Quantcast

Tour de France!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
"Frankly, we did not expect an attack. It's well played (by Contador), we have to admit that," said Frank, who believes their former team manager Bjarne Riis, who is now with Contador, plotted the strategy.

"Bjarne is behind this. He knows we don't like the bad weather and the descent. Congratulations to them, it's a nice one."

"Riis knows I'm a bit of a bitch in the rain and downhill, and we were surprised that Contador attacked in the rain with a descent coming up."

Is it just me, or is that full retard?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Is it just me, or is that full retard?

:stupid:

What a shock, your former team manager knows your weakness! Cadel rode an impressive race. I'm still shocked to see Voeckler covering attacks. He continues to ride like a contender.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
When the riders are in groups they get the same time after crossing the line but how do they decide what is a gap and thus adding time?

Does that even make sense?!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Cheers, thought so just wanted it confirmed. Getting right into it now but know feck all!

Another one, is there a particular historical reason the jerseys are coloured as they are, yellow/green etc?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting that we have a similar finish tomorrow:

"On a narrow, very twisting back road, this 6.7km climb averages 6.2 percent, but it has a 12-percent section just before a summit that’s only 7km from the line in Pinerolo. The 3km-long, switchback descent averages a vertiginous 15 percent and that’s where the stage can be won and lost."

A short steep climb followed by a sketchy descent. Expect lots of people taking chances. Hope they all keep it upright, we've had enough crashes.

Maybe those guys should ride mountain bikes more for training. :D

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Or- Maybe these guys should stop listening to radios, riding dangerous aero wheels and living in altitude tents and re-focus on racing bikes without all sorts of bull**** technology and outside scientific and technical assistance.
All of this watts/kg madness is eating these guys brains.
For the last 10 years the only interesting racing has been for the green jersey. Imagine! Bike riders who bump into each other and avoid obstacles at high speed! Stick a Schelck or a Contador into an American-Style criterium and watch them smash their bones to bits.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Or- Maybe these guys should stop listening to radios, riding dangerous aero wheels and living in altitude tents and re-focus on racing bikes without all sorts of bull**** technology and outside scientific and technical assistance.
All of this watts/kg madness is eating these guys brains.
For the last 10 years the only interesting racing has been for the green jersey. Imagine! Bike riders who bump into each other and avoid obstacles at high speed! Stick a Schelck or a Contador into an American-Style criterium and watch them smash their bones to bits.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SuspectDevice again."

I generally agree that relatively speaking, the modern peloton is a pack of pansies who can't think for themselves. But on balance I think radios are ok.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been watching the extended coverage for a few stages this year and watched the earlier part of the stages when the break-away forms. I have a new found respect for the riders who are always making the break, looks ****ing painful.

J-Roy is a real head-banger.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
2 radios per team please.
Remember the idea of a team Captain? One of their main jobs was to yell at people, idiots on their own team and idiots on other teams.
What I see more than anything that kills me is a lack of respect in the field these days.

Respect should not be earned via power output or podiums. Respect comes from doing your job, doing it well and doing it 250 days a year. Teamwork needs to happen on the road not from the car. A few instructions are great, that's what a manager does but the idea of orchestrating the entire event from a car looking at powermeter readouts and watching television feeds and using a slide rule to plan it all out is just a buzzkill and isn't healthy for the long term interests of the sport.

I don't see the young riders today developing the same skills and responsibilities as the riders in the generation before them. They grew up watching lame robo-racers trying to shave grams of drag and rider after rider get booted for trying to add 20% to their VoMax with needles.
When racing is more dynamic and less controlled power at threshold matters a little less. Of course the best racing we've ever had was in the pre-1998 era when the dope was silly strong. The tour was chock full of crashes then too- Johan Bruyneel who was a great capitan but medicore finisher won the fastest stage of all time solo on a rolling parcours. He was dirty, but he was also driven and angry.
Gimme a full field of dopers that are riding angry than a mixed bag. It sucks that to compete at the highest levels clean you need to be a big skinny sissy with no personality- but bike racing is really evil without drugs.

Closing a gap because you are getting time checks in your ear is a lot easier than judging a gap for yourself, reading how well the guys in front of you are working together and trying not to burn all of your matches.

