Quantcast

Trail booby-trapping in SC

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So I went for a ride late Sunday down one of the UC trails, and ran into what I can only assume were intended to be booby traps. This was one of the lesser-known trails and is more of a DH/FR trail. After one of the drops, someone had put several branches across the trail in the landing/transition. These were probably-make-you-eat-it-and-endo sized branches. There was nothing placed on the approach, so there was no way you would have known until it was too late if you hit the trail blind assuming nothing had changed. Thank god I had a slight screwup right before this drop and so I stopped before it. Before walking up to re-do it I walked out to the edge to check it out, and saw the branches. I cleared them out, and then further down found more, again on the landing side of a fairly committing double. As this is a trail that very few people know about, I don't know why someone would go halfway down the trail and then booby trap a couple stunts.

Anybody seen anything similar on other UC trails recently? I'd be cautious for the time being and scope out the usual jumps/stunts before hitting them.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
Yes I have seen similar booby traps. Leave it to the typical Santa Cruz tree hugging hippies. They are willing to maliciously cause bodily harm on another individual just to save a F'in tree.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
First and foremost, I don't know of any trails behind the campus up there, and I've been riding there for years.

But if I did ride trails that I'm still, totally sure, don't exist, that I'd tell you that we found a booby-trapped jump yesterday. The lead-up was covered in many thick branches, the jump was kicked in, and the landing was covered with a few more 6" diameter branches.

Sad, but true. Malicious, militant hippies who scream for "peace and equal enjoyment of the world" are really selfish, capitalists who just want to keep the trails for themselves and take away as much value from the property as possible.

...if those trails existed.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Its so weird, when I.. ahem.. hike out there... I never see anyone else hiking. Maybe I just don't go enough. In my opinion, there's enough room out there for all of us, and if someday someone ever built any DH/FR trails, they would be on a steep enough hill that hikers wouldn't even enjoy going out that way.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
I have um heard , that there has been quite a lot of this going on lately.Small stunts or bridges that have been there for years are now all bashed in and rocks and sticks all over the trails.Maybe next time I am hiking on those trails that no one is supposed to be on in the first place maybe I will run over ,I mean into some of these people and have a friendly chat with them about why there are trying to hurt people!

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Until there is a writeup in the paper about some jerk rigging booby traps on trails "Get's shot in the head while rigging traps" this thing may continue..!
These threads are popping up more & more...Always good to push or climb up the run first these days if possible..

Loser wacko environmentalist natzis burn in hell !!!!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
There was chainsaws, most likely, because we came across a few trees that had randomly fallen down (in glorious 70 degree weather).

In any case, Tuesday we would have hiked up the trails (if there were any trails at all), and we could have scoped out the decent first (if there was a decent)...

...and then we would have hit the jump trail, and made one short trail decent... (if there was a jump trail, and short trails).

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I've never really understood booby trapping things. People who ride these non-existent trails aren't just a group of people who "ride occasionally". Lots of people who ride these trails are also the type of people who have probably spent hours working on them. A few booby traps are going to stop them?

And I don't mean to take it lightly. Anyone who thinks that booby traps as an appropriate response to a bicycling scene they don't like should be shot. I guess it's a lot easier to set traps when you'll never have to worry about actually meeting the people they'll causing loads of unnecessary injuries too.

"I'm all for world peace. That is, right after we take care of those damned mountain bikers."

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
"I'm all for world peace. That is, right after we take care of those damned mountain bikers."
"Hug a tree... love a tree... love a bush... just LOVE NATURE! But first, go to Home Depot, support "the man" and his "huge, polluting corporation", buy gas powered chain-saws and steel rebar spikes, and then go and attempt to slaughter a few mountain bikers who are just having fun."

We're seen as an early 20's group of virtual criminals. I've seen kids as young as 12 and 13 on those trails. I'll bet that if the militant, "Peace (anarchy), Love (hate), and friendship (exclusion) hippies would open their eyes through their dread-locked, unkempt hair, they'd stop being dickholes for like 5 seconds.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
You really only need patience and two people to end this whole pvssy ass booby trap thing......one with a M14 and one with a M40A3.....not that I've ever ever contemplated it

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
"Hug a tree... love a tree... love a bush... just LOVE NATURE! But first, go to Home Depot, support "the man" and his "huge, polluting corporation", buy gas powered chain-saws and steel rebar spikes, and then go and attempt to slaughter a few mountain bikers who are just having fun."

