Quantcast

Totem 2-Step slightly stuck down

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I have a 2010 2-step that, against all odds, only has one problem. It's travel is slightly stuck down about 1.5cms. I'm guessing this since there is only about 1.2cms of exposed stanchion below the 20% sag mark on the stanchions.

Could someone help me understand the sorcery going on inside the fork? Here are a few clues.

I had this problem before, I had the bike serviced at a shop that has experience on most platforms but all they did was change the oil, they told me the seals were still okay. After that I had 180mm again.

After about a week or two of riding, I noticed it was stuck down again (but the fork was functioning great!). I want to narrow this down to the closest possible culprits as the fork is actually working really well and I don't want to muck it up again, which, it seems, is really easy to do.

What I do not want to do is send it back to the dealer and have it warrantied. It always seems to come back with some kind of problem...after a few months of waiting.

The shop I send the fork to for service is fairly knowledgeable but I doubt they are very familiar with the 2 step platform as it's kinda rare here. I'm sure they just follow the manual and would probably not be able to see what's causing this problem.

My guess is that the oil level in the two step cartridge is incorrect. I heard somewhere that it is extremely sensitive to oil height.

Would really appreciate your thoughts!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
most 2 steps need about 3 minutes of service occasionally and then work flawlessly as 2steps.

sram.com has complete insturctions for all forks and components etc. really really easy to do. jsut need to top off the oil level in the 2step cart

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I would love to warranty mine for a solo air but it's just not going to happen with races starting a week away and the likely 3 months I'll have to wait to get it back.

I think 3 minutes is a very optimistic time frame. The problem is I live in a dorm and I don't really have the tools or the work area to do it myself. I would love to but it's just not that practical. Do I really have to take this for apart every 2 weeks to have it working as intended?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
you (probably if it was working correctly a few days ago) just need to top-off the oil level in the left leg. the 2steps sink into travel because a tiny bit of oil has weeped out, or absorbed in to the seals and the level in the leg is a tiny bit low.

its been a year and a half since i left the bike shop, so the below might be only 95% accurate, so for sure either you or the shop should read the step-by-step on sram.com, but you do not need to do the full drop the lowers,check seals, etc.

1. de-pressure air spring, open the top of left leg w/ a 24mm (?) socket wrench
2. pop the 2step cart out. its a small buddy on the top of the air spring the smaller than a roll of quarters.
3. 2step cart has 3 components. dissassemble, clean, reassemble to spec
3. fill the leg (not the air spring) with oil
4. re-insert cart into airspring, and towel up excess fork oil seepage
5. re-install cap

go ride.