Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Motionboy2
It is. Looks like someone got their new Macro lens! :thumb:
:D

i feel like i'm a character in "the little mermaid," as it's really a whole new world (of the small)... hehe

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so my 2002 z1 fr is now at 80mm of extra-firm and extra-damped travel. it is sweet. thanks, keith. (some modifications of parts, along with a whole stack of negative springs, were necessitated by the travel change.)

in other news, my web server is going to be unplugged in about half an hour, and it will be living in my car as i go on a road trip until about sept 16. then it, and all of this thread's pictures that are linked from it, should reappear on the net, hosted from my parents' fiber optic :eek: connection in washington. until then, i bid you all adieu

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i'm back home. parents have a fiber optic connection since the county power and utility outfit decided it would be fun to wire the whole county for fiber optics. cool, eh?

http://www.gcpud.org/zipp/

of course they are moving in about 2 weeks (after 4 years here -- we seem to move every 4 years, hmm), so i and my server are losing this lovely connection. we might be renting a fraction of a t1 at the new place, but it will be slower and more expensive. :mad:

as for da road trip, it was 7345 miles, 27 days... during that time, i raced at platekill (mountaincross, got dead last :D ), rode at a few national and state parks, and did lots of sightseeing and picture-snapping. the pics will take a few days to sort out, but will surface soon enough. time to eat and sleep now

(national parks seen: acadia, great smoky mountains, shenendoa, mammoth cave, carlsbad caverns, white sand [natl monument, not park, close enough], guadalupe mountains, saguaro, grand canyon, capitol reef, bryce canyon, zion, arches, canyonlands. yup, got my money's worth out of my parks pass hehe)

ok, trip pics are up:

7345 miles of america

a biking related pic from the above:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's an old school bike pic of me, with the off-road/proflex 550. elastomer rear suspension, rigid front fork with a girvin flexstem, ah, those were the days

:dead:

also note that all pics in this thread will be broken once again until october 16, when i return from japan. my parents are moving while i'm over there, and i don't have any faith that they'll set up my webserver in its new home until i return myself

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i am in japan. life is good and i have eaten tempura, udon, oden, and shabu shabu, just to name some highlights. :D i have also done some riding, amazingly enough.

in karuizawa i was basically marooned for a few days as my grandparents played golf, so a bike was rented and i tooled around town on it. with a covered chain, handlebar basket, really short cranks and three speed internal hub it was no speed machine, but i did manage to wheelie, bunnyhop, and ride along a curb a la tufts on it. :) fun.

also, i spied a nice kona roast, sporting a uncomfortable looking sella italia flite saddle, owned by a young guy who runs an outdoor-wear shop in karuizawa. now i am back in tokyo, however, and no riding looms in the future. however, i will be going to kyoto, nagasaki, yokohama, and morioka in the next two weeks, so perhaps something interesting, even with wheels, will turn up in the upcoming days

cheers, y'all

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by splat
Those Brakes look kinda funny too.
ah, that's because all of the commuter bikes in japan have a "ring lock", where the locking bit normally lives in the crescent that you see and slides to complete the circle (going through the spokes) when locked/parked. flimsy but easier than toting a cable or u-lock, and when all the bikes are basically the same there's little incentive to steal one

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SO with that Shaft drive , did it have an internal Multi speed hub ?
i can't tell. the text on the hub says something like "Original shaft drive technology by Morusti[?]". however, many commuter bikes, including the one i rented in karuizawa, have 3 speed internal hubs, so i wouldn't be surprised.

here's a link that suggests it is possible: http://www.chainless.com/faq.html

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's a cool sequence, definitely not taken by me (of someone in ridebmx):

[the guy took the pic down, too bad]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by hans2
woa...did he just run and launch himself onto a carefully balanced bike? Or were they both moving?
the way i heard it was that the bike was stationary, held in place by a wad of stickers, and he ran at it. crazy.

in more local news, i finally replaced my worn 40t bashring with a snazzy new 36t model:

before:

after:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fresh bike pics are to come (even as ski season descends on us, hmm), since i have the following parts sitting in my room right now:

oh wait, the parts:

