Quantcast

Tracing Network Packets

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
we have a customer on the east coast, (were on the west coast) who can't pull up our web page. it's a Dot.net application (very basic though)

it takes our customer over a minute to download a web page from our servers.

we have checked our servers and log files and nothing gives us any reason as to why they would have such a giant lag time. I think it has to do w/ spyware or a firewall on their end.

isn't there some program that will allow me to view the network packet traffic from here to there?

I'm not a network person, just curious. our network guy is at lunch or something....(even though it's 9:00 am..:))

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just sit on your server and pull up a command prompt, then go "tracert <ip address>".

It'll bounce packets to all the servers in between the two addresses and tell you where the slowdowns are.

You can download a million traceroute programs off the 'net, though, some very sophisticated that will actually tell you where the servers are in the country - there was an online service that provided a map for a while. Don't know if it still exists.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I use ethereal which is a really handy packet grabber/analyzer.

5 minutes with it is usually enough to convince people to use a VPN or other secure communications, especially on public wireless.

and, it's an open project so it's free and available for lots of platforms. :thumb: