Quantcast

Totaly New To Mountian Biking

mshrider

Chimp
Feb 24, 2006
I've been riding BMX for a while now, and would like to get into Mountian Biking. I'd pretty much be using the bike for street, and dirt jumping exclusivly. I used to ride dirt bikes so i do have some experience with preload. I'm not sure if you can preload a jump on a mountian bike or not. Anyways. I'm looking for a bike thats 1. cheap, 2. strong, and 3.I'd like to get a single speed, because i have no clue how to set up gears. I'd like to have the same feel as a bmx, since thats what i know, but im not sure that that is possibal with a mountian bike. I'd love a full suspension bike, however i relize that that is probably out of my price range. Can ya'll suggest a good bike?

mshrider

Chimp
Feb 24, 2006
"Specialized p1 A1 aluminum Long frame. Single speed, but can be converted to geared easily(I'll include a Deore 8spd derailer and shifter), sorry no cassette. Hayes mech rear disc brake(w/6" rotor), Avid mech disc on front(w/8" rotor). Marzocchi MZ comp fork, Specialized hubs, Sun "Ditch Witch" rims, Truvativ Holzfeller cranks/bb. I have it set up for street/urban with Maxxis "Hookworm" tires 2.5" and I've got the stock Spec. knobbies with it also. Ridden less than 6 months, mostly commuting. Some scratches on frame/fork but no dents or cracks. Great for street/dirt jumping. Maintained at the bike shop I work at here in Chico. Sorry no pictures, but you can come by the shop and see it anytime. Asking $400. Maybe trade? "

Is that a good deal? Also could i upgrade this bike in the future, AKA stronger wheels, Moto style triple clamp fork, Hydrolic brakes, ect.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Hey Welcome to the Monkey!
I am an ol'school BMXer from back in the day,
I have been racing MTB's since the early 90's I have ridden them all, lightweight hardtails, exotic Full suspension bikes etc... I have found the most enjoyment on a Singlespeed it reminds me the most of my Ol BMX days I have a Surly Karate Monkey and this on Order.....

This bike has a larger wheel (29") but man 29ers' really rock I have been on my surly for 2 years and I love it! If you click on "see the flying munkee" below this post you can see my Hucking my Munkee.

and here is the Redline Website
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog-29er.html

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If you are going to use it for street and dj you won't want a full suspension bike, and you'll only want a single crown fork with like 80mm of travel. Azonic steelhead is pretty much a standard cheap decent bike, there are usually some on ebay whole or just a frame. This new one from gt actually looks pretty good though and its pretty cheap http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=2044&country=usa&brand=moun

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I got a 05 azonic steelhead.....painted red, $75 bucks. Its a strong steel frame easily setup for single speed, or gears, and can accept up to a 7 inch DUAL CROWN fork..but the geometry lets it run down to a 3 inch fork.

Jan 29, 2005
i would not recomend a steelhead since:
1. they are frame only, and since you are new to MTB you may not know what parts to buy or how to install them
2. They are bad frames.

I'd recomend in no particular order:
Specialized p1
Giant STP SS
Cannondale Chase 4

I would not recomend a full suspension bike because:
1. They will not feel like a bmx
2. They are useless for dirt/street/park, you are much better off rigid or hardtail.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i've never been on one, but they are certainly cheap. I do really enjoy my stp though. I would get a adjustable travel fork that can be slammed way down for jibby small stuff, medium for jumping, and long for urban huckage. that will be my next upgrade. The marz eta is pretty trick, but people seem to like pikes and the shermans (flick not +) for this sort of thing more. a couple pounds lighter i guess.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
ok..so disregard any talk about a steelhead being a bad frame, as a long time rider of one in the past, i have done very large gaps, and some pretty damn big drops on my steelhead and it held up just fine. I was even running a Marzocchi Jr T on it for a while hitting the big stuff. My big ass crash last may i was running my steelhead, and it dropped about 25 feet out of the air by itself to flat ground and nothing happened to the frame....its a good, cheap, strong frame for learning. You dont need to go out and spend a bajillion dollars on a hardtail frame to get a good one.