It seems like a lot of these prissy sh!ts think that their paychecks entitle them to coddling by race officials... "I have too much on ze line! Djou cannot peenalize me"!

Drugs, hugs, thugs. Gimme all of them!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah yeah, fun rant, but dude, progress happens. Records are made to be broken, heroes get replaced, sports evolve, and time marches on. Think of all the regulations and enforcement that would be needed to artificially keep things in past. Doesn't seem like a lot of fun either.

And come on, it's all a freak show pimping bikes and other crap. The competition is pretty much beside the point. None of it would exist without the advertising dollars, and sponsors and advertisers aren't paying for throwback races and riders dying in the ditches from exploding hearts. You're gonna hurt yourself banging your head against that wall.

Anyway, bike racing, fvck yeah!!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have to say, I'm happy with not having watch Bottle suck this year.

I was riding today, and halfway up the climb, I thought to myself, "I haven't heard the name Leipheimer in almost a week!"

I floated to the top.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have to say, I'm happy with not having watch Bottle suck this year.

I was riding today, and halfway up the climb, I thought to myself, "I haven't heard the name Leipheimer in almost a week!"

I floated to the top.

I saw him finish several minutes back, tucked closely behind a team-mate like he was a shoe in for the yellow-bellied jersey. A prize for the most gutless rider.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
This is the best TdF since '07. It's still an open race and Contador will be on the attack. After his crying, I hope Andy gets dropped. No one's fault but his own that he can't ride downhill. Rasmussen lost a podium place in '05 for the same reason.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I have to agree that the Schlecks are coming off as a couple of self-entitled tools lacking the savvy needed to bring home the whole enchilada. Of course, it's all filtered through the media so it's hard to know the real story.

Surprised to see the group come back together at the line today. Looked like AC and Sanchez had at least a little gap. Clearly the chase group had better organization and firepower to be able to close it up like that.

How about Voeckler heading off the road at least twice! Way to get after it!!

And finally, while I hope to someday have a road (or a portion of road) named after me, I really hope it's not something like "the Beloki corner"...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
2 radios per team please.
Remember the idea of a team Captain? One of their main jobs was to yell at people, idiots on their own team and idiots on other teams.
What I see more than anything that kills me is a lack of respect in the field these days.

Respect should not be earned via power output or podiums. Respect comes from doing your job, doing it well and doing it 250 days a year. Teamwork needs to happen on the road not from the car. A few instructions are great, that's what a manager does but the idea of orchestrating the entire event from a car looking at powermeter readouts and watching television feeds and using a slide rule to plan it all out is just a buzzkill and isn't healthy for the long term interests of the sport.

I don't see the young riders today developing the same skills and responsibilities as the riders in the generation before them. They grew up watching lame robo-racers trying to shave grams of drag and rider after rider get booted for trying to add 20% to their VoMax with needles.
When racing is more dynamic and less controlled power at threshold matters a little less. Of course the best racing we've ever had was in the pre-1998 era when the dope was silly strong. The tour was chock full of crashes then too- Johan Bruyneel who was a great capitan but medicore finisher won the fastest stage of all time solo on a rolling parcours. He was dirty, but he was also driven and angry.
Gimme a full field of dopers that are riding angry than a mixed bag. It sucks that to compete at the highest levels clean you need to be a big skinny sissy with no personality- but bike racing is really evil without drugs.

Closing a gap because you are getting time checks in your ear is a lot easier than judging a gap for yourself, reading how well the guys in front of you are working together and trying not to burn all of your matches.

It seems like a lot of these prissy sh!ts think that their paychecks entitle them to coddling by race officials... "I have too much on ze line! Djou cannot peenalize me"!

Drugs, hugs, thugs. Gimme all of them!
I agree with what you say, but when I see Cancellara at the front of the pack, motoring towards the finish, my feet twitch and my HR goes up a zone.

When the Tour is on, I don't care if they are doped to the gills, riding 8lb bikes, punch reporters. To see a bunch of racers hammer in the driving rain reminds me that racing is not for the weak.

Le Tour is Le Tour.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been in the desert with no computer for 3 days. I see AS is still a pussy.

Did thor do something cool and representative of a well rounded bike rider?

