Quantcast

traction vs stiffness of suspension

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
is the stiffer you set yous suppension have anything to do with the traction you get on loose ground such as gravel? i set my suspension stiffer and it feels like my tires loose traction easier. anyone care to shed some light on this?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Yes, softer suspension will give you better traction.

You're suspension should be as soft as possible, as long as you don't bottom out often and don't get annoyed while pedalling.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
The softer the better - as long as you don't regularly bottom out. I have a local course that I have done hundreds of times. I've done it at all suspension settings.

By far the best setting is where the bikes sags significantly just from sitting on it, but where it does not bottom out except on major hits.

Let's put it this way: At firm settings, I couldn't even make corners at 1/2 the speed I do at the soft settings.

For example, my Fox rear shock has about 14 clicks - I go 4 up from the softest. I run my fork the same way.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yes soft usually gives you better traction in part because your wheels stay in contact with the ground better. "Soft" can mean lower spring weight or less compression damping. Also don't forget tire pressure, which for purposes of traction is absolutely critical.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
roberts said:
The softer the better - as long as you don't regularly bottom out. I have a local course that I have done hundreds of times. I've done it at all suspension settings.

By far the best setting is where the bikes sags significantly just from sitting on it, but where it does not bottom out except on major hits.

Let's put it this way: At firm settings, I couldn't even make corners at 1/2 the speed I do at the soft settings.

For example, my Fox rear shock has about 14 clicks - I go 4 up from the softest. I run my fork the same way.
i went from super soft on my swinger last week to stiffer this week. i am a 165 rider with a 350 spring and i ran about 65 in the chamber on a SGS. run rebound pretty slow and i run alot of bottoming resistance. i feel i am pretty agressive and hit **** hard. this week i put it up to like 145 in the chamber and took off some of the bottoming resistance and i really like being able to pedal but have yet been able to test it on a course. race this weekend and idk what to do. go back, somewhere in the middle or keep it stiff. any help is appreciated

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i like mine with a faster rebound but you want the compretion to suck everything up but not so much that it blows through all of your travel

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i like my suspension to settle to its perfect sag and be really stiff from there so i can skip off of objects and pedal and manhandle the bike around more but i am a pure bred racer boy type