Quantcast

Trail accessibility - Durango, Telluride, Gunisson

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
How early in the season can those be riden?

Is late April too early for Durango?

And what about LaSale Mountains in Utah??

Thanks for your trip planning help! :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well, Telluride is big with skiing, so I'd have to imagine that the snow pack will make it muddy well into June. Durango is downhill, but still at elevation from the snowpack mountains, so I'll guess the same for there.

La Sal Mts get snow for sure, but I think the shuttle drops people off ~8000 feet, so I bet the trails would be okay. If you're hiring a shuttle, give 'em a call?

I know people went last weekend for the Skinny (yes -SS-, pavement :blah:) Tire Fest and I think the road conditions were good. If you like mixing up dirt with pavement, riding the La Sals is a must. It's only a 65 mile loop from town with some wonderfully screaming long downhill on the other side back to town. Bring extra water cuz there's no supply at all during the 65 miles.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have been in Utah in SEPTEMBER and there was too much snow in the LaSalles to go up there.

Go figure.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I would say that April is way too early for most high country rides. It will either be really muddy or still covored in snow. Most ski areas are still open into the middle of April and close with 4 or 5 feet of snow still on the ground. Unless you are going to Wolf Creek and it will close with 10 feet still on the ground.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Morryjg said:
I would say that April is way too early for most high country rides. It will either be really muddy or still covored in snow. Most ski areas are still open into the middle of April and close with 4 or 5 feet of snow still on the ground. Unless you are going to Wolf Creek and it will close with 10 feet still on the ground.
Absolutely. Durango (the town proper) may have some decent singletrack that is dry by then, as may Gunnison (Hartmans). The SW of Colorado and the S & SE of Utah have been getting POUNDED this year. Here is the site you want for info on the SW of CO:

http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/current.html

You can actually zero in on individual observation sites and get *real* data on how much snow is on the ground. For Utah:

http://www.ut.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/current.html

For example - the La Sal data station is currently reporting almost 4 feet of snow at 9850 feet. Which means the high country trails in the La Sals will be fu#*ed for awhile. :D

-S.S.-

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ridemonkey said:
You'd be better off in Moab and Fruita in April.
They're already in the plan.

If there is too much snow, we'll have to go south more, like Flagstaff, Sedona, etc.

Thanks all for the info.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ah, weather in the SW... was supposed to be dry and nearly 60°F today. Now, there's a wind storm and it's snowing.

I almost rode my motorcycle to work today cuz those horrible meterologists had me convinced.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Echo said:
Jozz you should just take a road trip to Cleveland this weekend - Ray's!
Did you try Ray's park?

That's a good suggestion on the way down. :thumb:

Any other suggestion for good riding in late April?
Nothing West of Utah, so Ca is out of the question.

AZ, NM, Northern TX?