Quantcast

Trail builders! Building a hip jump for first time.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
First sorry for sounding stupid. I'm looking for tips or pointers in building hip jumps. I have built trails but never put in a hip jump. I've seen videos of hip jumps but there all different. Should I angle the take off a bit? Where to put the landing.
I don't have anywhere to practice the hip jumps. So if I want to get comfortable I got to build it myself. Once again sorry if this sounds stupid.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Usually finding a bank and smoothing out the take off is all you need. As long as the bank is nice and wide to use as an infinite landing, you can just boost up and out and have any sort of landing position/spot you want.

The GOOGLE SAYS....click to make big:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I personally think hips flow the best when they are around 45* or less. Cutting them into a bank just never really feels that great compared to a hip built from scratch unless the landing gets reshaped with a better angle. Some exceptions to that are when the landing is so steep it doesn't feel harsh.

dankpic

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I personally think hips flow the best when they are around 45* or less. Cutting them into a bank just never really feels that great compared to a hip built from scratch unless the landing gets reshaped with a better angle. Some exceptions to that are when the landing is so steep it doesn't feel harsh.

dankpic
90° hips are fun too, no? A little harder to build them with good flow but it is possible.

p4pb4320363.jpg