Quantcast

Totally Awesomo Weekend

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I'm not super concerned about the service thing to be honest. I can do all the work myself and generally warranty stuff can be handled directly with a company if they're decent and understand that you might not be located near a dealer (i.e. so they send you the stuff directly). Maybe Norco isn't that way. I'll find out beforehand, regardless.

For the fork swap, I meant have the shop remove the fork, credit me with some amount of money, and order a new fork that they then install. I of course could just remove it myself, ebay it, and buy a new fork but it saves me the ebay step and they make money by probably selling me the new fork for more than I could get it online. Doesnt matter really in the end.

I'm sure I won't be any closer to deciding what bike to buy for a few months so I really should just step away from the bike websites and go ride/sleep more. ;)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
True, very true.

Ebaying the fork IMO might be easier. Because the shop might not give you as much as you think. And a brand new 888 VF or whatever it is will go for a good amount of money brand new too.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah the new 888RC2X is $1200 retail. The VF2 is $900. And the 05 VF (06 VF OEM) is like, $500 new on eBay. The problem of course is even if I get $500 for 888VF off the BigHit3 and pay another $1000 for the 888RC2X the bike will cost me $500 on top of the $2800 (so $3200).

I'm tempted to go with the Kona Stinky, sell the Drop Off Triple for like, $300, and put an 888RC2X on there and call it a day. Might be able to swing that for $2700. Could do the same with the BigHit2 but it comes with Singletracks instead of MTX rims and a crappy rear shock....and is $200 more than the Stinky.

I know you love that BigHit but they're not that great of a deal for the money. :(

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yes the Kona's are sweet. But another thing you have to put into play HBT is all that technical stuff about like the suspension travel path. The Big Hit uses FSR technology, which has be tested true. And in my mind the Big Hit offers a lot. I mean you could always just ride the fork that comes on the bike. Haha. And then when it dies, buy a new one. By that time you will have more money.

The Kona's are nice, but I would def. leave your options open. And try to find bike shops that stock what you are looking for and go test ride them. You might find something that we arent even talking about that you will really like.

I like the buy the bike, beat the crap out of the components, then replace idea. No matter what bike you decide to go with.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Hehe. I have been working too much and riding too little, so all I do is ponder what I should buy. ;)

That VPFree would be perfect (well, maybe a little small in the frame) but I'm looking for too much of a deal and can't swing the coin to buy the whole bike outright.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
True, you could look used and take some parts off your current whip if you had to.

I too am pondering buy a Soul Cycles Hooligan with a Rigid front fork and just building it up over time. Would be a fun build and wouldnt be very expensive.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
hey alec i got a soulution.... you should just buy them all and give me the ones u dont see as fitting u the best.:D

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Haha. Yeah I'll get right on that. ;)

I was thinking about ordering a Spesh Big Hit 2 tonight. Almost started calling around to the local shops to see who could hook me up cheapest. Then I had to drive somewhere and realized I still need to put $1500 of repairs into my car and remembered why I am waiting until next season to buy a big bike. Heh!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha. I would say order it early Janurary or Feb. So then it has time to get here and riding season will be around.