Trail Care Crew and Trail Building School, Spokane

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
September 15, 2007
Free you can preregister here
http://go.imba.com/spokane

Join FTTRC and the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care crew in a FREE trail building school at Beacon Hill. Come learn from the best - Kristin and Ryan Butcher have extensive experience in trail and mountain bike park building. They will spend the weekend talking trails, teaching proper trailbuilding technique, and spend quality time digging in the dirt.
Trail Building school will begin with a morning session in the classroom, and then we'll move on to Camp Sekani to build a new trail that makes the most of what Camp Sekani has to offer.

www.fttrc.org for more information

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I'm just curious...but are their people out there who really need to take a class on trail building?

I just look at what I've got, what I want, and make it work.

*Don't hate, just asking...*

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
There's a definite right and wrong way to work the dirt. The IMBA crew teaches "sustainable" trail building, which means building something that will stand up to use with a minimum of maintenance and a minimum of erosion problems. If you have ever ridden a trail that's an erosion gully, or has old school water bars on it, or the edge is breaking away - those are the kind of things that they teach you how NOT to do.

I've done this school before, and it's really a lot of fun.
How to determine grade, laying out a contour trail, proper bench cuts and so on - all this leads to trails that are low maintenance,last forever, and a lot of fun to ride.

extra curricular reading:

10 common trail building mistakes

building sustainable trails

They are really good at teaching the "why" you should do things a certain way, to avoid erosional disasters like: