Quantcast

totem question

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm building up an SX trail (edit: 2010), and I don't have a lot to spend on a fork, which limits me to an older 36 van-160mm, or a totem. Not interested in going with marzocchi on this one.

So I'm looking at a totem coil fork- an '09 which has hardly been ridden. My question is: what, if anything, has changed about the damper? It appears that the '09 was a "mission control" damper, and that the new one is called "mission control DH"... While the DH in the name sounds appealing, I'm wondering if it's actually more down-hill-ey, or better in some way. Could someone who has had both could shed some light on this for me?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
mission control DH does not have a bump threshold that must be overcome to initiate suspension motion. mission control, on the other hand, does.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
ok, thanks- I have seen some that have modified their dampers, would it be to remove that bump threshold somehow?

I'm not super picky, as long as the older version performs fine, I don't need to have the latest and greatest.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
take into consideration specialized might still limit fork travel on sx trails like they did in 06 at 170mm and a totem is 180mm so unless you lower it they may void warranty for running a taller fork. also snapped an sx trail at the head tube with a totem on it, but it was from casing a jump so probably wouldve happened on a smaller fork anyway

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Mission Control DH does not have floodgate at all but also has a lot more oil volume and oil flow during suspension action. I have ridden original mission control, modded mission control where floodgate was removed (highly recommend if running older style) and the new DH. DH is better for everything except if you want a floodgate engaged on a 180mm fork but the older style modded without floodgate feels pretty good too. Prices being similar, I would go with the DH but would not overlook the older setup.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
take into consideration specialized might still limit fork travel on sx trails like they did in 06 at 170mm and a totem is 180mm so unless you lower it they may void warranty for running a taller fork. also snapped an sx trail at the head tube with a totem on it, but it was from casing a jump so probably wouldve happened on a smaller fork anyway
Good point, I will check into it before I buy one. What year was yours? I thought, maybe incorrectly, that the '09-current frames were the same with a different shock. Anyone know if the 09,'10 frames are "allowed" with a 180 fork?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Mission Control DH does not have floodgate at all but also has a lot more oil volume and oil flow during suspension action. I have ridden original mission control, modded mission control where floodgate was removed (highly recommend if running older style) and the new DH. DH is better for everything except if you want a floodgate engaged on a 180mm fork but the older style modded without floodgate feels pretty good too. Prices being similar, I would go with the DH but would not overlook the older setup.
Great input, thanks for replying! I'm thinking I can get an older version quite a bit cheaper, so I'll probably go with that. But if I can afford a mission dh, I'll go for it!