2 arrow launch tires for the evil
a new protaper for the dbr for matching controls
a 50mm woodman stem for the evil again
new tubes for all bikes, now that i think of it maybe it's time to pull the tires off of the road bike too, any suggestions on 700c meats?
a new 8 spd cassette for the dbr (8 speed xtr FOREVER!)
new chains all around as well, driving across country wasn't good for them
a fresh terry firefly saddle, since wtb has finally stopped making my favorite sst ti model in favor of their newfangled speed v's and such
and finally, and undeniably the coolest thing: 2 forged steel park tire levers. i never knew i needed these until today

:D :D :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
I'm buying a Nikon 50mm AF 1.8D for my Nikon FE-10. I'll be working with film some now that I take photo at school. Next year I might have access to a dark room too.

:)
cool, i love fast lenses and the 50mm perspective. have fun with it. i actually bust out my 50 exclusively on the road trip that i just returned from (well, interview trip, almost a road trip), but with the crop factor of digi-slrs it's an 80. makes for a nice portrait look tho (look here).

but instead of posting mugs of my friends, here's something of more general interest :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
Mmm, Ana's Taqueria. Well, I've shot about 3 rolls with the new lens but don't have any prints yet.

Do you know any easy way to get a D100 for free? :D
come on, get cracking, bucko. we need prints here. heh, why WOULD you want a D100 anyway? ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
new evil shots: i did maintenance/updates yesterday :D

sorry about the oversharpening halo on the last one. it's because i took it on the s30. (batteries are dead in my 420ex)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and yet more bike (if not biking, since i have no one to ride with/take pics of me or vice versa :() pics:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
What is the little circuit board for ? looks like a Serial to Parrallel ( and then some ) converter.
It's a programming board for wireless sensor network nodes. I'm using it to program the little wireless devices that are going to run a wirless gadget I'm designing. Parallel is input (for progarmming). Serial is output (for using the programming board as a central node/docknig station that connects to the pc) learn all about the hardware at www.xbow.com

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi, have you gotten bored of any of your camera toys yet? I'm looking to buy some new equipment, and I believe you have most, if not all, of the things I want.

50mm 1.4 (the pics I took with your 50 are still some of the best I have)
fisheye (because the wall is always a little too close at your back)
remote flash (it's just cool)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hehe, nope, i'm still using all my lenses, and couldn't live without remote flash. well, i could live with no flash, but direct flash is horrid

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
last night my former roommate ken ferry and i decided that it was a great time to revise the website. so it has been done, a new look has finally come. keith, your comments would be appreciated. :D the friends page was the first to be recast in the new style.

note the "Subject" field at bottom -- the point of this renovation was to allow me to tag every single picture with its occupant(s) so that a script can race through the server at a later date, create a database, and automagically generate pages for each subject. in other words, there will be an individual page for every person who has appeared on my website enough for me to remember their name, pretty much :D heh.

ok, here's keith's page for the sampling (the pics are the same, the layout is what's diff, thus the link to html):

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/friends/Pages/135.html

for an example of old layout check out the unicycling page on my mother's account:

http://harvard03.ath.cx/~yoko/unicyclists'%20gathering%20-%20november%2026,%202003/

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi
last night my former roommate ken ferry and i decided that it was a great time to revise the website. so it has been done, a new look has finally come. keith, your comments would be appreciated. :D the friends page was the first to be recast in the new style... etc.

Assuming you have as many pics as I do, you have embarked upon a sizeable mission. (I left a text field in my database for tagging pics in exactly this way, but have never had the chance to actually go through and tag 2000+ photos.)

so, comments/criticisms:

first of all, A+ for concept

Layout gets points for slickness and simplicity

some execution suggestions:
-it would be cool to have names/faces linked up right from the beginning. On the main index pages you just have pics, but if the build script laid them out so that the subjects printed out under the picture I think it would be more useful for putting names and faces together.
-Also the main index images are a bit large at 5k apiece for the number of images you put to a page, lower-res or smaller images and fewer to a page would probably be better.
-A searchable text index would also be useful. "I want to find Kyoko, but I don't want to look through the photo index for her face"
-Resizing: when the individual images pages come up, the subject text overlaps with "back to album index"
-set border=0 around the little circular arrow buttons

