Quantcast

Totem & 09 SX Trail

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
Just got a Totem for my 09 SX Trail. I also bought a FSA z 1.5 internal reducer headset. The question I have is, the crown race seems to be bigger than the seat on the crown of the fork. Is this normal? Or is this a problem? Don't want to mount the crown race until I know for sure. Another question I had was concerning the tiny rubber ring for the bottom of the headset (as I am only using the bottom) Is that suppose to get sandwiched between the race and cup? Thanks for any insight anyone might have.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Do you mean the inner diameter or outter diameter of the crwon race is larger? It should be at least snug on the steertube..most are a 'not so difficult' press-fit. There are also some split crown rings, that usually just slide on, the bearing taper pincens them onto the steerer much like the compression ring on the top.

As for the big o-ring..it goes on the outside of the headset once it is all assembled. Put it up on the headtube before installing the fork, then roll it down on/into the crack between the crown race and lower cup after you install the fork.

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
Do you mean the inner diameter or outter diameter of the crwon race is larger? It should be at least snug on the steertube..most are a 'not so difficult' press-fit. There are also some split crown rings, that usually just slide on, the bearing taper pincens them onto the steerer much like the compression ring on the top.

As for the big o-ring..it goes on the outside of the headset once it is all assembled. Put it up on the headtube before installing the fork, then roll it down on/into the crack between the crown race and lower cup after you install the fork.

The outter diameter is larger. The inner is fine a small beating with my "crown race tool" and it will be fine. Just never seen a crown race larger than the seat. Weird. Figure that is a new thing with tapered and oversize headtubes.