Quantcast

Traffic Poll

You are presented with a flashing yellow traffic signal. Do you:

• Total voters

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The inability for people to use merge lanes in this neck of the woods is mind boggling.
  1. Accelerate to match highway speed
  2. look for open spot in traffic
  3. Unable to decide whether to accelerate or slow down to fit in slot. Panic stop
  4. Sit stationary on on-ramp for 20 minutes waiting for giant open spot in traffic
Roundabouts here cause so much confusion that I am pretty sure a lot of people just faint from the sensory overload.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'm so busy texting I have a hard time keeping track of the signals. Where's the 'punch it and hope for the best' option?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Roundabouts here cause so much confusion that I am pretty sure a lot of people just faint from the sensory overload.
There's one rotary in New Hampshire, only one that I've ever run across, where the traffic in the rotary yields to traffic entering. It was quite the mind fuck to encounter.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They put in a round about in the country to try and ease the flow of trucks at an intersection rather than the funky 3 way stop they had. Now people are confused because there are 2 lanes going into it (right lane takes first right, left lane goes around to second). It scares me to think how these people manage to make it out of the house in the morning.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
F) SSk
They put in a round about in the country to try and ease the flow of trucks at an intersection rather than the funky 3 way stop they had. Now people are confused because there are 2 lanes going into it (right lane takes first right, left lane goes around to second). It scares me to think how these people manage to make it out of the house in the morning.
A guy in a corvette crashed into a light pole going around the roundabout in front of the local airport. His wife was killed. Light pole was a good 50 yards from the road, he must have been doing a pretty good clip. This should make you feel pretty good about yourself.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The inability for people to use merge lanes in this neck of the woods is mind boggling.
  1. Accelerate to match highway speed
  2. look for open spot in traffic
  3. Unable to decide whether to accelerate or slow down to fit in slot. Panic stop
  4. Sit stationary on on-ramp for 20 minutes waiting for giant open spot in traffic
The saga continues once they merge:

1. a mad dash to the left lane, park your ass there for the rest of the trip
2. cruise a few mph slower than the ongoing traffic, leaving a mile long gap in front
3. when mid lane opens for passing, accelerate to prevent nervous fuckers behind you from passing you
4. 30 yards before exit, a mad dash to the right lane
5. 15mph on exit ramp while admiring new designer sunglasses in a vanity mirror

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

2. cruise a few mph slower than the ongoing traffic, leaving a mile long gap in front
3. when mid lane opens for passing, accelerate to prevent nervous fuckers behind you from passing you
I'm still trying to figure out what your avatar is. It looks like a penis in a suit smoking a cigarette with a penis sticking out of the ball sack crease.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

AND those people that completely ignore the MASSIVE gap that I give them for them to merge, but they continue to speed to the end of the merge lane like there is a jelly donut and checkered flat waiting for them. Only to force their way into the live lane at the last possible moment, which of course causes everyone behind them to accordion up.

Don't get me started on those asshats that use the merge lane/ramp as a passing lane, only to end up doing what I mentioned above.

I love being honked at for leaving that gap as well. I forgot its a race.

:banghead:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm still trying to figure out what your avatar is. It looks like a penis in a suit smoking a cigarette with a penis sticking out of the ball sack crease.

Yeah. I am really hoping whatever my new gig is can also allow for a reasonable bike commute.

Vancouver is awesome, except for the traffic, which is horrible. Combine a lack of decent highways with a population who can't drive... Armageddon. The traffic radio station sounds like the world is ending 24/7.

Oh, and what do you do when you hear an emergency vehicle? Slam on the brakes and stay in your lane, right? Bonus points of you team up with people directly adjacent to you in all lanes, including the oncoming ones.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It all depends on if the sidewalks are clear. I can usually utilize the curb cuts at crosswalks to gain access to them. The only problems are when folks freeze in panic when they see how fast I am going on the sidewalk towards them, instead of jumping out of the way like a normal person. In my neighborhood folks recognize me and jump out of the way. Not so much in other parts of town. Sucks to be them.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Flashing yellow is easy. What to do when the light is completely out is apparently more difficult (hint: 4 way stop). In Long Island, the assholes there would blow on through if their road was perceived as "bigger."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Flashing yellow is easy. What to do when the light is completely out is apparently more difficult (hint: 4 way stop). In Long Island, the assholes there would blow on through if their road was perceived as "bigger."
I've observed this retarded behavior here as well. You would *think* that a flashing yellow would be easy. Nobody screws it up at night... WTF. :confused:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Don't forget NOT to signal during any of this and flip off everyone who doesn't immediately yield to your every whim.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I would love to see how the average North american would fare in rural France with the "priorité à droite" rule... this sign:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I would love to see how the average North american would fare in rural France with the "priorité à droite" rule... this sign:
This rule exists all over Europe if I am not mistaken. I was quite surprised there was nothing similar in the US when I came here. I still find 4 stops crazy, and I don't quite get the rationale behind the blinking green or the missing red+orange signal on the semaphores here.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Most idiots on the road need their rear view and side view mirrors ripped off their car and thrown away so they can just focus on looking through the big window in front of them

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
hah. I know exactly "who" you're talking about. Toronto (Markham) is the same.
People who drive front wheel drive cars on the trolley tracks of Bathhurst St and expect to be able to turn or accelerate to get out of the way of the trolleys.