Quantcast

Tour de France!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It's getting close to that time of year! Who is your favorite and why? I'm really rooting for Cadel this year. I think he could have won the race last year if it wasn't for the broken elbow. He was sitting in a much better position than the other GC guys when he snagged the yellow jersey (up around 2min on Contador). I would like to see him win a grand Tour. Personally I don't care for Andy. I would rather see someone else like VdB challenge Contador.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Totally agree but Contador was scary in the Giro. I will be in Denmark big part of the race with uber coverage compared to the US and in the same time zone. Andy and his riding pissed me off last year where as Cadel is fun to watch.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
It's getting close to that time of year! Who is your favorite and why? I'm really rooting for Cadel this year. I think he could have won the race last year if it wasn't for the broken elbow. He was sitting in a much better position than the other GC guys when he snagged the yellow jersey (up around 2min on Contador). I would like to see him win a grand Tour. Personally I don't care for Andy. I would rather see someone else like VdB challenge Contador.
Probably this tour is going to be Contador putting in 1 attack to gap everyone and then playing a lot of defence. But I want to see the Schleck boys teaming up on Contador and wearing him out for once... and I'd love to see Horner sit on and hang like he says he can. Maybe even grab a podium?

This is going to be a pretty boring tour with the exception of the mountain stages IMO.

And for the real game:
Which nation will get the award for the most riders busted for doping? My money is on Italy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hate to say it but I'm having a hard time caring this year. Contador is an impressive rider but I've never felt any passion or excitement from the guy. And the fact that pretty much always wins really takes away from the race. Props to him but still, not so fun to watch.

But it will be interesting to see how the Shack dynamic plays out. I would love to see Horner get the leader's role and grab a podium spot.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I hate to say it but I'm having a hard time caring this year. Contador is an impressive rider but I've never felt any passion or excitement from the guy. And the fact that pretty much always wins really takes away from the race. Props to him but still, not so fun to watch.

But it will be interesting to see how the Shack dynamic plays out. I would love to see Horner get the leader's role and grab a podium spot.
Andy would have won last year without TTs. Guess what... no TTs this year.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
These stages have the following profiles:

10 flat stages,
6 mountain stages and 4 summit finishes,
3 medium mountain stages,
1 individual time-trial stage (42.5 km).
1 team time-trial stage (23 km).

Did I miss where they changed the route?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
One ITT and one TTT. I didn't know this until recently, but Contador was sick coming into the Tour last year and suffered with his form....and he still won. I doubt Andy can beat a healthy Contador and I agree that he was scary in the Giro. Wiggo is out there saying he is back to form and ready to challenge...we shall see...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
i hope everyone gets busted for doping
You are thinking something along the 2007 tour winner:

PARIS—A small but enthusiastic crowd of several dozen was on hand at the Tour de France's finish line on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées Tuesday to applaud the efforts of the 28 cyclists who completed the grueling 20-stage, 2,208.3-mile race without the aid of performance-enhancing drugs.

Finland's Piet Kvistik, a domestique with the Crédit Mondial team, was this year's highest-finishing non-doping rider (142nd overall). Kvistik claimed the maillot propre, the blue jersey worn by the highest-placed "clean" rider, on the ninth stage of the race when the six riders who had previously worn it tested positive for EPO, elevated levels of testosterone, and blood-packing.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/nondoping-cyclists-finish-tour-de-france,2268/

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I'm going to be there in person from the 12th to the 24th... I'll try to look out for the 10 pros whose names I actually know :p

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
But I want to see the Schleck boys teaming up on Contador and wearing him out for once
well they've failed miserably once this year attempting to team up against someone.

Horner stating that Contador is/was the only one in the world capable of dropping him will come back to bite him in the ass, me thinks.

I don't care for Contador, but watching him attack on climbs is unreal.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I don't care for Contador, but watching him attack on climbs is unreal.
Much like Pantani...but he's not a doper :) Honestly, I just want to see a close race with good action. Even if Contador seas the overall early on, I hope for a good race in the points competitions. Maybe another year for Thor to go on a long solo break away to grab points? Oh wait...they changed the point distribution... :(

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
These stages have the following profiles:

10 flat stages,
6 mountain stages and 4 summit finishes,
3 medium mountain stages,
1 individual time-trial stage (42.5 km).
1 team time-trial stage (23 km).

Did I miss where they changed the route?
My bad, I was misinformed. I had heard that there were not TTs in this years edition. I'll still stick by what I said though I think Contadors advantage in the TTs will be mostly nullified. Shack, Leopard and Saxo are on pretty even ground here... Saxo maybe being the weakest of the three. As for the ITT... it's not very flat so maybe the advantage wont be huge for the TT guys.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
You are thinking something along the 2007 tour winner
"This is a very, very proud day for me," said the 115-pound Kvistik, who lost 45% of his body mass during the event, toppled from his saddle moments after finishing, and had to be administered oxygen, fed intravenously, and injected with adrenaline by attending medical personnel.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Watched the VS TDF preview yesterday. They are really pumping up Andy vs Contador, and the whole chain drop thing from 2010.

I had nearly forgotten about that, but Andy and the rest of the field apparently have not. I don't think anyone would wait for Alberto outside of his own team if he ever has a mechanical.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
What do you guys mean by "the 28 riders who didn't dope"? I know nothing about road cycling but do enjoy watching it every now and then of it's on TV, just watching the highlights of day one now.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
What do you guys mean by "the 28 riders who didn't dope"? I know nothing about road cycling but do enjoy watching it every now and then of it's on TV, just watching the highlights of day one now.
That was an article from The Onion, a satirical news organization.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Gilbert played his hand well today. I thought Cancellara might have it in the bag....for a second. Good for Cadel. I honestly think he can win the Tour.

Gilbert played his hand well today. I thought Cancellara might have it in the bag....for a second. Good for Cadel. I honestly think he can win the Tour.
Cadel is the most naturally gifted rider in the pro peloton, but his lack of embrace for the pharmaceutical side of things makes his results inconsistent compared to the other bigtime stage racers.

Props to him for it, but his performance shows the consequence...you know...following natural fitness peaks and all.

After my first "real" season of bike racing I understand why blood doping is so popular. Sucks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cadel is the most naturally gifted rider in the pro peloton, but his lack of embrace for the pharmaceutical side of things makes his results inconsistent compared to the other bigtime stage racers.

Props to him for it, but his performance shows the consequence...you know...following natural fitness peaks and all.

After my first "real" season of bike racing I understand why blood doping is so popular. Sucks.

The only pharmaceuticals Cadel needs are anti-psychotics. He is truly a talented rider but always falls apart when success is close. I imagine he spends some tortured nights in hotel rooms clutching stuffed animals.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The only pharmaceuticals Cadel needs are anti-psychotics. He is truly a talented rider but always falls apart when success is close. I imagine he spends some tortured nights in hotel rooms clutching stuffed animals.
:stupid:

His mental game has been his handicap. He has been more composed since winning worlds...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Best possible finish for Cadel today. Very close but without the pressure of yellow.
I agree. He won't have to defend the jersey, but is well placed. Garmin will work like dogs to keep Thor in the jersey, which could ruin their chances at a good overall with Ryder or Christian

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree. He won't have to defend the jersey, but is well placed. Garmin will work like dogs to keep Thor in the jersey, which could ruin their chances at a good overall with Ryder or Christian
Ryder and Christian are both almost two minutes behind after getting caught out in yesterdays crashes. You would think CVV would learn to stay in front after having so many tours ruined in crashes.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Well executed by Garmin, and an American on the 4th! Two stage wins in a row for them!