Quantcast

Tracing an email....stalker issues.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So the short version is, my wife has a bit of a stalker issue. A guy we used to work with at Boeing was a little mental for her. It just so happened he was from Montreal. He was doing the contract job thing moving around from one company to another. We hadn't heard from him in forever and had forgotten about him.

Out of the blue, she gets an email from him. The weird thing is that the email is from a videotron account...a montreal ISP. The other weird thing is that my wife took my last name when we married. He wouldn't know this. (we got married after we had last heard from him). So he has sent two emails to her old school account, which has her married name. How the hell would he have gotten it? She has asked everyone at Boeing that knew him and no-one has admitted to giving him her new contact info.

We can't find him in any of the phone books or online people finders.

He may or may not know that we are in Montreal.

It's a little weird. I'd like to know where his emails are coming from...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
MMike said:
So the short version is, my wife has a bit of a stalker issue. A guy we used to work with at Boeing was a little mental for her. It just so happened he was from Montreal. He was doing the contract job thing moving around from one company to another. We hadn't heard from him in forever and had forgotten about him.

Out of the blue, she gets an email from him. The weird thing is that the email is from a videotron account...a montreal ISP. The other weird thing is that my wife took my last name when we married. He wouldn't know this. (we got married after we had last heard from him). So he has sent two emails to her old school account, which has her married name. How the hell would he have gotten it? She has asked everyone at Boeing that knew him and no-one has admitted to giving him her new contact info.

We can't find him in any of the phone books or online people finders.

He may or may not know that we are in Montreal.

It's a little weird. I'd like to know where his emails are coming from...
Send him back an e-mail from you saying "please refrain from contact my wife, if you contact her again I will consider it a personal offence toward myself".

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Why go through all of that trouble?

Just have her invite him to some dark, out of the way place for a meeting, then you beat the crap out of him.

This would be far more to the point.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MMike said:
I was more hoping for "how to trace an IP " or something along those lines.

So far he hasn't done anything. My wife would just like to know if the emails are coming from montreal or not....

Is it possible that he addressed the e-mail to your wife's maiden name and your wife's comany exchange server still has that associated with her current mailbox?

edit... easy enough to test, why dont you email something to your wife's maiden name account and see if it goes through

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
The best your going to do on your own is get the IP of the computer he sent the mail from. You can get it from the header information in the email. ISPs won't give out the personal information without police involvement.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Is it possible that he addressed the e-mail to your wife's maiden name and your wife's comany exchange server still has that associated with her current mailbox?

edit... easy enough to test, why dont you email something to your wife's maiden name account and see if it goes through
funny I just thought of doing that right before I read this. She says the old address is dead. But it has yet to be bounced. She hasn't checked for my test message yet...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i wouldn't respond to him at all.. block his address and never read another email form him.. eventually he will either think he has the wrong email.. or just give up

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Tenchiro said:
What's the IP, I can tell you what city the computer was in that sent the e-mail.
If you aren't using outlook how can you find the IP? It's through my wife's old school account. They have weird custom email system. I can't seem to extract the IP from it...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
MMike said:
If you aren't using outlook how can you find the IP? It's through my wife's old school account. They have weird custom email system. I can't seem to extract the IP from it...
There should be an option to view the header info, if there isn't forward the e-mail to an account where you can use a standard e-mail client and check the header there.