Quantcast

TPMS

Given that I bought a set of wheels for the Sprinter and put snow tires on them, noting in the process that the rear summer tires have been wearing much more than the front, and I want to start rotation, I'm thinking that I probably want to purchase a TPMS programmer and learn how to use it.

Also going to be swapping to the winter tires in about two weeks.

Any recommendations?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Given that I bought a set of wheels for the Sprinter and put snow tires on them, noting in the process that the rear summer tires have been wearing much more than the front, and I want to start rotation, I'm thinking that I probably want to purchase a TPMS programmer and learn how to use it.

Any recommendations?
Is there no way to have the Sprinter re-learn the new sensors?

Vehicles should be required to have this function. I've bought two different gadgets which supposedly would swap our Subaru between our winter and summer wheelset and they've never worked. Now I just deal with the light on all summer and the winter set functions correctly when I swap to them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Any recommendations?
I got a cheap programmer, it's basically the same that all the cheap ones are on ebay/amazon. It works. The main thing is making sure you get the right frequency to match your TPMS.

After you program the sensors to the car, then it "relearns" the pressure.

So my ignorance: The shop from which I bought the snow tires mounted them and programmed the sensors. They also marked the wheels DF, DR, PF, PR, which I understand.

Winter tires I'm in the habit of rotating front to back each year, keeping on the same side.

Summer, if I did it correctly, would be a five way rotation including the full sized spare.

I can tell the Sprinter to relearn; from what you all have said above, it'll decide what sensor's on what wheel?

Edit: RTFM, John.

"New tire pressure sensors, e.g. in winter tires, are automatically taught-in the first time they are driven."

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So my ignorance: The shop from which I bought the snow tires mounted them and programmed the sensors. They also marked the wheels DF, DR, PF, PR, which I understand.

Winter tires I'm in the habit of rotating front to back each year, keeping on the same side.

Summer, if I did it correctly, would be a five way rotation including the full sized spare.

I can tell the Sprinter to relearn; from what you all have said above, it'll decide what sensor's on what wheel?

Edit: RTFM, John.

"New tire pressure sensors, e.g. in winter tires, are automatically taught-in the first time they are driven."
Glad we could be of assistance. :D

As I put above, our 2016 Subaru has no easy way to swap between wheels as there's no re-learn function. I like that our 2018 Nissan truck shows individual wheel pressures. But as I never swap wheels on it, I don't know if it is smart enough to cope with a wheel swap.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I do know that ford and dodge both have memory storage in the ECU for at least 2 sets of sensors as well.
My Land Cruiser has a toggle switch in the glovebox to switch between winter and non-winter wheelsets

which is not needed in reality as the tire shop just clones the sensor IDs for the two sets

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Any sensor set will be read within 15 miles of most modern vehicles as long as the sensor memory isn't full or occupied, the only time it needs to be remapped is when the memory slots are full with a set then it will send a code or after market sensors are installed and need to be learned as long as they are in the right freq band.