Quantcast

Trademarking culture

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Cultural appropriation/theft much?

Been a ranty button for me for ages this sort of thing.
Started for me when the local Heineken owned mega brewery trademarked
"Saison" and "Radler" and set their lawyers onto small independent breweries making Radler and Saison.
This was followed by an American winery owner trademarking Martariki which is the Maori name for the winter solstice..... and at the time I was the organizing/running an annual mid winter craft beer festival called the "Matariki Winter ales fest".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cultural appropriation/theft much?

Been a ranty button for me for ages this sort of thing.
Started for me when the local Heineken owned mega brewery trademarked
"Saison" and "Radler" and set their lawyers onto small independent breweries making Radler and Saison.
This was followed by an American winery owner trademarking Martariki which is the Maori name for the winter solstice..... and at the time I was the organizing/running an annual mid winter craft beer festival called the "Matariki Winter ales fest".
What is the name of the brewery so we can call them up?

You can't trademark Saison, I mean, you can, but you are going to eventually lose. This is all an indicator of a toxic internal company culture that is out of control.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
IPONZ (Intellectual Property rights Office of New Zealand) who adjudicate and award Trademarks, copyright and the like awarded Dominion Breweries trademarks for Saison and Radler.
We successfully managed to force Dominion Breweries to voluntarily give up Saison but couldn't get them to drop Radler.
Unfortunately we didn't have the money to fight DB & IPONZ.

IPONZ (Intellectual Property rights Office of New Zealand) who adjudicate and award Trademarks, copyright and the like awarded Dominion Breweries trademarks for Saison and Radler.
We successfully managed to force Dominion Breweries to voluntarily give up Saison but couldn't get them to drop Radler.
Unfortunately we didn't have the money to fight DB & IPONZ.
Grrr...