Quantcast

Totally clutch, or why I give a **** about 10 speed now

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The last sram cassette I ordered, I sold within a week because it didn't fit onto my hub (a really off brand that no one has heard of.....hadley something). It wasn't a high end expensive cassette though.

When it comes to cassettes I'm a shimano guy for life. Exact opposite for chains :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I use shimano chains with SRAM quick links. Always had bad luck with SRAM chains and cassettes. I never bent a rear cog until I did it more than once with SRAM 9 spd cassettes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL...

I'm on a SRAM 990 red flavor cassette and whatever their topend chain is...been pretty good, but I suppose so did my shimano before i realized the beauty of the quick link.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Shimano Derailleur, cassette -- SRAM or KMC chain with **KMC** links; SRAM links are prone to abandoning ship mid trail.

Demo 9 has an astounding ability to notice and FIND his missing links.

I just use KMC and bought some ML pliers. BOOM.

Feb 14, 2011
I put the 10 speed X9 clutch derailleur on my 2011 Demo 8. It works well apart from requiring higher pressure than before to change to a bigger gear.

A friend asked me if I'd bought a new cassette and shifter and said no as it was already 10 speed. He counted them and said nope only 9 there, I'd just assumed a fairly new £4k bike would be 10 speed :rolleyes:. So there you go, no mods and working on my 9 speed bike fine. Must be magic.

John

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Shimano Derailleur, cassette -- SRAM or KMC chain with **KMC** links; SRAM links are prone to abandoning ship mid trail.

I just use KMC and bought some ML pliers. BOOM.
Same. well, almost. After destroying three SRAM 990 chains in less than a month, I went back to 950 chains or whatever. But now that I'm on 10sp, I decided to give KMC chains a try, and I've been happy with them so far (since August). i got the "anti-stretch" chain with the mushrooming pins... seems pretty robust.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My problem with sram has always been the stupid pieceof**** nylon bushings that the limit screws go into. They come out or wear and the limit screw pops out and the derailleur ends up in the spokes. This happened to at least 10 derailleurs at our lbc. Ranging from x5 to xo. I ruined a $200 derailleur due to a half cent screw that was put in with a quarter cent piece of nylon? I haven't used one since I built my 2010 Remedy with a 105 short cage. Does Sram still use those stupid plastic things?

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Very loyal SRAM fan for the past 8 years ish, just switched back to the big S on my trail bike. Very happy so far, actually on a recent ride my buddy tim dubbed the cluth 'the party switch', i think i'll hold on to that.

Saint Shortcage Clutch Here
XTR Shifter
KMC Ti chain (shimano chains blow)

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I have run one on my DH bike since the SRAM one first came out! loved it. it made my bike go from quiet to silent. Just ordered one for my trail bike this morning. I want to play around with taking the lower roller guide of from my 2X10 setup. The gamut roller has done a great job with keeping the chain on but its so noisy. I cant stand noisy bikes so im trying to see if the clutch will keep that chain on the ring like it says it will.

anybody else try and run a 2x10 using a clutch derailleur without a roller? I ride my trail bike very aggressively.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Woo-

The thing that impressed me most about this article was your ability to consistently spell "Derailleur" correctly.

The rest was pretty good too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
anybody else try and run a 2x10 using a clutch derailleur without a roller? I ride my trail bike very aggressively.
I run a 1x10 with the e.13 xcx (top guide only)...Last weekend i took the guide off to see how it would work with only the clutch, lost a chain once, not sure if it was just a fluke or will occur continually...going to give it another shot.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I run a 1x10 with the e.13 xcx (top guide only)...Last weekend i took the guide off to see how it would work with only the clutch, lost a chain once, not sure if it was just a fluke or will occur continually...going to give it another shot.
That's my plan. Go 1x10 with the E13 xcx. I'm just waiting till I move away from the land of long climbs

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
as mentioned earlier i run the same setup (removed my xcx after a while) and haven't lost a chain yet. i know my AZ desert rox aren't east coast level but it's working out well so far...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I've been running an XTR clutch and it's been the best derailleur I've ever used - as previously mentioned, so quiet I can hear myself fart while I'm riding.

Paired up with a XCX (bb cup mounted) for the time being, which has been dropping a chain (even paired with the clutch), but I think it's more of a function of a worn chain, worn chain ring, and flexy back plate. Have a new chain, chain ring, and XCX (downtube mounted) heading my way, and I think that will address my issue.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wonder, to those of you going 1x10, have you considered how it affects your pedaling? I love having a front derailleur because as much as I can lower my gears, I can also increase the amount of pedal feedback/tactical antisquat percentage/"bite" when the chainring is now below or well below the pivot. Some bikes do this really well, my trek fuel was one of them, my current bike has slightly less of a dramatic effect (I think the pivot must be a bit higher than the trek). Just wondering if folks notice that, or not.

I think I could get away with the range of a 1x10, but being able to increase traction for steep climbs is almost as effective a tool as a smaller gear.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
You become really good a climbing standing. A lot of friends are surprised at how well you can meter out the power even standing up. Only issue is that, unlike in a seated position, once you slip it is very difficult to recover from that. And, standing climbing helps you be more powerful pushing had while standing downhill.

Having said all that, friends with a 2x10 can still go up steeper hills than I can.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've found that 1x10 helps my climbing, especially in steep technical climbs over loose surfaces (roots and rocks of the North East). I found that having those lower gears allowed me to spin more, and more often than not, I would spin out from too much torque while riding too slowly. Having less lower gears forces me to attack the tech climbs faster, and I slip out less.

