Quantcast

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
My alien long-baby runs cold, apparently. (98F during this ride down to drop her off at a friend’s house to hang out.)

IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg
IMG_3978.jpeg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Gross and net electricity usage for the Denver house in this time of use era

IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4009.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Note that AC use doesn’t even register as a change in gross electricity use. All the net fluctuation is from the PV output with the seasons.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The Land Cruiser auction closed at $14,999. Lower than I'd hoped but ok. I ended up putting last minute money into it fixing things that were not right that I in all honesty did not know about it. So my true net is less, but then I can sleep with a clear enough conscience.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
status update, 7/17 edition

1) saving up for 2025 Japan trip
after the Land Cruiser funds are plopped in my taxable account as well as $2k I'm still expecting from MPEI for the 2 ton heat pump install I'll be about 3 months of saving away from hitting my desired $100k slush fund number. :)

edit: after more juggling this project should be complete as of my end of July paycheck. then onto paying the piper/paying down debts.

2) house hail damage claim
still awaiting the insurance estimate! they are super slow. and still planning on standing seam metal roof.

3) Land Cruiser hail damage claim and 4) commuter bike 29er conversion
done

5) mountain house deck reinforcement project
redo of the concrete piers to be the per-spec 16" diameter is scheduled for 7/30-31.

6) hot tub swap for swim spa project
Aug 12 planned relocation date for the hot tub here (with crane in Tabernash). and then the planned Aug 19 delivery + crane over shed date for the swim spa delivery itself.

7) mountain house extra heat pump zone
done.

8) project Electrify the Cars
pending ID.Buzz availability.

9) research projects for work
no motion on the contract. I should probably do something this academic year, eh. hmm.

10) music stuff
still haven't started practicing in earnest.

11) work investigation
no new news.

12) reading for fun and profit
still reading a ton. currently on Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks.

Narrator: Toshi shall not be retiring 10 years from now under any reasonable scenario

View attachment 214825
with the imminent completion of my Japan-savings mini project then it's time to hack away at my sundry piles of debt. I took some time to update the tables tonight. good thing I make a lot of money, eh? because this is certainly a formidable pile of debt I have accrued, with the HELOC draws being for the mountain house renovation project.

debt the newer.PNG

I'm still totally fine for the long term as per the freed up cashflow metrics, and the biggest chunks of it are fixed rate at highly enviable rates. and I successfully avoided cash crunches over these past few years, which was my biggest concern in years of late.

I think I'll depart just a bit from the purely mathematically rational approach and kill that Slice loan first once I hit my Japan trip taxable account target. then every free cent directed towards that PNC HELOC next, then to the Third Federal HELOC, and so forth. if the Fed loosens and the Prime Rate goes down then that'll help a bunch as well with those floating HELOCs.

edit: forgot a debt! $209/mo for the lovely 1% APR x 10 years fixed Electrify Everything loan from MPEI for the PV and heat pump setup there.

edit 2: did one last juggling act to kick another thing to a short term promo rate debt x 12 months (0% APR, 3% fee). this should let me get my taxable account to my magic $100k number this month. then the paying down of the high rate debts project will start immediately, assuming monthly cash flow allows for it.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
with the freed up cashflow I'll be able to tackle things at a much quicker rate, especially by those 2026 and 2036 milestones.

but between the size of the debt pile itself and that I will have 3 kids to get through college (first will enter in 2031, last will finish in 2039) retiring in 2034 is just not going to happen. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Update to the flat tire story: Les Schwab patch or plug job from yesterday failed, with it sitting at 15 psi. Hole too big. New tire time. They quoted $350 or so, but I balked as this isn’t a weird size (235/60R18). I’ll try to get them to price match Tire Rack’s $233.92 for the exact same tire.

update: they do not price match. And I wanted it done that day. So I paid their tax.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Update to the flat tire story: Les Schwab patch or plug job from yesterday failed, with it sitting at 15 psi. Hole too big. New tire time. They quoted $350 or so, but I balked as this isn’t a weird size (235/60R18). I’ll try to get them to price match Tire Rack’s $233.92 for the exact same tire.

Try Moar Schwab

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
While the Land Cruiser is still physically in my driveway awaiting the shipper, it’s legally not mine. Bill of sale and signed over title dated Wednesday are in the mail to the Georgia buyer, plates are pulled from it (as they don’t follow the car in Colorado), I had the funds for it wired to me yesterday, and after confirming today with the buyer that he had his insurance lined up I dropped it from my policy today.