Questions:
-I don't understand how the drop shadow border around the pictures works. from the html it looks like it is made up of 10 gifs, but how do they resize for each picture?
-why the change to harvard03 from tjclark?
-what does your database datastructure look like?
(mine is [id#][path][src][rank=hits-(# of NO votes)][hits][textkey (field for tagging photos)])

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, it's a beast redoing all this.

hmm, i've experimented with having comments (if not the subject tags) on the index pages, but public acclaim was not widespread.

as for size, everyone cool has broadband, no? :D whoever looks at my page is procrastinating or on a mission to find something anyway...

ah, the subject pages are coming soon! then there will be one page listing every subject, and autogenerated pages containing every picture with that subject will be linked from there. so the subject page could be the searchable text you refer to.

huh, looks fine on my big screen wrt resizing so i'm keeping the template clean :D.

about borders, i just added border:0; to the a style definition in the style sheet linked below. tell me if it still is broken (after reloading the style sheet) k

drop shadow is cool. half is handled by the template i use for exporting which is parsed to html, other half is handled by the style sheet itself. you can check out the style sheet at http://harvard03.ath.cx/PaperMatteResources/paperMatteCombined.css . if you want to see the template i can post that, too, but it's no use unless you use my exporting program which is os x/iphoto only.

why harvard03? well, as you can see on the main page, the server's being used by a couple of my friends. who are mostly '03. heh. so i picked something less me-specific now that i'm not the sole user.

i actually know squat about the database. that portion is entirely the work of others. i'm not too sure how much my former roommate, ken ferry, wrote of it, but he did something to the system at least. plus i haven't generated it yet since i'm still in the process of tagging images and rexporting with the new template (which needs to be done for the database generation script to parse the subject tags).

yay for geekiness

Originally posted by WTGPhoben
Assuming you have as many pics as I do, you have embarked upon a sizeable mission. (I left a text field in my database for tagging pics in exactly this way, but have never had the chance to actually go through and tag 2000+ photos.)

so, comments/criticisms:

first of all, A+ for concept

Layout gets points for slickness and simplicity

some execution suggestions:
-it would be cool to have names/faces linked up right from the beginning. On the main index pages you just have pics, but if the build script laid them out so that the subjects printed out under the picture I think it would be more useful for putting names and faces together.
-Also the main index images are a bit large at 5k apiece for the number of images you put to a page, lower-res or smaller images and fewer to a page would probably be better.
-A searchable text index would also be useful. "I want to find Kyoko, but I don't want to look through the photo index for her face"
-Resizing: when the individual images pages come up, the subject text overlaps with "back to album index"
-set border=0 around the little circular arrow buttons

Questions:
-I don't understand how the drop shadow border around the pictures works. from the html it looks like it is made up of 10 gifs, but how do they resize for each picture?
-why the change to harvard03 from tjclark?
-what does your database datastructure look like?
(mine is [id#][path][src][rank=hits-(# of NO votes)][hits][textkey (field for tagging photos)])

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, and i don't know how many exactly i have up on the web, but i have shot 17000+ in the last 1.5 years :D . so maybe 4k are up? who knows. it's at least 25 GB worth (in tiff form mostly) :eek:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi

huh, looks fine on my big screen wrt resizing so i'm keeping the template clean :D.

about borders, i just added border:0; to the a style definition in the style sheet linked below. tell me if it still is broken (after reloading the style sheet) k

drop shadow is cool. half is handled by the template i use for exporting which is parsed to html, other half is handled by the style sheet itself. you can check out the style sheet at http://harvard03.ath.cx/PaperMatteResources/paperMatteCombined.css . if you want to see the template i can post that, too, but it's no use unless you use my exporting program which is os x/iphoto only.

The resizing thing def does some funky stuff with the things at the bottom of the pages. try/images/friends/pages/9.html and just drag the right window border to the left until things start to bunch together at the bottom and you'll probably see what I mean.

With the border thing I was referring to the fact that you get the little box around the round buttons that lets you know it's a link, maybe you wanted it that way, but I preferred the way it was in your previous site (no box) the way to get rid of it is to add border-size:0 to the IMG element in the #nav DIV in your stylesheet (I think. It's definitely the border attribute in the IMG tag that needs to be set to 0 but I'm not sure if the syntax I gave was right for stylesheets. The old fashioned way was just to add border=0 to the IMG tag)