Quantcast

Trail building and advocacy introduction thread

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
Thank you john.

I'll start by introducing myself. I'm a newb to Ridemonkey but not a newb to biking or trail building. I live on Vancouver Island in BC, Canada and I describe myself as a trail builder who also rides bikes. My preferred method of building is by hand (Pulaski, Mcleod, shovel & rake.) I build low environmental impact singletrack, XC DH and some freeride. Dirt Jumps aren't my thing but I respect and appreciate the work and skill involved.

I have personally built over 50 miles of singletrack, most of which is still in use. I have a vast network of both professional and amateur trail builders who I consider to be friends. Between my own experiences and theirs, we have run across almost any situation you could think of.

I'd like to meet other trail builders on Ridemonkey to share experiences and ideas. I've been told that if there's enough interest, Ridemonkey will start a Building and Advocacy forum.

Trail Ninja

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've built all sorts of stuff on and off over the years. some good, some bad. some big. some crazy. haven't built anything lately, but will be buying a house this spring, hoping to get at least an acre so i can make a pump track.

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
These kids are responsible for me building 20 of the 50 miles of trails I built. The whole 50 miles has taken 49 years and cost me thousands of dollars, 1 wife and several girlfriends. If I had the chance, I'd do it all over again exactly the same way.

916043.JPG

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Here in Yakima, WA myself and a few others have started a non-profit organization dedicated to trails. We have the 501c3 filed but not approved yet. Name is Single Track Alliance of Yakima (STAY). We have a trailhead (Rocky Top) and have put down some 10 miles so far. Alot of other cool stuff I will talk publicly about once things start falling into place.

Personally I've been building dirt jumps/pump tracks/singletrack for 14 years now and probably dig more than I ride. I'd like to get back into the jump lines and DJ's but the last two years I've been working on mostly XC stuff plus a pump track on the family farm.

Here's our janky webpage http://about.me/stay.org (Yes thats me with the mcleod in hand)

My building style (generally) is to let the bike pick the lines and then I ride it in. Once the speed picks up and corners start to blow out I'll bring in the tools and make the sketchy sections faster with more flow. It gets addicting!

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
Great mission statement on your site boostin. I've always wanted to build in wide open terrain like that. It's worlds away from coastal trails.
frogbefore.jpg
frogafter.jpg

Last edited:

Moosey

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
I'm also a ridemonkey newb, but I love building. I live in a small town in Nevada, with only 1 small hill within abour 45 mins of my house, so it's all I can build at. I like freeride and downhill mostly, but do build dirtjumps when I can. Heres some of the stuff I've built in my hometown. None of it is spectacular, but I do enjoy putting a shovel in the dirt, almost as much as riding.

Theres a 7 foot drop leading into this 12 foot canal gap (12 feet(ish) out, and about 3 or 4 feet down)
canal throwback 001 small.jpg

Heres part of a DH trail me and a friend made
Rattlesnake 003 smallitized.jpg

and a fun little rock wallride we incorporated into a trail
Rock Wallride 001 small.jpg

Heres the dirtjump me and a friend built at his house
edit 001 small.jpg

sequence 001 small.jpg

AZ..

Chimp
Jan 8, 2013
Good stuff Moosey, long ways from your "Janky Jumps" days. AZ. from AZ. Built a lot of trail in Eastern Arizona, single track and Multi use.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Howdie folks! I build & maintain trails in Upstate NY with my husband and am a board member for our local bike club. I too prefer the rocks and roots that litter the trails in the northeast. When building, we try to follow the flow and features of the land and minimize the impact on the land while incorporating lots of great rock ridges, etc. that we have to work with.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Get good at it? Take some risk? We have at least two builders in our area who have turned pro and have not yet starved to death...
wtf. it's that "risk" part when you've got a fam that depends on the insurance this monkey surfing job provides... but I might be getting close... I pretty much hate it here. :)

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I just moved to medium sized (?) town in rural PA. We moved in December, but there doesn't seem to much of a mountain bike scene here. Its more of a hunting and atv type of scene. However, there is a hill just outside of town with a little over 1000 ft of vert. I'll have to do some exploring in the spring.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
Agreed. Yellow text is failing. Change it to...black? The "STAY" in yellow can stay though.

I don't and haven't built trails but have a real big desire to. I have the drive and opportunity to build my own bandit but lack the knowledge on how to make it sustainable and fun. More importantly, really, really challenging. It's been tough trying to get the gnomes around here to help me learn too. I have a chance to learn in a few weekend though and will be doing just that to the fullest.

Last edited:

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
I just moved to medium sized (?) town in rural PA. We moved in December, but there doesn't seem to much of a mountain bike scene here. Its more of a hunting and atv type of scene. However, there is a hill just outside of town with a little over 1000 ft of vert. I'll have to do some exploring in the spring.
Best time to explore is winter if you can get out, or early spring before the leaves come in. In winter you can really see the possible lines with the snow on the ground. In spring it's the best time to see where water erosion might be a problem.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yea, that font is pretty terrible. I have to highlight it in order to read it. Once the 501c3 is ironed out we can start digging in and lay a solid foundation.

Also, once the feet of snow melt off the trails we are 2 miles shy of finishing a 10+ mile loop that has an 800ft descent! It's pretty awesome considering these are the first legal-built legit MTB trails in the greater area.

Last edited:

Moosey

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Over Winter break I went back to Nevada, and got up to Reno a few times to help Jim 'Hacksaw' Severt dig at his dirt jump spot. Can't post pics or details, but man... that place is heaven on earth. There's so many lines and options, I could spend all day there, and still not hit every option.

Also, this summer while I'm back in NV, I might get to help Jim build some stuff up at Sky Tavern (a new lift accessed park near Reno). By the sounds of it, the two6 crew (Cam Zink and party) are going to be building a trail up there, and a dual slalom course is already built. If Jims in charge of this place it will be awesome! I'll keep you guys posted when I build some stuff up there.

I really enjoy building, I don't know how to explain it, but it's fun to hit a feature, or watch someone else hit a feature you built, and you can stand back and say "yeah, I built that..." It's a really rewarding feeling.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Freelance? With a company? Do tell.
I've done both & a brief stint at a bike park.
All three actually. I split my time between working for Trail Dynamics (out of Brevard, NC), doing smaller projects under my own company and also a collaboration on developing a bike park (Beech Mountain Resort, host of the 2011 and 2012 US national champs). I was involved in 11 different projects in 2012 (that I can remember) ranging from XC trails, USFS trail relocations, dirt jumps, jump trails, pumptracks, downhill trails, etc. Really don't like talking about myself a lot so I'll keep it at that. Life is good! :D

Last edited:

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
All three actually. I split my time between working for Trail Dynamics (out of Brevard, NC), doing smaller projects under my own company and also a collaboration on developing a bike park (Beech Mountain Resort, host of the 2011 and 2012 US national champs). I was involved in 11 different projects in 2012 (that I can remember) ranging from XC trails, USFS trail relocations, dirt jumps, jump trails, pumptracks, downhill trails, etc. Really don't like talking about myself a lot so I'll keep it at that. Life is good! :D
I'm thinking I've had discussions with someone from Trail Dynamics on MTBR. I looked through their site and I know I've seen some of the pictures in the gallery before. You have a life that many would envy.