Quantcast

Tracking your DH rides

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Here Strava data has actually led to many non sanctioned mtb trails built without permission on privately owned land becoming officially sanctioned.

funny old world init?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Here Strava data has actually led to many non sanctioned mtb trails built without permission on privately owned land becoming officially sanctioned.

funny old world init?
Here's what it does in Murika -

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Just remember, if you’re riding illegal trails, please do not use Strava. Even on private. Landowners and others can still see where has been ridden.
not actually true...had a few trails I built and tracked with strava with the activity saved as private over a few years that never showed up on the heat map until well after general public started riding them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
not actually true...had a few trails I built and tracked with strava with the activity saved as private over a few years that never showed up on the heat map until well after general public started riding them.
Its one of the privacy settings. You can opt out of contributing your data to the heat map.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
GDPR guidelines meant Strava had to give you the option to opt out of heatmaps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used to use my phone bought a Garmin 830 in may it's like having a dashboard on your bike
I set the screen to the compass I track rides so I know if I'm riding more miles each year than the previous
Thanks, I have my strava account set up to alert me as to whether I was hitting my annual mileage goal. I usually use mine in dashboard mode, don't pay much attention to it but it's nice to have as a clock and timer on rides.
I use a Garmin 530 and like it for the dashboard. The ability to track miles on various components on Garmin Connect is good for managing suspension service intervals too. The minimap is helpful on unfamiliar but sanctioned trails too. I used that function a ton last weekend in Tahoe to know how close we were to a junction without digging out my phone. Phone drain while using it is super minimal, even with Livetrack running.

I have a K-Edge top cap mount which includes a breakway mount disc (cost $3 to replace). Coupled with the lanyard, I'm not really worried about trashing the Garmin. I can confirm the breakway disc works as intended. :)
I've used strava to track mileage on my bikes....nice to see what's getting used and isn't, but I haven't used Connect for that yet, I suppose I should.

I totally forgot about the lanyard, that would be useful even when attached to a proper mount. mine wouldn't mount to the stem due to lack of clearance with the steerer and handlebar, so I just mount it to the bar. Seems stable enough, but not something I wanted for DH.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, I brought my iphone and BUMBAG to the mountain but couldn't be dicked to actually wear it and bother. The lift line was so long that I probably could have tracked the whole day with the phone and just paused at the bottom without issue. I stuffed it in my jacket pocket but it just wasn't worth it in the end. I'll keep it for trail rides and such.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes