Quantcast

Toy haulers for bikes

My April tour of the Appalachians got me to thinking about toy haulers. Setting up and breaking down a tent can get tiresome and cooking outside can become problematic due to weather. I'm starting to think about looking for a small (two person) toy hauler to pull behind the Express van. Does anyone have experience or recommendations to share?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I use a 6' (W&H) x 14' CarMate trailer for work (with custom built-ins so its useless for fun).
A couple fold down beds and a side awning for cooling/hanging out would make a great toy-hauler.
Weighs around 1500# with a GWV of 7k; electric brakes, dual axle, rear and side doors etc.
Tows great, easy to toss around, would be useful for other things if you don't go nuts outfitting interior.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A buddy used to have a small enclosed trailer we hauled to the woods. We would sleep in it when it was cold out and it worked awesome to haul 4 motos, gear bags, all sorts of crap plus it was WAY better than a tent in the colder months of riding/camping.

It was just a standard enclosed trailer we pimped out inside.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the one Izzy had was an 8x6 with a rear loading ramp/door and a regular side door. It worked out quite well, but the lady wants something nicer (with a couch).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jen and I have been thinking about this route because we could tow the boat as well. But if we can find a place near Hood River to leave a trailer, we might go that route instead.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
This word does not mean what you think it does. :disgust1:

no it does not imply back country camping. it is a trail head base camp filled with cold beer out of the skeeters where you can comfortably get laid ( unless you are married then its just a place to sleep). I prefer it to staying in flea bag motel 6 enroute to my destination for play which might be a two-three day drive away.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
one fly fishing trip I got off work after a 12 hour shift and drove until I was too exhausted to drive. Slept in a big pull out on the side of the road

my goal was to hike into lakes like this with my float tube for the next week or so.

We were staying at campgrounds right at trailheads; the primary goal wasn't camping, it was riding, so I'm leaning towards Eric's end of the spectrum except want bikes to be inside, not outside. Since I would be towing with a cargo van, I guess the bike and baggage problem is solved by definition, so maybe I should just be thinking a small camping trailer, not a fold-up tent type, but something with more amenities.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Toy hauler is nice, but quite a bit of "wasted" space. We have access to one and are currently looking at fiberglass campers....simple, effective, bikes in the truck (or hitch). We want...sleeps 4, toilet, minimum maintenance. The Scamp 16 (layout 4) is our idea. There are many 13" options that are nice "bang for your buck" too. They generally sleep 2-3.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
TAB trailers have piqued my interest, I saw a few at KT & at NEMBAFest, and was impressed with the amenities, and that they were pretty lightweight for their size. Even with their relatively lightweight build, they all come stock with electric brakes. http://tab-rv.com/

Last edited:
Toy hauler is nice, but quite a bit of "wasted" space. We have access to one and are currently looking at fiberglass campers....simple, effective, bikes in the truck (or hitch). We want...sleeps 4, toilet, minimum maintenance. The Scamp 16 (layout 4) is our idea. There are many 13" options that are nice "bang for your buck" too. They generally sleep 2-3.
The 16/4 is real nice - don't even want to know what they go for...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!