We're seen as an early 20's group of virtual criminals. I've seen kids as young as 12 and 13 on those trails. I'll bet that if the militant, "Peace (anarchy), Love (hate), and friendship (exclusion) hippies would open their eyes through their dread-locked, unkempt hair, they'd stop being dickholes for like 5 seconds.
Go ahead and profile them as hypocritical peace-loving hippies and you're no better than them profiling us as a bunch of moto tree-killing criminals. You know nothing about these people except they suck and don't like mountain bikers. Don't be stupid.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I've only ridden in Santa Cruz a couple of times and it was awesome riding. But, I live in Oakland so Santa Cruz is not that convenient. Anyhow, I run into this sort of booby trapped trails fairly often when riding up in Joachin Miller Park. I always check the backside of jumps before hitting them for this very reason. I'd love to catch one of these idiots in the act. For some reason, having a friendly conversation with them just does not come to mind.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Go ahead and profile them as hypocritical peace-loving hippies and you're no better than them profiling us as a bunch of moto tree-killing criminals. You know nothing about these people except they suck and don't like mountain bikers. Don't be stupid.
All that you know about me is what I've posted. So you, knowing very little about me and making judgments on me means that you're no better than me making judgments on the hippies, who are making judgments on mountain bikers as "moto tree-killing criminals".

Can't we all just get along? :spam:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Always poach at your own risk.

Remember that on illegal trails you're behind enemy lines.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
lets say theres a jump trail at ucsc that dosent exist with a little trail with a few ladders and jumps to the right of it that also dont exist but if it did exist (which it dosent) then i built that trail that isnt real. but some stupid hippies tore it down. broke all the ladders. i mean the ones that dont exist. so im pretty mad about it.
I hate it when imaginary people :rolleyes: cut down live trees and then nail them into other live trees in the process of building sketchy stunts that quickly deteriorate into death traps - actually booby traps themselves - and in the process create more reasons to kick all cyclists off the trails for good.

I might be talking about some other stuff but some things happen out there that are just stupid.

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
that crap was up in vancouver a few year ago. some guy was putting barbed wire and junk on the woodwork on the north shore. it was messed up

*edit* ahah @ censors

gobike

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
My 2 bud's and I parked our cars at Rincon on Saturday at 8am. There was 1 other car in the lot. We then climbed UConn and then returned down UConn, and then climbed UConn and again came back down UConn because ahem...that is the only trail that exists up there (besides some boring fire road). You can imagine my surprise to return to Rincon 2 hours later to a packed Rincon lot. The lot was completely full so people resorted to parking to the north and south of the lot along Highway 9 and it was barely 10am! Furthermore, some schools aren't out yet, so it's only going to get worse...

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
I ride here a lot for living on the other side of the hill (2-4 times a week), I have yet to see booby trapping (although it is sure to exist). I doubt the amount of people riding effects booby trapping. It is likely a couple of people or a couple of small groups acting independently of each other. Fact is, not everyone knows that these trails are "mountain bike trails" and still wander/hike/etc on them, thinking "we" are encrouching on "there" trails. I have only met reasonable riders out there, and some pretty interested hikers which makes me asume that any booby trapping is just a couple of angry people acting ignorantly, maybe after having a bad experience w/a bike. So, do what you feel is neccesary if you see these people causing others harm. However, slowing down when you see people and being courteous, will most likely reduce this kind of stuff. Less bad experiences w/bikes will lead to a better image of biking.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
There are no residents for a couple miles in either direction, so they aren't getting upset. As a local rider, I don't mind out-of-towners coming around I even had a big group come to visit from SoCal a couple weeks ago. There are always places to park along the highway.

We are all indebted to the people who built the trails. I try to do my part to clear away fallen trees after a storm. That U-Conn really takes a beating.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Why don't, on these imaginary trails, people just stake the imaginary stunts, jumps out and wait for these hippies to come along, theoreticlay [sp?] of coarse. Then Beat the ever loving crap out of these imaginary hippies! Theoretical problem solved!

That's awesome about those fn hillbilly crack heads finally getting their turn in court. Awesome that the lady got 5 years. More time is deserved, but sounds like 5yrs was the maximum. Lame that her boyfriend got off though. Hope they sentence the older guy to at least 5 years too. I remember when that happened to that dirtbiker, and thought they were all sooooo lucky that it didn't kill him. Look it up on mapquest - Loma Chiquita looks really close to Demo...
-S