Did cavendish cry somewhere?
To summarize:

-Not just Thor, but Norwegians just seem to be well rounded and fast.
-Voekler is like Herpes, you can suppress but never get rid of him.
-Someone has been putting sand in the Schlecks chamois cream.
-Contador is like a rapist in a prison shower, he will continuously come at you from behind.
-Evans is like a properly operating vacuum tube, working extremely well but implosion is still possible at any moment.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
To summarize:

-Not just Thor, but Norwegians just seem to be well rounded and fast.
-Voekler is like Herpes, you can suppress but never get rid of him.
-Someone has been putting sand in the Schlecks chamois cream.
-Contador is like a rapist in a prison shower, he will continuously come at you from behind.
-Evans is like a properly operating vacuum tube, working extremely well but implosion is still possible at any moment.
Must spread rep :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Place your bets: Cadel blew up today, or blows up tomorrow?

It's cadel so there's no way he's showing up to that time trial in winning condition.

Somebody must have promised andy some ice cream at the top. Probably with chocolate chips. He had to ride up there for so long all by his wittle self!

Voekler rules.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Absolutely EPIC race! Most exciting race in years. I bet Voeckler keeps a podium place. If Cadel can hang on tomorrow, he'll take it in the TT

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Jebus, what a frustrating stage that was. I can't believe that none of the contenders besides Evans had the will/ability to chase down whiny britches. That being said, you have to give Leopard Trek credit as their team tactics came together perfectly.

I just hope that Cadel can limit the damage enough tomorrow so that he can crush the Schlecks in the time trial.

In other news, Voeckler is still a weirdo.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Today was cool. Friggin' Tommy Voeckler is awesome. He completely turned himself inside out to keep the jersey.

Gotta give props to Def LAY-o-pard today. It was pretty clear something was up when they put two guys up the road. I was surprised to see them let Andy get away like that. Cadel had to work super hard and will need a big recovery to stay with them tomorrow.

I thought maybe they were planning an attack but I guess AC and Sanchez were talking about how tired they were.

Here's a prediction that will surprise exactly nobody: Look for AC to go for the win tomorrow.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Gawd that was an awesome stage today... Was a brilliantly set up piece, though; 2 riders up ahead, Andy attacks early, and Frank was cool, calm and collected and ready to succeed if Andy failed. Risky move, and it (appears to have) paid off. Cadel looks like he pretty much gave everything he had today, and I'd wonder if he'll be able to have that strong of a stage tomorrow? Contador seems.... done, and while he might go for a stage win tomorrow, he looked pretty weak today.

And yes, Voeckler rules.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Gawd that was an awesome stage today... Was a brilliantly set up piece, though; 2 riders up ahead, Andy attacks early, and Frank was cool, calm and collected and ready to succeed if Andy failed. Risky move, and it (appears to have) paid off. Cadel looks like he pretty much gave everything he had today, and I'd wonder if he'll be able to have that strong of a stage tomorrow? Contador seems.... done, and while he might go for a stage win tomorrow, he looked pretty weak today.

And yes, Voeckler rules.
I'm hoping for another epic today. Maybe Contador will do what Landis did in '06 and go on an all day death march to try and win the race. The reality is that he doesn't care about anything but winning...a podium spot is a major loss for him and no different than getting 4th or 5th.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I still hate Contador, regardless of what he is doing today. I feel so bad for Tommy V right now.

I am still a Schleck fan, so if he wins, I'm cool with that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I still hate Contador, regardless of what he is doing today. I feel so bad for Tommy V right now.

I am still a Schleck fan, so if he wins, I'm cool with that.
WE have a race ladies and gentlemen! Go Evans! He's a damn good bike handler... can he close it on the descent? Maybe Garmin will lend a hand?

Voeckler, has imploded like a dying sun.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
WE have a race ladies and gentlemen! Go Evans! He's a damn good bike handler... can he close it on the descent? Maybe Garmin will lend a hand?

Voeckler, has imploded like a dying sun.
Garmin will a bit but they don't want to blow up and lose time on the team lead. I would absolutely love to see Danielson win today,(obviously not going to happen) but Evans is my number one for today. I see some amazing work on Huez from him.

I also see a flat rear for Contador before the climb!!!