Quantcast

Tour de France!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is so brutal. I can not believe they let him finish the ride. Horner is totally lost when he comes over the finish line:

http://video.bicycling.com/video/Chris-Horner-Post-Stage-7-Crash

That really sucks. He will feel like he can ride no problem but probably shouldn't be allowed to ride.

I finished a 6 hour MTB race not remembering the first 4 hours. I was pretty confused when they announced how many laps I had done and I only recalled a fraction of that. Wasn't until the next week until someone mentioned they saw me crash hard on the first lap. Riding can become so natural that you can get back up on the bike and go pretty ****ed up. I know for a fact that I can ride a bike when so drunk I can barely walk. I have also done laps at 24 hour races with a case of vertigo so bad I couldn't stand up without falling over, riding was no problem.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah that dude got straight KO'ed. It's not a light one either to still be jabbering what looks like probably over an hour or two after the incident. I've been like that before and then completely fine within 40 minutes, sometimes not. That's definitely a not.

Sucks. I was looking forward to that guy kicking ass and making fun of some euros.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Schlecks didn't get dropped, so now they're confident :rolleyes:
To be fair, watching easily Andy cover Contador's "attacks" in the final kilometers showed that he might be in better form than he's being given credit for right now...we'll see when the real climbs start.

No ****. Stupid move to start with but all he had to do was hit the brakes. Even then if you have the choice to hit a tree or a person, go for the tree.
I'm reading the crash was basicly due to the driver disobeying orders to slow down (something along those lines). My guess is his attention was on the cyclists, saw the tree too late and, by pure instinct, made a sharp turn in the opposite sense. But even if he had crashed into the tree, there were some cars, bikes & motos immediately behind the car...

Hoogerland has really been lucky. Crashing into barbed wire like that and coming out "only" with scratches it's a miracle. Not to mention finishing the race and losing only ~10'.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Even in the actual goddamn Tour de France, a driver would rather wipe out a cyclist than do damage to his vehicle...

How long before the domestiques start carrying wrenches in their pockets?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Even in the actual goddamn Tour de France, a driver would rather wipe out a cyclist than do damage to his vehicle...

How long before the domestiques start carrying wrenches in their pockets?
But the bikes probably cost more than the cars.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sprint stages are fine but I've had enough of the "argy-bargy", let's see who's got the legs. Bring on the mountains! Come on you clowns - suffer for our entertainment!! :D

Personally I think Contador is bluffing and that he feels fine. Let's not forget he learned a lot of things from Lance.

The Schlecks need to attack. They need way more time in the bank. If they think a minute and a half or so is enough and that they can simply defend, they are confused. There will definitely be climbs where they will not be able to match Contador. Plus, if he can stay upright, Contador should do pretty well in the TT. The Schlecks and Cadel should take it to Contador right away if they hope to bring it home - especially if AC is not bluffing and isn't 100% due to his supposed knee issue.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Wow. Go Evans... he just needs to do that 5 more times and he's golden. I feel bad for horner. He'd have been up there for sure.

Frank looked super strong, BTW, but if Evans can hang in there and limit damage to seconds, then He'll likely take this Tour in the TT.

Last edited:

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I was 175m from the finish today and damn was that an exciting stage :D
Thor is an absolute beast. Seeing Roy win would have been fantastic but I would have probably been crushed by the ensuing riot of drunk French people.
I was up on Luz Ardiden yesterday too- descending the mountain with thousands of other bikers, some pro riders, walkers and cars was pretty nuts xD
They close the roads to cars pretty early in the morning but let bikes on for a few hours so you can get some nice riding in on open roads with fans already getting rowdy- very fun.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Voeckler is one tenacious guy in yellow.
Think he can hold to Paris? He is riding a hell of a lot better than anyone thought, and he had a teammate to boot at the end. Only other team that had two was Lep-Trek.