Quantcast

Tour of Flanders on Versus

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I counted almost a dozen riders walking up some climbs. One peaked out at 22% on wet cobblestones.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Did you guys see the Angel Gomez crash! Hot damn that looked like it hurt!
How come they didn't have a flagman waving riders off?

Seems like all the other races I've seen offer plenty of warning and notice about such obstacles?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
How come they didn't have a flagman waving riders off?

Seems like all the other races I've seen offer plenty of warning and notice about such obstacles?
Dude, did you even watch it? The flagman had to practically dive out of Gomez' was to not get run over! He was just riding with his head down and not paying attention.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm almost positive that wasn't a flagman, just a cop standing around. I'll have to look at the DVR when I get home.

If I'm right that it was a cop, then it's compounded by the fact that there were no barriers or such around that obstacle like they do in other races.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm almost positive that wasn't a flagman, just a cop standing around. I'll have to look at the DVR when I get home.

If I'm right that it was a cop, then it's compounded by the fact that there were no barriers or such around that obstacle like they do in other races.
Either way, it's the guy's own fault for not riding with his head up. Even if it was a cop instead, if he would have had his head up he would have seen the cop and gone around him, not ridden straight at him! I am all for barriers and stuff, but to a certain extent you have to be alert.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I agree about being alert, just sayin', in defense of the rider, that's an anomaly that wasn't properly prepared for.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You could have put a fireworks display right there and Gomez would have run into it...

You think they brought that wheel over to the newest mechanic on the team and asked him to true it?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You could have put a fireworks display right there and Gomez would have run into it...

You think they brought that wheel over to the newest mechanic on the team and asked him to true it?
hahhaha - could you take a look at this...it seems to be rubbing a bit.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I was at a race and missed it :( From the report on Velonews it looked like an exciting race. The winner never opened a very big gap, but he held it

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

It was a cop but he had a flag that he was waving just like they always do on the road furniture. Dude just was head down not paying attention.....

But that was a crazy crash.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I was at a race and missed it :( From the report on Velonews it looked like an exciting race. The winner never opened a very big gap, but he held it
Yah, I was on my couch yelling GO DUDE, GO the last 10 minutes or so. I always like for people who take a chance to win. Sure, it ruins bunch sprints, but I like for "givers" to win. And that dude was given

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yah, I was on my couch yelling GO DUDE, GO the last 10 minutes or so. I always like for people who take a chance to win. Sure, it ruins bunch sprints, but I like for "givers" to win. And that dude was given
I would much rather see a solo in than a bunch sprint, it takes so much fitness and mental toughness to be able to hold off the peleton like that

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

awesome :rofl:

I was in pain just watching the race. The Tour of Flanders was the doing of the suffering.
no kiding! Those cobblestones would've given me a kidney stone.

What I want to know is how they managed to run up that hill in road shoes? I can barely walk across the garage floor without going for a slide.
I suppose since it was cobblestones, the cleat could grab?

This is one reason I like my SPD-SL... awesome cleat for coffee shops, iced sections needed to walk, or whatever.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What I want to know is how they managed to run up that hill in road shoes? I can barely walk across the garage floor without going for a slide.
I thought the same thing when I saw the photos.