Quantcast

touch screen lcds?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Does anyone use them? Seems like they're a bit expensive. Is there a 'cheap' and decent model out there?

Also, I have standard tiny speakers wired throughout my house. Is there a cheap way to get music out of my PC onto standard spearker wiring?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Also, I have standard tiny speakers wired throughout my house. Is there a cheap way to get music out of my PC onto standard spearker wiring?
You're going to need an amp no matter what you do, because the tiny speakers aren't powered.

If you're feeling like experimenting, you can try one of these:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6cd8/

The T-amp has been getting rave reviews from many audio sites.

Sorry, no feedback on the touch screens - I don't use 'em.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Also, I assume it's a standard 3.5mm plug audio wire that connects from the PC to the T-amp, yeah?

I mean, if that works nearly as well as it claims, wow, what a solution for $30!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
If you watch ebay for a touchscreen they aren't too expensive. If you have the room for a crt touch that would the cheapest by far.

I picked up a used 15" ELO lcd touchscreen on the bay that was part of a podium installation at one point. The cables had been cut and it was a bezel mount which worked fine for my project and was good as new for a few bucks worth of connectors.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
go for the super t amp unless you have a battery tree growing in your front yard.
:rofl:

High mAh rechargables should work fine, and I think there's an AC adapter for both the big and the small ones.

Yes, Opie, it's a standard 3.5mm jack and standard speaker wire for ins and outs.

I keep toying with the idea of buying one but my wires are all nicely tucked away in the walls and hooked up to my regular amp... and I don't have spare speakers. So, it'd be a bit of a pain to fiddle with. One of these days.

Ideally, you'll get the best performance out of the T-amp if you have really high efficiency speakers, but as long as you don't need to crank them up really high even lower efficiency speakers should work fine.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Allen Bradley makes a few versaview touch screen monitors, some have integrated cpu's. I've only worked with the LCD monitors which retail at $10k+ but I'd think you might find some older ones kicking around for less. In the industrial world AB is about the best you can get and probably more than you really need.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I ordered the T-Amp, should be here by the end of the week. I'll post a little review from the point of view of an idiot :)

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Last year while at SigGraph there was a booth with some really intuitive touch screens. They were more like full on tv's rather than monitors, but the possibilities were pretty endless. Take the abilities of the iphone's stretch, select, and transform and magnify them significantly.

Not alot of help for your question, but technology these days, phew, I'm glad I'm still young.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I know it's a small, inexpensive device, but it's good enough to deserve a 'review'.

It rocks!

It's small and hides easily. It's powerful with very clean sound. A cheap solution. Also, because it uses batteries (or an AC adapter*), you can take it with you.

* not included. It says 12 volt adapter. I have one that's switchable between 100ma or 300ma. Any idea which?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So I know it's a small, inexpensive device, but it's good enough to deserve a 'review'.

It rocks!

It's small and hides easily. It's powerful with very clean sound. A cheap solution. Also, because it uses batteries (or an AC adapter*), you can take it with you.

* not included. It says 12 volt adapter. I have one that's switchable between 100ma or 300ma. Any idea which?
I've been doing a little research on the T-amp for a project I'm working on and it looks like you'll get the best sound with a powersupply that can put out 1000ma or more, a lot of guys are using 12v lead acid batteries to power these little amps. I guess AC adapters can produce a little bit of RF noise that affects the sound quality. For the causal listener I'm not sure if you'd hear any difference, the guys who are adding 12v car batteries and such are trying to get a $30 amp to sound like a $3000 amp.

Out of curiosity, how loud can you play your speakers really, 6 watts per channel just doesn't seem like enough? Would the T-amp be loud enough to play music at a party, how about in your garage with a couple of tools running?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Last night, I had it playing in our livingroom over four tiny Bose speakers at about 1/3 maximum and it was loud enough.

I'll test the volume at maximum level while still being clean enough when I get home.

Right now, I'm using AA batteries, but would prefer using an adapter at some point.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So, the audio stays clean at loud levels on my tiny Bose speakers. But there are huge outdoor speakers that simply don't get enough power. The bedroom speakers are acceptable.

Yes, I'm trying to power 8 sets of speakers with one T-Amp.

Also, I'm not sure if the internal house wiring system is creating a drain, but the batteries died overnight. I plugged in an adapter and that works fine.

I guess if I want the patio speakers to get more than a trickle, I'll have to get another one, split the source to two T-Amps.

I should probably get a receiver/amp/theater box so I can manage it better and get more power.

However, that little T-Amp kicks ass.