Quantcast

tracer vp chain rub??

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
hey guys/gals,

are there any of you who talked me into a tracer actually riding tracers? i'm experiencing some chain rub against the bottom linkage piece when i'm rollin' in granny. anyone else experience this?

thanks,

miked.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
it's a shabby picture, but it's all i can get for now. hopefully it will help explain my issue. i've left the chain in the middle ring so you can see what's happening. the red line indicates the approximate path the chain runs in the small ring. where the red line crosses the black linkage, my chain rubs along it.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
What are you running for a crankset? who built the bike? If running a crankset with outboard bearings (i cant tell from your pic) maybe the spacers arent set up correctly, and thus your chainline is off?

tough to say without seeing the bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My first thought is BB spacing. You could add another spacer in the BB to push out the crankset.

Also there are special crankset spacers, which go over the spindle. It is not commonly known, so you might have to ask around.

Third solution is to man up and take off your granny.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
how much is it rubbing? if just barely then I would say youre missing a spacer on the bb. if its rubbing a lot then im not really sure.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
The Tracer VP should have a chainline of 50mm (IIRC) - if you have a decent set of calipers, you can measure that (bike centerline to middle chainring) and see where yours is set - if it's less than that, you need a spacer in your BB driveside (assuming you have outboard bearings).

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
so i measured my front chainline, and i come in i think closer to 51 mm than 50mm. adding a spacer is only gonna push it another mm or 2. that sounds like something i don't want... i have read online that the truvative 73mm BB runs a 51 mm chainline with a triple ring setup. so in theory, the bike is set up correctly... maybe intense just didn't give a sh*t about that bottom ring? i can't remember the last time i used my granny gear, but it just annoys me that this is an issue.

Benjamino

Chimp
Sep 5, 2009
I have a tracer with chain rub, I emailed intense and apparently some tracers were set up with the wrong main pivot bolts. You probably have the wrong pivot bolts and should contact intense and ask about the tracer specific bolts, which are completely flush with the linkage.