Quantcast

Tourist had to be airlifted out of the Alafia Trails in Hillsborough County Florida..

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Reminds me of a few weeks ago- we were in Pisgah heading down Laurel Mtn with a nasty storm approaching. We were still right at the top, feeling exposed and wanting to get the heck away from the lightning we were seeing and hearing. On the way down from the Parkway we ran into a guy and his date (I'm assuming). They were on rental/low end bikes, no helmets, no map, no extra clothes (temps dropping fast from the 60s- they were in tanks and shorts) and no food/water. They said they were heading towards the service road at the top that led back to the campground, but the only road up there is the parkway, which leads to the highway and then back to the campground, albeit 30 or so miles later. We tried to tell these organ donors they were heading in the wrong direction and there wasn't a road, but the guy, who I assume was on a date because of the attitude, got really annoyed that we would give him advice in front of his chick. He kept interrupting trying to explain to 3 guys on DH rigs wearing body armor head to toe that he knew everything there is to know about the trails. We ended up just telling them to go find the lodge near the parkway because we wanted to get the hell off of the ridge before it got any worse. We were definitely wondering how they got off of the mtn the next day. People like that are what is wrong with the outdoors sometimes- dumbasses who won't listen to people who know better.