Quantcast

Trackers

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone use trackers? I'm an Android boi so I'd probably be looking at Tile, but I'm interested in the technology at large.
I think the problem being they rely on very large numbers of others in the same ecosystem - so Apple Airtag takes the lead. Then you've lessers like Tile and the Galaxy SmartTag.

I've certainly read plenty of stories where airtags have helped people locate luggage or be comfortable it's making the journey with them. I've read pretty much nothing about the competitors.

I'm also Android and I'd certainly like to have the option when travelling with bike, but it's needs to be worthwhile. I might give the SmartTag a try as my phone is a Galaxy, but I can't tell if it requires the anonymous phones out there to be running the app also, reviews aren't clear on that.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I started to go down the rabbit hole of these things a few months ago.

Lots of the tests out there show that the Samsung tags actually did just as well, if not better, as the Apple Air tags. But you need to have a Samsung phone to make use of it.

I also heard not long ago that Google is perhaps coming out with their own. Don't know more about that though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I started to go down the rabbit hole of these things a few months ago.

Lots of the tests out there show that the Samsung tags actually did just as well, if not better, as the Apple Air tags. But you need to have a Samsung phone to make use of it.

I also heard not long ago that Google is perhaps coming out with their own. Don't know more about that though.
Sounds like the smarttag+ is comparable to the airtag from an accuracy standpoint, but you need an S21 (ultra?) or newer to make use of that.

I have an S20 FE :/

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sounds like the smarttag+ is comparable to the airtag from an accuracy standpoint, but you need an S21 (ultra?) or newer to make use of that.

I have an S20 FE :/
Yeah you miss out on the pin point accuracy of the + model, but also sounds like that might not be needed in most cases. If you're using it to find keys or something small like that then maybe...

The smarttag+ is also a more expensive.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah you miss out on the pin point accuracy of the + model, but also sounds like that might not be needed in most cases. If you're using it to find keys or something small like that then maybe...

The smarttag+ is also a more expensive.
But if you're sticking it your luggage/checking a bike to fly, $40 vs $30 isn't much to be concerned by and the accuracy would be desired.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But if you're sticking it your luggage/checking a bike to fly, $40 vs $30 isn't much to be concerned by and the accuracy would be desired.
True thats not much. Would still need the much more expensive phone too. :p

Another thing is that to use the precise location thing - which looks like a triangulated augmented reality thing, you need to already be within 15 meters of the tag. So you're already pretty close.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also interesting that you can't even buy the Samsung tags from their website anymore. Both the regular and the + one says "not for sale". :confused:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm going to pick up a few Galaxy tags for the upcoming trip out West.

Just need to find somewhere that has them cheap...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife has a newer S23 now, so I guess we could get a couple of the fancier more accurate ones for the next time we fly bikes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wife has a newer S23 now, so I guess we could get a couple of the fancier more accurate ones for the next time we fly bikes.
How does she like that phone so far? How's the battery life?

I'm eligible for upgrade at work and am looking at the S23. I currently have a Samsung A54 5G, which has a big 5000mAh battery, which is super nice. But the phone is big, especially with an Otterbox on it - it even ripped the zipper apart on my Austere Labs fanny pack, which for some reason no local tailers will touch ( :mad: ).

Having a slightly smaller phone would be nice, but its also nice not really having to worry about charging my phone much. If I track a 2-3 hour ride with Strava, the battery goes down maybe 5%.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How does she like that phone so far? How's the battery life?

I'm eligible for upgrade at work and am looking at the S23. I currently have a Samsung A54 5G, which has a big 5000mAh battery, which is super nice. But the phone is big, especially with an Otterbox on it - it even ripped the zipper apart on my Austere Labs fanny pack, which for some reason no local tailers will touch ( :mad: ).

Having a slightly smaller phone would be nice, but its also nice not really having to worry about charging my phone much. If I track a 2-3 hour ride with Strava, the battery goes down maybe 5%.
She upgraded from an S9, she said she likes it so far. Presuming it's just that bit faster etc. It's the same size near enough as her old phone and both phones have a Spigen Rugged Armour case added. Not sure how it compares in size or battery capacity to my S20 FE, but they fit fine in our LA packs using the pocket alongside the water bottle holders.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I picked up two Galaxy Smart Tags. Stuck one in the girlfriends backpack and will see if it gets picked up on her way to and at work (yes I told her.. :busted: ).

:edit: apparently shes already at work. I guess gets off early tonight? Anyways, it looks like it got picked up while driving twice and then again at her workplace. Not bad.

I have the 2nd tag in my car and it got picked up twice as well on the drive here to work. And again 5 minutes ago, but that must have been from someone far away - the map says the tag is across the street at a gas station.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Sounds like there's a smart tag v2 getting released soon, I think I'll likely try those.