Where it really hurts is the grinder gravel climbs. It kicks my ass, but I think I've come out stronger as a result. And I'll frequently shift from standing to seated to work different muscle groups.

FWIW, I'm on a Mojo HD, 32 front ring, 11-36 cassette, Zee short-cage derailleur now. Before I changed to 1x10, my granny ring was a 26t, and I had an 11-34 cassette. The difference between the 32-36 combo and the 26-34 combo isn't as big as you might think.

That said, I'm still the slowest climber in my group of friends. I can make more tech climbs than the majority of them, but more slowly :D. I'm not bothered by how fast I can climb.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What are people using for 10sp joiner links on Shimano chains? Will all of them fit?

I've had bad experiences (links falling off during runs) with both SRAM and KMC joiner links on Shimano chains, so have used Wippermann exclusively for the last few years (their chains suck but the joiners are great).

I couldn't find them on CRC this time so grabbed a Clarks 10sp one, not sure what to expect though.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
What are people using for 10sp joiner links on Shimano chains? Will all of them fit?
I don't know about Shimano, but I've had excellent luck with the Wipperman Connex links on SRAM chains. I had the SRAM links give out on me too many times, and since the 10sp SRAM quick links aren't supposed to be re-used, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My new bike will definitely have a clutch derailleur. Likely shimano. The shifters will take some getting used to.

Fast dudes I know swear by them. Now I must have one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My knees now and always will need a granny ring. I don't know what would be the equivalent of a 24 front/30 tooth rear combo, but I've never heard anyone in the single ring department brag on how well they crawl up Pisgah singletrack on a cold day when you're exhausted, loopy and wobbly after 4 hours in the saddle.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
My knees now and always will need a granny ring. I don't know what would be the equivalent of a 24 front/30 tooth rear combo, but I've never heard anyone in the single ring department brag on how well they crawl up Pisgah singletrack on a cold day when you're exhausted, loopy and wobbly after 4 hours in the saddle.
24/30 = 0.80. I have a similar stance- would love to ditch the front shifting, but I like my current 0.65 lowest gear (22/34) for climbing steep stuff. A lighter trail bike might help, but there's a number of climbs that are just plain steep and long that I ride.

29T front, 36T largest rear cog would be equivalent to 24f/30r combo.

Or, if the 11 speed thing grows, it would be 34T front, 42T largest rear cog.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

I've had bad experiences (links falling off during runs) with both SRAM and KMC joiner links on Shimano chains, so have used Wippermann exclusively for the last few years (their chains suck but the joiners are great).
Weird. I've been using SRAM and KMC 10spd quick links on Shimano 10 spd chains for almost 2 years on a couple different bikes and have not had that happen once. I don't if it's supposed to work (i.e., exact same spacing, etc.), but it works for me.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Where it really hurts is the grinder gravel climbs. It kicks my ass, but I think I've come out stronger as a result. And I'll frequently shift from standing to seated to work different muscle groups.
That said, I'm still the slowest climber in my group of friends. I can make more tech climbs than the majority of them, but more slowly :D. I'm not bothered by how fast I can climb.
I 2nd everything you said, but I'm on a 34t chainring, which really seems to accentuate how long I've been away from my bike. :rant:

But I don't ever see myself going back to a front derailleur. Been contemplating kicking my road bike's front derailleur to the curb as well.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeesh are you people still talking about this?

Just keep these points in mind

1. If you don't buy a clutch derailleur in the next 10 months, I'm giving you the nickname karpiel. Because you are stuck in the bar humping moar travel is better, gotta wear my moto bootz cuz downhilling is scary stone age.

2. Lance laywerstrong may have done some really stupid things but he always had low gearing to counteract his coked up heartrate of 100000+bpm. Regardless of what was in his arteries, this made him superior to many europeans with funny haircuts and pants just as tight off the bike. Low gears serve a purpose. Like everything american, they're a great way to flip off europe and say 'dammit, my back hurts! I've got a better way!'

Last edited:

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Jeesh are you people still talking about this?

Just keep these points in mind

1. If you don't buy a clutch derailleur in the next 10 months, I'm giving you the nickname karpiel. Because you are stuck in the bar humping moar travel is better, gotta wear my moto bootz cuz downhilling is scary stone age.

2. Lance laywerstrong may have done some really stupid things but he always had low gearing to counteract his coked up heartrate of 100000+bpm. Regardless of what was in his arteries, this made him superior to many europeans with funny haircuts and pants just as tight off the bike. Low gears serve a purpose. Like everything american, they're a great way to flip off europe and say 'dammit, my back hurts! I've got a better way!'
Best I read all week!! Thank you!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So, since I haven't bothered to read up on it in full, let me see if I understand completely.

1. Clutch derailleurs are only available on 10 speed rear cassettes?
2. Cutch derailleurs are only being used on single front chainring applications?
3. Does a clutch derailleur require a special shifter?
4. Why wouldn't I be able to slap a clutch derailleur on my 9speed cassette?

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ 1. Clutch is 10sp only. But Ive made it work (although not a 100%) with a 9sp cassette, shifter and chain.
2. Clutch rd's can be used for multi front rings.
3. Reg 10sp shifter works.
4. You CAN, though from exp. its not 100% compatible.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So, since I haven't bothered to read up on it in full, let me see if I understand completely.
boylagz is just messing with you

1. Clutch derailleurs are actually an entirely new system with an entirely new chain configuration. The derailleurs themselves act as centripetal clutches so ideas like "10 speeds" aren't even really relevant anymore

2. Correct. They won't work with multi-ring cranks

3. Definitely a different shifter. They're hydraulic.

4. You have a funny accent