Quantcast

Tour starts today

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Today live coverage started at 8:30 AM. From now on the live coverage starts at 5:30 AM (pacific standard time).

I watch the tour live every morning except on the 4th cuz I'll be out of town.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Ullrich lost over a minute to Lance on day one...more importantly, he got gapped by him as well on the road. HUGE psychological blow for sure. The team time-trial is tomorrow. This race could be over after that. There's still the matter of surviving sixteen more stages without any major incidents. Otherwise this is just going to be a battle for the remaining podium spots...again.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Ullrich lost over a minute to Lance on day one...more importantly, he got gapped by him as well on the road. HUGE psychological blow for sure. The team time-trial is tomorrow. This race could be over after that. There's still the matter of surviving sixteen more stages without any major incidents. Otherwise this is just going to be a battle for the remaining podium spots...again.

I'm not putting the cash on lance yet. He has a ton of work to do. he doesn't have the postal team to pull him in.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
66 said:
I'm not putting the cash on lance yet. He has a ton of work to do. he doesn't have the postal team to pull him in.
Smart call - too many miles remain to wager on anybody over there. He doesn't have the postal team - they're called team discovery now...and they're as good - if not better - than the team he had last year. It sucks that Ekimov isn't there, but he's got six of the riders from last year and a recent winner of the Giro on his side. His biggest opponent is misfortune or serious tactical errors. He's encountered both over the years and still took care of business.
I'd still love to see somebody give him a serious run for his money. Especially if it's a total no-name that absolutely nobody would have considered as a challenger. There has to be somebody out there that is fiending for a TdF victory - six years is a long time for one person to be grabbing the glory. Is nobody else determined enough to trade blows with him? It's not like he has any huge secrets about his training methods and approach to the tour.
I guess the difference boils down to him having a team that's 110% committed to and will essentially die for him AND having one of the best tactical thinking team directors in Brunyeel.

That was an amazing sprint today. Even in light of seeing McEwen looking like he was trying to smooch with O'Grady coming up to the line. Crazy Aussies!!