Quantcast

Toughest pedals?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
3,526
115
San Francisco
I noticed some play today in my cannondale pedals. I was looking now for the absolute toughest pedals, ones that can hold up all season to hucking, racing, jumping, etc., if such a pedal exsist. Weight and money are no object...
________
SHEMALE LATIN
 
Last edited:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
Most of the pedals I have ridden developed some play over time. If you like the pedals, pick up some replacement bearings...
 

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,638
4
SF, CA
gemini2k said:
Weight and money are no object...
How about grip? Mud shedding? Concavity? Profile (how close your foot is to the axle)?

Just get a pair of wellgo mags for $30. Replace as necessary (which shouldn't be very often).
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
The toughest pedals out there are the stainless steal Syncros or the NEW titanium Syncros. They have crazy grip and shed mud due to the structure. You will not find a more reliable pedal. They are spendy and a little heavy.
 

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
1,189
0
yes true but remmember dot slip and wear knee gards at all time riding wiht syncros. I got the new 5050xx and if you get them they should last plenty wiht replacable plates and if you work at a bike shop replace the pins and they will grip the shizite out of anything
 

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
7,329
1
Over there somewhere.
Adam Novatt said:
yes true but remmember dot slip and wear knee gards at all time riding wiht syncros. I got the new 5050xx and if you get them they should last plenty wiht replacable plates and if you work at a bike shop replace the pins and they will grip the shizite out of anything
Just a "slight" error in your logic there.

Plates don't effect play at where the spindle goes into the pedal body.
 

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
1,101
12
lolAsia
I'm not a fan of the shinburger...found it to be not very grippy in the wet/mud.
I ride Wellgo B77s on my non-clipless bikes, and replaced the pins with longer phillips-head style pins. Grippy, strong, rebuildable, and water/mud has no effect on your traction.
 

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
3,002
71
Boise, Idaho
def glory holes by nycfreeride. last year i was blowing up pedals left and right (truvativ, easton, wellgo) on my street bike and my glory holes have rocked out without one problem
 

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
1,167
0
CT
The syncros are awsome. The only downfall is weight and price. They have more grip than anything else I have tried. Your foot does not come in contact with any platform because of the skeleton like design. It inly touches the pins. :thumb:
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
Atom labs are tough. If you have a problem, they are hard to get parts and Atom Labs customer service isn't the best.
 

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
2,437
0
azonic pedals... A-Frame Pedal check them out at www.azonicusa.com, my fr4iend and i have been using them all year, and my friend for the last 2.5 years not a problem at all and they are cheaper than some other pedals out there at 90 bucks, but if you want i think it is possible to get them for 60 at some unline bike retailers
 

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
757
0
Down in the G-Spot
I run A-Frame's on both my bikes. They kick ass. The new Crank Brothers 5050's are supposedly strong as piss, and the other pedal I can think of that can take a killer beating are the Syncros Mental Steel pedals.
 

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
411
0
Bay Area
I've had great luck with Azonic A-Frames. They are not the lightest but they are totally bombproof. I have two pairs for sale if you are interested. One pair in great shape for used and a second pair that is barely broken in. I have a pair that I have used for a couple of years that has never gotten any place in them and I am big guy.
 

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
44
0
Last Place!
WKC said:
The new Crank Brothers 5050's are supposedly strong as piss.
I got a pair of the 5050's and they come with short pins, and not enough of them, only nine per side, leaving any extra nine empty holes on each side. You have to pay $10 for a set of the longer pins, which aren't available to order until the 15th. Good thing is the platforms are big and they feel solid, downside is you have to spend extra cash to get your feet to stay on them.

For now I put my Sun ZuZu pedals back on, the ZuZu's are the best pedal for your money. You can get them for less than $30 and when they are abused just buy another pair.
 

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
260
0
Baltimore
If strength is what you are looking for and money is no object check out the Burgtec Pedals they are made by World Cup racers in Britian are super strong, shed mud very well and have alot of grip check out there site at www.burgtec.co.uk let me know what you think and if you are interested.
 

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
757
0
Down in the G-Spot
Crazy Dan said:
I got a pair of the 5050's and they come with short pins, and not enough of them, only nine per side, leaving any extra nine empty holes on each side. You have to pay $10 for a set of the longer pins, which aren't available to order until the 15th. Good thing is the platforms are big and they feel solid, downside is you have to spend extra cash to get your feet to stay on them.

For now I put my Sun ZuZu pedals back on, the ZuZu's are the best pedal for your money. You can get them for less than $30 and when they are abused just buy another pair.
Don't the 5050XX's come with a bag of longer replacement pins? One of the guys that I ride with ordered a pair and his came with a bag of Long Pins.
 

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
4,587
0
North Carolina
WKC said:
Don't the 5050XX's come with a bag of longer replacement pins? One of the guys that I ride with ordered a pair and his came with a bag of Long Pins.
those are the nicest ones, which do come with extra pins.