Quantcast

Toyota Tacoma.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
How'd this turn out now that I'm an owner too? Digging through old threads galore. Will do my best not to bump them all.
Still happy.

Got a full ICON Stage II lift kit with their upper control arms for it, and found a set of black FJ Cruiser wheels too...

I have had a couple hiccups.

Turns out the manual these come with is the worst transmission Toyota's ever produced. They like to break. My truck had a weird squeak while idling and it turns out the throwout bearing was toast. The output shaft of the trans is aluminum, but there's a fix made by URD that cures the problem. I had to change out the throwout bearing, which meant a new clutch as well. :think:

My mechanic also noticed I had a bad wheel bearing while all this was going on. CHA CHING!

She's happy now though. Off to plunder some fire roads...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Still happy.

Got a full ICON Stage II lift kit with their upper control arms for it, and found a set of black FJ Cruiser wheels too...

I have had a couple hiccups.

Turns out the manual these come with is the worst transmission Toyota's ever produced. They like to break. My truck had a weird squeak while idling and it turns out the throwout bearing was toast. The output shaft of the trans is aluminum, but there's a fix made by URD that cures the problem. I had to change out the throwout bearing, which meant a new clutch as well. :think:

My mechanic also noticed I had a bad wheel bearing while all this was going on. CHA CHING!

She's happy now though. Off to plunder some fire roads...
Yeah, he's actually replacing the wheel bearing for me. Part is due in next week. What year is yours? Is a throwout bearing on just a manual or do automatic's have it too?

Oh yeah, I noticed mine is an SR5 model. What's that mean?

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
Look for TSB's for your truck.(Toyota Service Bulletin). There is one for the throw out bearing so look into it. If your airbag light comes on there is a TSB for the spiral cable as well. Curious if the wheel bearing you are replacing is driver side front?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Yeah, he's actually replacing the wheel bearing for me. Part is due in next week. What year is yours? Is a throwout bearing on just a manual or do automatic's have it too?

Oh yeah, I noticed mine is an SR5 model. What's that mean?
Mine's a 2006. You only have to worry about the TOB if you have a manual. Since you have a doublecab long bed, I'll assume you have the automatic... SR5 means you have a nicer trim level. Power windows, locks, cruise, ect.
Look for TSB's for your truck.(Toyota Service Bulletin). There is one for the throw out bearing so look into it. If your airbag light comes on there is a TSB for the spiral cable as well. Curious if the wheel bearing you are replacing is driver side front?
I know about all the TSB's. Problem is the TOB problem isn't totally fixed, even with the new upgrades. The URD fix is much better.

Driver side front bearing without a doubt... Funny eh? ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Wow. BIG ISSUE. It threw an engine code, so I registered the VIN as an owner on Toyota’s website and saw the service history. It notated the last owner took it to Jim Barkley 2 weeks before I bought it. Called the TOYOTA dealer. They pulled the block and found it was leaking coolant into the block and recommended replacing the entire block. They apparently drove it immediately 500 yards down the road and traded it to Paramount Kia.

Called my in-law. He checked w/ his service manager and said that the warranty doesn't go into effect for 30 days and they may still decline the claim as a "pre-existing condition".

Have I stepped out of the realm of RM's help? He wants me to bring it back and wipe out the deal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Turn it in and move on. What appeared to be a good deal isn't.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Apparently. My first thought was remembering "internally lubricated parts are covered". THen he tells me there is a 30 day wait and they can decline it.

Personally, I'd love to risk driving it for 30 days and then turning it in on day 31 just to screw my own in-law over in hopes the warranty people came back on his dealership so they wouldn't scam people in the future.

That would get me a brand new block which would be hella cool! I guess I'm screwed if it craps out on day 29 though unless I have it towed to the house and then wait and file it.

DAMN......IT.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shakefist:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
What would it take to get you in a Kia Rio today Mr. Butch?

Car people.
Yuckers.
A 5th of vodka and a frontal laboratory.

Just talked to the Toyota dealer to find out best case scenario. They said at best, the warranty company would have them stick a reman block in with a limited warranty.

Service stated the specific problem was that cylinder 6 was WARPED and leaking coolant into the block.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Had a weird front end sound and he said "Take it back and we'll call it even. I don't want you in a bad vehicle." Luckily turns out to be a wheel bearing so he's replacing it. :thumb:
This threw me when I first read it- he seemed a bit "eager" to take it back. I guess now we know why...
It's a bummer dude :(

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
This threw me when I first read it- he seemed a bit "eager" to take it back. I guess now we know why...
It's a bummer dude :(
No, he actually wanted to take it back for me when I told him it had a bad wheel bearing b/c he didn't want to run risk of me having more issues. We eat dinner at family get togethers several times yearly. I'm legally allowed to break his nose at those events. It's in Hillbilly by law 203.b.

