Quantcast

Trading bikes or frames?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Selling and buying things is pretty straight forward...What about 'trading' items like full bikes and frames?

What do people normally do to ensure a safe trade?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ChrisRobin said:
Selling and buying things is pretty straight forward...What about 'trading' items like full bikes and frames?

What do people normally do to ensure a safe trade?
Unless I know the person, I would probably keep my trades limited to local riders--so the exchange can be made in person.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
trade local where you can see it in person is a must. I know a few people who got screwed pretty bad doing trades. Forks that were messed up, frames with cracks.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've only ever traded once and it was for a different size of the same year frame to a fellow monkey (props to JeffD) It went smoothly, but there was some post count based trust. Be careful.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am not a fan of buying used stuff but it can be a good way to save money. The problem is that it often ends up costing nearly as much as going new anyway. Buy local, and buy from friends or at least someone who is a friend of a friend so you get an honest description of how it was used.

For a used FS frame I would factor in the cost of immediately replacing all bearings and pivot hardware so you know you are starting with a clean slate.

For a complete bike, factor in the possibility of needing all new drivetrain components (at least a chain and cassette, if not rings too) as well as brake pads, maybe a new handlebar to be safe, maybe tires, cables, different weight springs front and rear (unless it's air), etc.