Quantcast

TR450 compared to an '08 "round tube" DHR

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I almost built up my first DH bike this season. Now that all obstacles are behind me, the lifts are closed and its snowing in the mountains. :mad:

My winter project is going to be a DH bike for next season. I'm torn between a prior model DHR and the new TR450. I've ridden older DHRs and loved them, but only had a parking lot ride of the new Transition. It felt super stiff, and way slack. I think I could love it.

Anyone have time on both and want to throw up some comparisons?

:thumb:

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The TR is definitely stiffer than the DHR in the rear. Could be a good thing or bad thing. Both have pretty similar cockpit feel (really short reach, long TT/slack SA). Pretty similar bikes. Rampy, low pivot. 1.5 HT on the TR, standard on the DHR. TR weighs a bunch more. From what I've seen the hardware and linkage on the TR seems to be more durable.

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
I also love my 08/09 DHR. Resale value will probably be much higher on a tr450 once dw-dhrs start showing up in the classifieds. Just something to consider.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
A short review of the TR 450. I've been on mine since june. The TR 450 handles like a dream. Couldn't ask for a better bike. Super fast. Suspension is very active. Extremely hard to bottom out. Rear end is super stiff. Rails corners, sprints like crazy, hardly any pedal bob, soak up the big hit with ease, jumps well, very stable in the air. holds a line well in the rough stuff. Solid all around. Once this one wares out i'll be buying another one for sure. cheers mate

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Sneakin in with a semi Jack - anyone know how big the L runs? I am heavily inclined towards an XL 11 DHR, but am considering Evil Revolt, and if TR450 could fit, seems really appealing.

Remembering 2004 following Kyle around to various rides before they 'blew up', I'va had a hankering for something Transition since but have stuck to my SC's for XL sizing (which is no more on the DH/FR stuff)

Oh yeah, 6'8" 38.5" Inseam -- More like an average 6'6" ion terms of overall size.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
well I'm looking at a 2010. Either way, I think the weight difference between the TR and DHR is maybe a pound, and isn't a deal breaker. Sub-40# seems doable with either build.

Sam: where did you save the the 275g? Any other tweaks you care to talk about?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
well I'm looking at a 2010. Either way, I think the weight difference between the TR and DHR is maybe a pound, and isn't a deal breaker. Sub-40# seems doable with either build.

Sam: where did you save the the 275g? Any other tweaks you care to talk about?
I hear tell there's less junk in the trunk

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
A short review of the TR 450. I've been on mine since june. The TR 450 handles like a dream. Couldn't ask for a better bike. Super fast. Suspension is very active. Extremely hard to bottom out. Rear end is super stiff. Rails corners, sprints like crazy, hardly any pedal bob, soak up the big hit with ease, jumps well, very stable in the air. holds a line well in the rough stuff. Solid all around. Once this one wares out i'll be buying another one for sure. cheers mate

Nice bike. Whats it weight as pictured?
edit: also, what do you weigh and what #spring are you using?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I sold my 08 DHR last year and bought a TR450. The TR450 is heaps stiffer through the rear end than my Turner was but does weigh a fair bit more too. The TR450 will work with nearly any rear shock, while the DHR is limited to the DHX, Vivid, CCDB and a few others. Ridewise, I think they both have their strong points and drawbacks but I do love the RC4 on the TR450. Personally, I don't regret going from my Turner to the TR - particularly given the change in Turner distributors here in Australia. If the new TR is lighter (and hopefully has the chainstay length adjustment from the TR250) then I'd definitely recommend it over the DHR.

andy_n

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
I sold my 08 DHR last year and bought a TR450. The TR450 is heaps stiffer through the rear end than my Turner was but does weigh a fair bit more too. The TR450 will work with nearly any rear shock, while the DHR is limited to the DHX, Vivid, CCDB and a few others. Ridewise, I think they both have their strong points and drawbacks but I do love the RC4 on the TR450. Personally, I don't regret going from my Turner to the TR - particularly given the change in Turner distributors here in Australia. If the new TR is lighter (and hopefully has the chainstay length adjustment from the TR250) then I'd definitely recommend it over the DHR.
Having ridden my DHR and the above TR450 back to back a couple of weekends ago. The main things I found that felt similar, where the way they felt and tracked through corners. The TR, may have felt better in the pedals. The DHR felt better in the air (may have been the weight difference), a lot easier to pick up and move around.

I would ride either bike quite happierly if it was the older model TR. If as Toodles says above that the new model is lighter with adjustment in the stays, I would consider it.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Nice bike. Whats it weight as pictured?
edit: also, what do you weigh and what #spring are you using?
In that picture it weighs 41 lbs. The ti spring is an RCS 450lb. I weigh 185 or so. Its perfect, a little bit softer than the steel spring.