IMG_4049.jpeg

$529.50 savings per 6 mo for taking it off my policy will pay for 1.61 Busy Forks leases per month

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
“I don’t like people. I’m socially awkward.”

-my Mariko-kun, explaining why she doesn’t want to do the 3 hours-with-unfamiliar-kids Comp Center summer program ride tomorrow up in Winter Park but would rather instead go on a mountain bike ride with just me

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The Land Cruiser auction closed at $14,999. Lower than I'd hoped but ok. I ended up putting last minute money into it fixing things that were not right that I in all honesty did not know about it. So my true net is less, but then I can sleep with a clear enough conscience.
IMG_4050.jpeg

my ~$800/yr depreciation over the two periods of time I owned the Land Cruiser doesn’t seem that bad after all. this was a $133-140k new car. with tax they took a $100k+ haircut in 3 years (as Tesla model years coincide with actual years.)

oofda

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Latest book read

IMG_4003.jpeg

and now onto either this or David Weber’s By Schism Rent Asunder. I think I’ll go with the latter to get out of space world for a bit.

IMG_4051.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Up Rooney Valley, down Box o’ Rox. She had fun.

Some short videos there

IMG_4052.jpeg
IMG_4054.jpeg
IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4068.png

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Had a bit of a rainy drive home after my wife’s Denver Muncipal Band concert tonight. Visibility was worse than it looks through the dashcam’s lens (at the link), fwiw.

Note the dancing manhole cover. Also note mini water fording experience in our detour: I didn’t want to risk being marooned in the I-70 below grade section by Purina so went north.

Said water fording caused a part of an underbody cover to pry off and drag, so I remedied that by popping the car up on ramps and cutting off the offending piece.

IMG_4075.jpeg
IMG_4074.jpeg
IMG_4077.jpeg
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4081.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Had a bit of a rainy drive home after my wife’s Denver Muncipal Band concert tonight. Visibility was worse than it looks through the dashcam’s lens (at the link), fwiw.

Note the dancing manhole cover. Also note mini water fording experience in our detour: I didn’t want to risk being marooned in the I-70 below grade section by Purina so went north.

Said water fording caused a part of an underbody cover to pry off and drag, so I remedied that by popping the car up on ramps and cutting off the offending piece.

View attachment 215354View attachment 215355View attachment 215356View attachment 215357View attachment 215358View attachment 215359
How about buddy infront of you driving in that shit with his lights off? :mad:

Also, new wagon for you:
:busted:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
How about buddy infront of you driving in that shit with his lights off? :mad:

Also, new wagon for you:
:busted:
Yeah, that Escape had fleet plates. Rental car. It had its DRLs on and no doubt the dash was lighted, so he was 100% clueless other than perhaps wondering why his "low beams" were so weak.

I tried a Yuba Supermarche some years back and that was enough to convince me that a front-box cargo bike was not for me. I have certain expectations of how bike-shaped objects should handle, even very long ones... and longtails fit that ideal much better.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Cog railway and Build a Bear. Even my Mariko-kun isn’t too old for that :)

Also did mini golf, mini bowling, and the kind of lame arcade off camera, too

IMG_4219.jpeg
IMG_4216.jpeg
IMG_4210.jpeg
IMG_4211.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpeg
IMG_4236.jpeg
IMG_4239.jpeg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Mini project: will ostensibly compatible $20/filter 3rd party filters work in my Bullfrog?

View attachment 214510

I had my doubts due to the extra slot on the OEM Wellspring ones. The oval hole on the 3rd party ones actually seems to do the trick just fine.

View attachment 214509

View attachment 214508

(And in theory this should be the last set of filters I need to buy, as Vacasa via a contractor will take over hot tub maintenance once this guy gets moved westward next month.)

View attachment 214507
an update for anyone who might care:

returning these 3rd party filters. the oval hole vs extra slot design difference/laziness meant I had to distort their geometry to get them both to fit and to have the covers screw down atop them.

and then, when pulling them off just now to set up the return, it was apparent that their filter media is much more lightweight and thus presumably less effective than those on the real deal ones.

in conclusion: apparently you get what you pay for. who knew