Quantcast

Traffic Protection

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
I ride to work on the road while it's still dark outside. Had a few close calls with cars and now I'm starting to think that maybe some lite protection would be the way to go. Do any of you guys ride on the road with a spine protector? I'm mainly wondering about a lite full faced helmet. I'm wanting more than a standard bike helmet, but I don't want a huge / heavy motocross helmet either. What do you guys use? Any suggestions?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Could be wrong, but I am thinking that he meant to get some lights if you haven't already....visibility and all...most crashes happen because they can't/didn't see you...

And I don't think anyone rides on the road with a spine protector. I saw one dude with a full face. Never seen so much as a knee pad besides that guy. Seriously, getting hit by a car is a bad deal, but I think you are over-thinking this. Better to concentrate on your riding habits and visibility than add these protective measures that will make your ride less enjoyable and may not protect you that much in the end anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I agree with the lighting idea. Do everything you can to not be hit in the first place, because dh or moto style protective gear won't do squat if you actually make non-negligible contact with a car.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
What light do you guys suggest? I don't really want to spend more than $50-$60 unless I absolutely have to...
Yea, cause $75 is way too much just to save your life!

If you want to be safe you need to make yourself seen. A bar light, flashing red tail light (steady tail lights can confuse drivers), and reflective clothing are a must. You could also add a helmet light and a flashing yellow/orange/lime green bar light if you really don't want to get run over by a semi truck. And if you REALLY want to stand out you could get these battery operated string of LED lights. $20 is a great price.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yes, what woodsguy said- bar light and flashing tail light are necessary if you're having problems. Reflective stuff helps if it is dark- a bright reflective safety vest would probably work just fine and keep the costs down. That plus at least two inexpensive lights should be within your range. You don't have to spend more than that, but it might help; these things are cumulative.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Safety vest with leds

Niterider has the minewt that run around $100-120 for a decent front light.

Blackburn Voyager 2.0 front light $20 is ok for being seen.

blackburn/planet bike superflash tailights. $20-$30

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I run "Frog" tailights on all my bikes. They're like $7 from pricepoint, and just snap around your seat-post, more than bright enough to be seen from behind, and cast a good glow on everything aft of your seatpost.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-MJ-880-Version-Imporved-Battery/dp/B006QT7FFC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1372142121&sr=8-9&keywords=magicshine and it's awesome! Mainly got it for MTB riding at night, but on low or almost low settings, it's great for normal roads, if I'm on poorly lit roads, I kick it up to high, but it'll blind drivers if you're not careful.

A few friends have these http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Light-HeadLight-HeadLamp-1200LM/dp/B008KUXRAW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1372142121&sr=8-8&keywords=magicshine Not nearly as bright, and doesn't pattern as well, but it's enough for fireroads at night, and should be plenty to make you visible to drivers.

Little reflectors make a big difference too. My backpack has reflective stripes, I stuck a few pieces of reflective tape on my helmet, the heels of my shoes reflect, and I look like a christmas tree when somebody's headlights hit me.

Jul 8, 2013
Lights arent mandatory in all states? NEW rider (well, 45 year "break", LOL) but the regs here in Indiana REQUIRE lights, white front red rear after sundown and before sunrise. Just curious.

Just started riding again June 13 (old, fat) but I also had "get the h away from me" people flying by LESS THAN 2 feet from me on a two lane highway.

On the 4th I taped a US flag (smaller of course) on a short pole to the back of my panier rack. HUGE DIFFERENCE with most being totally in the passing lane but there are still some feeling they can pass me WHILE another vehicle is coming the other way. Scares me and I'm fearless. :)

No lights here yet, but I wont be riding ANYWHERE in the dark without yet here in the Cornbelt there is a draw to night riding with very, very little traffic.

God Bless

AllenMeyer

Chimp
Jul 13, 2013
Could be wrong, but I am thinking that he meant to get some led lighting if you haven't already....visibility and all...most crashes happen because they can't/didn't see you...

And I don't think anyone rides on the road with a spine protector. I saw one dude with a full face. Never seen so much as a knee pad besides that guy. Seriously, getting hit by a car is a bad deal, but I think you are over-thinking this. Better to concentrate on your riding habits and visibility than add these protective measures that will make your ride less enjoyable and may not protect you that much in the end anyway.
Proper lights and helmet is ideal for protecting yourself from accidents. Make sure you are able to see others as well as must be visible too..

Last edited: