Quantcast

Track pump recommendations?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK so my trusty Joe Blow has finally died, time for a new shiny one. Pretty much my ONLY criteria for a track pump is max volume of air per stroke/second/whatever. I.e. for inflating tubeless tyres.

Shame no-one quotes that sort of thing, all they mention is max pressure which is irrelevant. Wish that german mag would to a trackpump grouptest to measure this sort of thing.

Any suggestions? No real budget; if it's worth the money I'll get it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The way people build pumps these days annoys the f out of me. A track pump is something you should buy once and should last for 20+ years and be serviceable when it breaks.

Any recommendations on that pump? I'd pay good money for that.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I got a Joe Blow Max 2 for the same reasons you describe, as it has a larger diameter barrel. It's pretty cheap and plastic-feeling, but it's holding up fine. Still often have to go to the gas station to use the compressor though...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The Joe Blow Ace looks like what I want - dual chambers to get as high as 60psi should in theory have great volume. It's facking expensive though, and the guage goes to 260psi which means trying to figure out whether I've inflated to 26 or 30psi will be pretty much impossible.

That said I have a road bike too, so not sure the max2 would cut it with it's theoretical 120psi top end.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I concur. Well, for bikes anyway. Maybe they're hoping lots of people will have something else around the house (god knows what) that needs that sort of pressure? It can't be so you can do forks/shocks too as even the small barrel is far too big to do sensitive adjustments, I'd think. Probably just a big number to get clueless idiots (waves) to pick it over the competition.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Someone needs to make an MTB specific pump. High volume with a nice dial guage that only goes to 60psi or so with great detail in the increments.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I concur. Well, for bikes anyway. Maybe they're hoping lots of people will have something else around (god knows what) that needs that sort of pressure? It can't be so you can do forks/shocks too as even the small barrel is far too big to do sensitive adjustments, I'd think. Probably just a big number to get clueless idiots (waves) to pick it over the competition.
I think tubulars for road bikes go as high as 200 psi... :eek: I seem to remember reading that somewhere... crazy.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Very good point, I'd forgotten about tubs! Some on CRC are advertised as being rated up to 215psi!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never knew anyone who pumped up tubulars past 120-130psi.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
My favorite is the Specialized Air Tool Pro. It's shiny and expensive and fills tires really fast, plus it has the most accurate pressure gauge I've ever seen on a floor (track?) pump.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Never knew anyone who pumped up tubulars past 120-130psi.
Really? I pump my clinchers to 120-130 and one of the key selling points of tubs is the ability to take higher pressures.

Anyway, slightly off-track here!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Really? I pump my clinchers to 120-130 and one of the key selling points of tubs is the ability to take higher pressures.

Anyway, slightly off-track here!
I'm no expert when it comes to road tires, but you reach a point where higher pressure isn't going to get you going faster unless the surface is unusually smooth. I also don't how skinny the tires are these days either - that might play a role.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Pretty much every one that I know has a Specialized air tool. They are garbage, stay far away. I have had nothing but problems with the stupid 'switch hitter' valve doohickey. Another friend just picked up one of the Lezyne pumps, it works pretty well, fills dem tires fast.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The Lezyne looks nice, and I have one of their multi-tools, nice bit of kit. I feel they're made with form over function though, and the barrel looks narrower than other pumps I've seen, so crossed off my shortlist.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Its narrower but significantly longer. Pumped up a set of UST minions on Stans ZTR flow rims with only a little sealent without much of a fuss.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Lezyne is a top notch piece of kit. I'd go with the Classic Floor Drive or Alloy Floor Drive. I'm surprised you thought the multi-tool was form over function though.

ojaiDH

Chimp
Jun 20, 2009
dream land
I've been using a specialized for 6-7 years and it works great for me on anything from my DH, XC, or road bike. not sure of the model name but its the chrome one with the presure relief built into the handle. and it is rebuidable.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My favorite is the Specialized Air Tool Pro. It's shiny and expensive and fills tires really fast, plus it has the most accurate pressure gauge I've ever seen on a floor (track?) pump.
I'll second this.

Plus it has the little bleeding button on the handle for fine-tuning pressure. Really nice pump with a good feel.