Quantcast

Towin' a trailer

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
All my racks and trailer fit our vehicles. You?
This thread is about adapting a hitch rack I have for a vehicle I no longer have to fit a new vehicle. If I can't do it well with what's available or can be gently modified, I'll buy the correct part. I am not having a custom hitch fabricated from thin air nor am I taking off my new hitch to be modified by jimmy stack'o'dimez so I can run a 2" hitch. The correct part is readily available, but it's another expense that I'd rather not pay.

Sounds like w00dy is willing to help me tap the 1.25-2" adapter, so maybe I'll try that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is the 2" part of your current rack solid or a tube? You could cut it down to maintain the same length and either weld the adapter to the rack or find a way to bolt it for stability. Hell you could use epoxy for stability but still have the pin for structural strength.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its a little greasy, but have you tried asking Kuat for a new lower part, for your rack?

They've always sent replacement parts for mine, pretty much no questions asked. And that includes two replacement lower hitch mount pieces that you're looking for.

You could email them saying the ball or locking mechanism has stopped working or something. Mine did that once, the screw that pulls the wedge, which pushes out the ball, snapped. Emailed them and within a few days a new one was at my door.

Did it again when another bolt snapped on the new lower piece. One email, new parts in mail.

And same thing when the arms stopped ratcheting. One email, new parts in mail.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Its a little greasy, but have you tried asking Kuat for a new lower part, for your rack?

They've always sent replacement parts for mine, pretty much no questions asked. And that includes two replacement lower hitch mount pieces that you're looking for.

You could email them saying the ball or locking mechanism has stopped working or something. Mine did that once, the screw that pulls the wedge, which pushes out the ball, snapped. Emailed them and within a few days a new one was at my door.

Did it again when another bolt snapped on the new lower piece. One email, new parts in mail.

And same thing when the arms stopped ratcheting. One email, new parts in mail.
I've thought about that- not lying and saying it's broken, but seeing if they can offer a deal so I can keep using the rack. There's a section for a coupon code, so maybe they exist, but at the same time I don't want to abuse the system. As much as I am a cheapskate, I'd rather have Kuat trust that people with actual broken parts are getting the repairs they need then have them send me free shit because I don't want to pay for it.

I did reach out to 1up to see if that part is indeed what i want. We'll see what they say. One of the challenges is that my wife's car is a 2" hitch...so if i buy the new lower end, I'll need an adapter for her hitch (less of an issue to go small to big vs. big to small), and if I keep the lower end, then I need an adapter for my hitch.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich has seen the light.
I would have stuck with the 1.25" if uhaul hadn't properly fucked me. I drove 40 minutes away to the only place that works sundays, only to find out "they were missing a piece". That piece was the hitch. I drove back home and on the way they told me they would receive it the next day. I called back to reschedule only to find out they no longer work sundays.

So anyways, I called a few welders and found a guy who can replace the receiver, and was talking about it with a buddy at work who works on race cars, and he said he'd do it. So we'll see.