With the dinners occuring at his mother in laws, he can't avoid said repercussion.

Sucks for all basically. They can't go registering a vehicle on Toyota's website as owner to find out service history. If I hadn't done that, no one would know. He's gonna take a loss on the vehicle at auction regardless.

I'm not a Tacoma hater. Maybe he'll actually find me a better one.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
No, he actually wanted to take it back for me when I told him it had a bad wheel bearing b/c he didn't want to run risk of me having more issues. We eat dinner at family get togethers several times yearly. I'm legally allowed to break his nose at those events. It's in Hillbilly by law 203.b.

With the dinners occuring at his mother in laws, he can't avoid said repercussion.

Sucks for all basically. They can't go registering a vehicle on Toyota's website as owner to find out service history. If I hadn't done that, no one would know. He's gonna take a loss on the vehicle at auction regardless.

I'm not a Tacoma hater. Maybe he'll actually find me a better one.
That is a bummer all around. Not meaning to bash your in laws, just sounded fishy without knowing the whole story. I'm kinda interested to type in the VIN of my old Tundra- I didn't know they had such a thing on the Toyota website.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Butch just get a Geo Metro and be happy.
Friends metro convertible used to have an intermittent wiper button that would launch across the car when you hit the off button. I hit it going down the interstate once and it fluttered out the window. Even she had to laugh.

That is a bummer all around. Not meaning to bash your in laws, just sounded fishy without knowing the whole story. I'm kinda interested to type in the VIN of my old Tundra- I didn't know they had such a thing on the Toyota website.
Yeah, if you register yourself as owner using your VIN# on their site, you can see things like warrantys for emissions, drivetrain, etc and then they list any open recalls. The Toyota site is the first I've seen an actual service record. Strange thing was it only showed two visits, 1 in September 2012 and then one March 5th. Service desk gave me 5 separate service visits the owner had during that time, so not all show up.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
2wd? And the dealership doesn't put new tires on there when they sell it? The dealership I worked at for a short amount of time wouldn't sell a used car with tires that had less than 50% tread life, so 90% of the used cars we had on the lot had brand new rubber.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Wife stopped by to help me give it the once over. No way to get the kids out of the back at school or anywhere else without me getting out and opening the rear. You can slide the passenger seat forward like in a 2 door, but the rear passenger can't actuate it.

Got to looking and the previous owner gutted it of things you'd think no one would ever care about. The tools and jack are gone, the rear trailer hitch and the 2" ball that mounts to the bumper in lieu of a hitch. Plus it's been in a "hit an animail" collision hard enough to replace both sides and the front. It came out of my hometown, so it must have hit a carp in the road. :rolleyes:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Wife stopped by to help me give it the once over. No way to get the kids out of the back at school or anywhere else without me getting out and opening the rear. You can slide the passenger seat forward like in a 2 door, but the rear passenger can't actuate it.

Got to looking and the previous owner gutted it of things you'd think no one would ever care about. The tools and jack are gone, the rear trailer hitch and the 2" ball that mounts to the bumper in lieu of a hitch. Plus it's been in a "hit an animail" collision hard enough to replace both sides and the front. It came out of my hometown, so it must have hit a carp in the road. :rolleyes:
I would look for something that wasn't previously owned by a retard. Red flags are only useful if you heed them.

Doesn't NC have any old guys who keep their stuff in immaculate condition?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
I would look for something that wasn't previously owned by a retard. Red flags are only useful if you heed them.

Doesn't NC have any old guys who keep their stuff in immaculate condition?
Not Tacomas. It seems like they are all flogged to hell round here in the hills. Jacked up w/big tires, abused, Monster stickers all over them etc.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Buy this. You'll thank me later.

I've gotten 10 DH bikes in mine, haven't had a single issue (I'm at 107k) get 22mpg. Can fit a ton of work gear/riding gear in the truck, Haul 5 people in the cab no problem, can fit an assembled bike inside the back of the cab(with the seats up), more comfortable ride than an truck I've owned or ridden in, still have 10-15k of life left on my original tires. A guy I work with hasn't done a single thing with his ridgeline other than regular maintenance and he's at 225k.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
who puts that much effort into an automatic v6?
Maybe someone wanting to race 7s? I dunno what the deal is with the auto trans is though... maybe someone who wants to race 7s and try to eat a cheeseburger at the same time?

I'm pretty sure I could still have a good time in that truck even with it's drawbacks.