a locked gate.

The old-ass, super faded non-Sunbrella patio furniture got moved to the front porch. If someone is so hard up that they want to steal it then more power to them. No one has stolen the broken hoverboard perpetually there or my snow shovels from there over the years.

IMG_0899.jpeg

Anyway, this is too big to fit through doors. Shall unpack on the porch and move pieces individually.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg

faded old furniture as promised

IMG_0903.jpeg

new set is Yuna-approved.

next up, after closing upstairs windows and another 15’ massage chair session, will be to tear up the back yard with the electric cultivator that arrived today.

Current super sad state, focal holes being from weed patch extraction and the trench extending from where the concrete guy extended the buried downspout:

IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0906.jpeg
IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg
IMG_0909.jpeg