Quantcast

Trail Conditions Douthat

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Rode Douthat 2 weekends ago...Middle mountain side was in great shape, some wet snow on the very top.
Nothing you couldn't pedal through...one blow down in a corner on the Stony Run Falls trail, you can hop over it.
One blow down on the Locust Gap trail, waist high...
Other than that...super fun!!!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Glad to hear you had a good time. Douthat is about 5 miles from my apartment so i can't even explain how awesome its been to live here for the past couple years. One of my favorite little rides is Blue Suck Falls > Locust Gap > Stony Run. Doesn't take long to hike and Locust Gap is so damn fun!

Another awesome ride is on the Brushy Mtn side. Take Ross Camp Hollow to Mountain Top Trail, then ride the rolling ridge all the way down Brushy Hollow Trail. There are a few good climbs, but the descent on Brushy Hollow is uncomparable to anything else in the park!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Definitely an A ticket ride!! :thumb:
hell yeah!

Mike, if you get some vacation time this spring and want to get some riding in, let me know man. With the mild winter weather we've been finding new trails in this area for the past couple months. Some are shuttle-able, some are hike-a-bike, and some are loops. My favorite (BY FAR!), is one we found recently that connects Middle Mountain Trail @ Douthat (the ridge with the cabin), to the Clifton Forge Resevoir. The descent from the ridge to the resevoir takes 45 minutes to hike up and my fastest time down so far is 6:36, just to give you an idea of the speeds you can get up to.

Blah blah blah. I'll stop rambling now. Get at me if you're interested!

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
Rode Douthat 2 weekends ago...Middle mountain side was in great shape, some wet snow on the very top.
Nothing you couldn't pedal through...one blow down in a corner on the Stony Run Falls trail, you can hop over it.
One blow down on the Locust Gap trail, waist high...
Other than that...super fun!!!
Hey blue berry no one asked you what the trails were like, :disgust1:
haha jk I have to bust on you more since its your b-day. and the snow on the top is so cool, very thin layer just looks nice.

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
What descent are you referring to? When you say cabin, you mean the cabin at the overlook facing Beard's Gap, right?
I might go back up there in the coming weeks, I'd be happy to hike it with ya.
There is another steep descent there worth hiking...if you drive all the way up the Ross Camp road, there is a trailhead up there which dumps you out at the Guest Lodge trail, then it's a pretty short hike to the top of the Mountain Top trail. Well, I guesstimate 30-35 minutes or so...
I was thinking you could hit Mountain Top to the Ross Camp trail straight back down to Ross Camp...then drive back up to the mid-point again.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
What descent are you referring to? When you say cabin, you mean the cabin at the overlook facing Beard's Gap, right?
I might go back up there in the coming weeks, I'd be happy to hike it with ya.
There is another steep descent there worth hiking...if you drive all the way up the Ross Camp road, there is a trailhead up there which dumps you out at the Guest Lodge trail, then it's a pretty short hike to the top of the Mountain Top trail. Well, I guesstimate 30-35 minutes or so...
I was thinking you could hit Mountain Top to the Ross Camp trail straight back down to Ross Camp...then drive back up to the mid-point again.

dude!....why are you selling that beauty?! i'd give my friggin' left nut for that thing. oh how it sucks to be a financially-challenged college student...:drool:

i was referring to the Brushy Mtn. descent. the descent from Mountain Top down Ross Camp is also kick@ss to the Nth degree, but instead of coming back down Ross Camp, you continue on the ridge towards Beards Gap and then climb back up to another overlook with a small stone bench at the summit of Brushy Mtn. after leaving that overlook, there is a SCORCHING downhill probably 4 miles long that takes you back to the first parking lot on the right side when entering Douthat. there are so many combinations to make in that park its ridiculous.

lemme know in advance when you're coming up and i'll make sure i'm off work and school-free!